Quantcast

Photo

Is your house an extention of your tack room?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 creis

creis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:42 PM

While cleaning the house this morning, I realized that probably 1/4 of my horse equipment in the house.

I found a headstall that I had completely forgotten about hanging on the hall tree under the coats. A set of reins and a winter blanket that I had washed in the spring, hiding in the hall closet. I have a saddle stand sitting in the living room. A set of spurs in a basket on a book case. Bell boots? Found one of them in the corner by the couch and another behind it. Found a bunch of lead ropes, halters, shampoo, brushes etc in the basement...

LOL, I never realized how much horsey equipment I had in the house. I'd seen it before, but its like the house is even an acceptable place to store it as well as the tack room,

SO.... I thought it would be fun for everyone to walk through your house now and post what you find thats horsey related laying around your home!

#2 r_beau

r_beau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

Hmmm, actually the only horse tack item we have in our horse is my mom's old black leather parade bridle and breastcollar hanging on the wall for decoration. And I guess we do bring in some of the liniments and horse meds in the house during the winter so they don't freeze.

Otherwise, we have a huge barn and hayloft in which to store things, so all our stuff is out there!

#3 MondaesMom

MondaesMom

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

Ok, here's the walk through:

Laundry room: Back up medical supplies with liquid penicillin, bute and ace in the old fridge, Thorowgood All Purpose English saddle with leathers (it's kept inside b/c it's my very first new new saddle)

Mud room: girth to cinch converters for my Aussie (hanging on coat hooks)

Kitchen: Gallon of fly spray concentrate under the sink ( I mix in the house)

Master Bed room: Show headstall, show halter, sometimes a pick and a comb or two...or more [Embarrassed]

Garage: more medical supplies

Do mud encrusted boots count? Those are in the front entry, the garage entry and living room right now.

#4 creis

creis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MondaesMom:

Do mud encrusted boots count? Those are in the front entry, the garage entry and living room right now.

LOL, yep, they sure do!! Anything for horsey or "caused" by horsey count! [Big Grin]

#5 MarsCandyBar

MarsCandyBar

Boiler for Life - Loyalty Lives Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

Sadly when I moved out of the house for college, my room at home kind of became a tack room. The humidity in our tack room bounces around a lot in the winter so mom brings the saddles home so they don't mildew. So I had 4 saddles sitting in my room. Plus various girths, breastcollars, bridles, etc. I don't have too much stuff in my apt here, but I have my saddle, pads, etc in my car.

#6 WarPony

WarPony

Teeny Tiny Equine Of DOOOM!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

My house IS my tack room. I have a tiny little barn with no good safe place for my tack, so all my good stuff comes right in the house with me. From where I sit on my couch I can touch a harness, two halters, and an English draft horse sized bridle (which is odd because I haven't ever owned a draft horse and haven't ridden one in about 5 years).

#7 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

well, the garage has my portable saddle rack, laundry that needs to be done [sheets, slinkies, saddle pads]...then the laundry room has my schooling field boots and some saddle pads.

the main hallway has my show boots.

that about it till you get up to my bathroom which is where i have a standing martingale hanging on my towel rack. [?]

#8 rodeomom63

rodeomom63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:32 PM

Fly spray on the shelf in the laundry room, spurs in the kitchen on the key rack. ferizone or however you spell it, in the medicine cabinet!

Boots that reek in the entrance way. Daughters bedroom is ridiculous, halters, leads, bridles, saddle pads, hay bags!!!!

Her bath smells like leather and horse! maybe its her! [ROTFL]

Shhhh - as for Daphne, her and Jim could start a tack shop out of their house!!!!!! [ROTFL]

#9 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

I honestly have enough tack to outfit 4 horses, and I only have two. Since it's getting on to the point where the snow could fly any day now, most of my tack is now in the house. Along with any horse supplies that could freeze, that I don't want to freeze.

At any given time you can find SMB's in the laundry room, saddle blankets in the porch, fly bonnets in the porch, reins hangin from a coat hook. Enough ropes to hang oneself, in almost every room of the house. Brushes that have been washed or need to be washed on the cupboard. Supplements on the cupboard. Lead rope clips, O rings, D rings and other misc hardware on my dishwasher. Leg wraps in my bedroom. It's everywhere. And I like it! [Big Grin]

#10 rodeomom63

rodeomom63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

Mudder Your post reminded me of what the 2 little grandaughters were doing here the other day!

Playroom full of toys, and they got the legwraps, bellboots, and ropes and played one was the horsey!!!

Even had a bowl of water on the floor and got hay from outside to eat!! [ROTFL]

Just too cute, shorts with boots on one and legwraps on the other!!!

#11 PineBarSissy

PineBarSissy

"PBS"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,476 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

I do have a tack room in my barn. It still has some openings toward the top so things get dusty & moldy sometimes. I have all my show tack in one of my spare rooms. Saddle, bridle, etc. I've got a bosal in the front room, boots & spurs at the front door . I think that's about it so most of my tack is in the barn or the trailer.

#12 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,232 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

I don't have to do a walk-through, my house IS my tackroom, since the tack room hasn't been built yet. In just the living room; 2 saddles, 3 bridles hanging on doorknobs, along with several spare bits. A box of co-flex, 3 new corner feed tubs, 6 waterbuckets, 4 brushes, a shampoo mit, 2 sweatscrapers, 3 rubber currys, 7 halters of various sizes. Now, have we got room for the back bedroom, where MOST of the stuff is? [Razz]

#13 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

Since I just moved out of my old self-care barn and into Phurgus's I have a TON of barn stuff in my house.

Beginning in the kitchen:
Muck boots, riding boots. Western Saddle, 2 western saddle pads. 4 extension cords. 3 Halogen lights from the barn. A bag of shavings.

In the fridge: vaccs, bute, banamine

In the freezer: a leg.

Spare bedroom: 2 saddles. Bell boots, leg wraps. Cowboy hats. Helmets.

Hall closet: headstall, two bits. Leather cleaning stuff. Blade cleaner stuff.

Entry: (hanging) coveralls, 2 barn vests, a girth, a headstall.

Basement: show headstall and breastcollar. Show saddle blanket. Reins. A plethora of other things in boxes.

Same with the garage. All sorts of crap.

Sigh.

#14 Vee

Vee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

Yup.. Kitchen.. various tack remedies.. bits of a bridle that needed oiling.. Spare room, = Blanket box.. boots, helmet, jacket.. hallway= second pare of boots + manure bucket stuffed with supplies that I'm not sure belong where...

#15 rodentra

rodentra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

Thankfully, my tack room is finally finished enough to empty out the downstairs bedroom! But all my bridles & breastcollars still hang in the living room- I plan on leaving the show stuff in the house even after I get hooks in the tack room. There's Betadine & iodine in the kitchen- probably for the dogs- but all the other stuff has moved to the barn. And of course the reeking boots are next to the front door- I seem to remember agreeing to keep them in the tack room in order to make construction move along, but it hasn't happened yet! [Big Grin]

#16 rodentra

rodentra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:29 PM

Oops! Almost forgot the 2 "project" saddles, heel rope, saddle bags & rifle scabbard on the upstairs railing!  -

#17 RodeoCowgirl504

RodeoCowgirl504

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:32 AM

Lets see... it used to be worse, until my Mom told me to remove some stuff, but here is what I have now.

In the basement (next to my bedroom) I have boxes of meds, supplements, and liquids to keep them from freezing & more to bring in. In my room I have a halter, lead rope, bridle & reins, brushes, mane & tail hair (from a deceased horse), saddle covers, and more.

Next the the front door, brand new barrel saddle & hot pink crop

Kitchen, meds in fridge, bridle & cleaner by sink (project for tomorrow)

Back door, cowboy boots and spurs along w/ halter & lead from the last horse I worked

Door between garage & house, muck boots

Utility room, wormers, polo wraps, sheets, and other things to be cleaned up

Theres probably more, I didn't walk through so I might have missed something!

#18 -half halt-

-half halt-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

Well in my room alone I have:
-3 blankets (one which I really need to sell on Ebay)
-My tall boots
-3 pairs of half chaps (I have no idea where they came from)
-Polo wraps
-A pile of pads
-A liquid Vitamin B supplement
-Fly spray
-Anti-bleaching spray (which my Chestnut really doesn't need)
-Some saddle covers
-A few hoofpicks
-Extra stirrup irons
-A hairnet or two
-Boot pulls

That's what I can think of or see at the moment...

#19 MondaesMom

MondaesMom

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

Oh, look rodentra! Your cat rides too!

-

Yup, that's the new saddle and I suppose I should call it Princess Rerun's saddle....sigh

#20 t_air_e

t_air_e

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRooShmancyNShy:

does this not concern anyone else? Broo, do we even want to know? Oh wait, were you the one that posted that your farrier gave you a leg to practice trimming on?

I live in a small college owned apartment. It has 2 bedrooms, 1 mini bathroom, a living room, a kitchen and a laundry room. I have 1 saddle, 7ish halters, and a tube of wormer and a box of leg wraps inside. In my car, i have a rope halter with leadrope, my grooming stuff, another tube of wormer, and pony treats.

#21 creis

creis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:24 AM

LOL, I think we all need a sign to hang on our entryways, that reads something like, my home is my tack room [Crazy] I dont know about anyone else, but if there were no tack in my house it wouldn't feel like home!!

#22 HoofsinMotion

HoofsinMotion

Invisible Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:13 AM

Oh I hope not! But it is. Saddle pad on deck, where I put it after every ride to dry out. Wormer in kitchen and stuff in the fridge for the sickies.

Mud boots by patio door for when it is wet. Riding boots by the fireplace.

Soo sad since I have tack in my trailer, barn, and even in the garden shed, plus my truck and car. LOL

#23 all4thehorses

all4thehorses

Professional Pooper Scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:28 AM

An extension, no. I have no tack room, so my house is where I store ALL of my tack: 5 saddles, 17 bridles, and I have no idea how many pads, bits. etc.

#24 lisafitz

lisafitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

I board my horses.

I have stuff at the barn. In my car. In my garage. In my camper. In my room. My daughters room lookes like it should be the tack room at the barn.

And my youngest daughter has her own halter (we bought it for her pony but it was too small) and lead rope in her toy box. She puts in on her rocking horse.

#25 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

LOL. Yeah, that's why. Only now, it's a cut up leg...which probably makes me even scarier. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by t_air_e:
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRooShmancyNShy:

does this not concern anyone else? Broo, do we even want to know? Oh wait, were you the one that posted that your farrier gave you a leg to practice trimming on?

I live in a small college owned apartment. It has 2 bedrooms, 1 mini bathroom, a living room, a kitchen and a laundry room. I have 1 saddle, 7ish halters, and a tube of wormer and a box of leg wraps inside. In my car, i have a rope halter with leadrope, my grooming stuff, another tube of wormer, and pony treats.