Are you superstitious?

Maybe a little?

Friday the 13th?
Black cats?
Throwing salt over your shoulder?
Opening an umbrella in the house?
Stepping on a crack?
Hat on the bed?

If you are, why? Do you have anything to validate your superstitions?

#2 JrRodeoMom

JrRodeoMom

It's not all about YOU!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:45 PM

Nope. Not superstitious, but when we go out to eat and tip over the salt shaker, I take a pinch and throw it at hubby. Just being silly. [Razz]

#3 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:24 PM

I adopted the Macbeth superstition when I worked in the theater. If one says the dreaded name of the Scottish play (as it's referred to, to avoid the "curse") or its main character inside the theater while Macbeth is not being rehearsed or performed, terrible things will happen. (I don't believe those terrible things were ever enumerated.)

If I recall correctly, the person who said the name had to go outside, turn around three times to the left, and spit.

It was just fun. And I love throwing salt over my shoulder, so I do that one too. I can't think of any I really follow/believe in, though...

#4 Partner N Crime Enterprises

Partner N Crime Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

I am a tad bit superstitious when it comes to rodeoing...I never put the hat on the bed, never ware yellow, always keep the open end of my hat up so I don't "spill the luck" out, and I've worn the same underwear for the last ten years...okay that last one is a lie, but just thought I'd throw it in there for grins!

I don't have anything big to validate my antics, except for one time I did set my hat on the bed and uhh yeah my rodeo was a nightmare, my d-ring on my cinch snapped going into the arena and my horses tie down flew up and popped my poor horse in the face, well he ducked and then my reins flipped over his head so I had both of them on one side...it was bad. We were able to finish our run and not in too bad of time lol.

[ 06-19-2008, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Partner N Crime Enterprises ]

#5 jushorsinroun

jushorsinroun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:23 PM

My hubby is to all of them, me to some. Don't know why. He also says you can't sweep or vacuum at night, it brings the evil spirits in. Okay? I use to all the time, now I can't. But then again before I met him I had spirits or ghost in my house and come to think of it they were more active after doing that. He didn't believe me that I had them, until he seen it first hand. Scared the crap outta him. I laughed my butt off! lol [Big Grin]

Oh and if you drop a fork or knife (don't remember which one) someone will be coming to visit.

Once coming home a black cat crossed our path. There is only one way in, so I had to turn around go around the corner (because you have to turn around and turn a corner before coming back)and come back. Wouldn't you know it that **** cat crossed our path again, and again and again. I took us 10 mins to get home when we were pretty much right infront of our driveway. [Crazy]

#6 Wild Horse Hans

Wild Horse Hans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

The only one I have had come true is "Never leave port on a Friday" It is an old sailors thing.
Well, we left port on a Friday once. Made it 5 miles out and blew a head gasket on the main engine. My Brother said we should stay in, but time was a wastin and we had to make Skagway AK, so we left. Never have left port on a Friday since.

#7 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

I don't think I am really...though I do do the whole "knock on wood" thing--mostly for dramatic effect as in, "You just doomed us, buddy..."

Another thing though again not so superstitious is that I tend to pay attention to my gut a lot more. So if I get a feeling like something bad is going to happen, I tend to adjust accordingly.

#8 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

My dad was terribly superstitious so some of it rubbed off on me as "habit" more than anything.

I don't open an umbrella in the house ...

I throw salt over my shoulder most times ...

I knock on wood ...

But Friday the 13th, or the number 13, mean nothing to me. Neither do black cats.

I'm with you though B'roo on the whole gut feeling thing. Intuition rarely steers me wrong if I listen to it.

#9 RixKatToy

RixKatToy

Blurred Individual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,808 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

I dont' think I'm really supersitious I do it more for the reaction I get from Mr. Kat. If my hands itch I'll turn towards him and say we've got to go buy a lottery ticket, or if my foot itches I tell him I must be going somewhere soon. He was raised in a strict Catholic home so that kind of stuff just gets him going. My grandmother on the other hand was a superstisous fool. She had all kinds of incantations she'd say, little critters to set on her slot machines, exacta numbers for the horse races and numbers to play on Keno, Lotto & Super Lotto. When we put her urn in the ground we buried her with those same Lotto numbers on a ticket from the week of play when she died. Don't know if it was all those things or just plain luck but she hit those same numbers for a 100K just a few years before.

The one that I've done since I was a kid and get teased about ALL the time by husband and kids is when you see a white horse you lick the pad of your thumb, press it into the palm of your other hand then make a fist and smack the same palm while saying "money before the week's out". Something I learned from that same Grandma.

#10 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andi:
But Friday the 13th, or the number 13, mean nothing to me. Neither do black cats.

I'm actually quite fond of black cats... [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Wild Horse Hans:
The only one I have had come true is "Never leave port on a Friday"

For some reason, I read that as "never leave a porta-potty on a Friday"!

[ 06-19-2008, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Kina Kat ]

#11 WBduet

WBduet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,660 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

The one thing I'm SUPER weird about is the whole "knock on wood" thing. I have to do it everytime if needed. Or else it bothers me the rest of the darn day lol

#12 Wild Horse Hans

Wild Horse Hans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kina Kat:
quote:
Originally posted by Andi:

I'm actually quite fond of black cats... [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Wild Horse Hans:
The only one I have had come true is "Never leave port on a Friday"

For some reason, I read that as "never leave a porta-potty on a Friday"!

That too! [ROTFL]

#13 daphne

daphne

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

being a rodeo person, you never ever put your hat on a bed. and if you did then you must throw it in a corner and spit on it. i know really disgusting but oh well. Never wear yellow is another biggy. I had a yr were i wore yellow lots. every time i wore it i hit a pole or a brrel. decided to try something. one no yellow was on i had perfect runs, wore yellow i always hit something.

black cats are nothing. that all i have is black barn cats.

#14 rwdodgerblue

rwdodgerblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:12 AM

Hey, Andi, I never heard the one about the hat on the bed. Guess I'd better quit doing that. I always knock on wood, though I'm not very superstitious. My hubby always thought Friday the 13th was a lucky day, so I carry on the tradition. [Confused]

#15 Bluesma

Bluesma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:52 AM

I have a black cat who is always with me, and I tend to think of him as good luck, for some reason.

I don't have any traditional superstitions, but I have formed my own feeling that when a raven flies over me, it is somehow a good omen. Just because it seemed repeatedly that that would happen before an especially good day.

We have a plant in front of our door that we'd read according to Feng Shui (don't know how one spells that in english) is supposed to attract money.

So my husband has gotten really set on that, and when he saw the plant dead one day from frost, he got really upset! He couldn't stop worrying about it. So I went and got another one just so he could have peace of mind.

But not long after the first one died, we had a huge drop in our regular income because of changes in the company he works for, that set us in a financial crisis for a while. So I got a job and that helped, but also his pay went back up. He is convinced it was because of the death of that plant.

#16 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,278 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:00 AM

SHHHH...the refrigerator is listening!

As soon as you talk about having a little extra money, something is sure to break down and cause an expense! [Roll Eyes]

#17 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,224 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wild Rose:
SHHHH...the refrigerator is listening!

As soon as you talk about having a little extra money, something is sure to break down and cause an expense! [Roll Eyes]

Yup. I almost had enough money saved up for something I needed, and had to use $1000 of it for repairs just THIS month! Truck, dryer, AC unit, and one silly colt.

#18 montikarla

montikarla

Beware the Mare!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:57 PM

I'm not really superstitious. My mare tends to behave better on full moons though. Hmmmmm...

#19 Remy

Remy

The Old Un

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:04 PM

My favorite is...if you drop a glove accidentally......and get someone else to pick it up....and DO NOT say "Thank You", then you will get a good surprise.

I have to say it did work for me once. I was told NOT to say thank by the person who handed me my glove and he explained why. And sure enough about an hour later I came into a little money - enough for a ticket from the US to the UK and back. But I don't think it had anything to do with the superstition.....so I guess I am not superstitious.

#20 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,662 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

I'm not really superstitious... and it seems it's different things you need to watch out for in Sweden compared to here in the US [Crazy] HOWEVER, there are a few things I do, or don't do, because of superstition I don't REALLY believe in. [Roll Eyes] I don't put keys or shoes on the table and I do knock on wood... It seems I just can't stop myself even though I don't believe in it. [Crazy]

#21 Dukes Mom

Dukes Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

I'm a little bit superstitiuos. I always wear two different colored socks when showing. I'm not sure where I got that from. But I'm too afraid to stop doing it.

Black cats are good luck to me. When one crosses my path I feel good. Also Friday the 13th doesn't bother me.

I am afraid to kill spiders for fear they will retaliate [Crazy] but I think that's karma. So I try to catch and release outside.

#22 lynnehall67

lynnehall67

I am still alive.... and here's proof.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

So I'm confused. Are you supposed to throw the salt over your shoulder??? or at your date?

And what's the superstition about a hat on the bed? I've never heard of that.

#23 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lynnehall67:
So I'm confused. Are you supposed to throw the salt over your shoulder??? or at your date?

Huh? Who said to throw salt at a date? [Question]

[ 06-24-2008, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Kina Kat ]

#24 Dukes Mom

Dukes Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

A friend of mine almost stabbed her date with her fork after he told her, he loved the idea that she is a cheap date!!!! [Bang Head]

Oh wait salt.... well shoot throw the salt shake at em! [ROTFL]

#25 lynnehall67

lynnehall67

I am still alive.... and here's proof.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lynnehall67:

Huh? Who said to throw salt at a date? [Question]
It was JrRodeoMom... second post in this thread.
quote:
Not superstitious, but when we go out to eat and tip over the salt shaker, I take a pinch and throw it at hubby. Just being silly.
Now do you see my confusion?

#26 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:25 PM

Ah ha. Aiming it at her husband was just to be funny, I think.

If you spill salt, you're "supposed" to toss some over your (left?) shoulder. I can't remember why...

#27 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

quote:
Ah ha. Aiming it at her husband was just to be funny, I think.

If you spill salt, you're "supposed" to toss some over your (left?) shoulder. I can't remember why...

To chase the evil spirits away ...

And saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is to protect their spirit from evil spirits ...

#28 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

But what does throwing salt have to do with chasing away spirits? For that matter, what does spilling salt have to do with attracting spirits? [Question]

#29 jump_for_joy

jump_for_joy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

I'm not really sure. This past Friday the 13th I had a friend who was severely hurt and probably won't be able to use his arm again. But that could be coincidence. I also got my new car this past Friday 13th, so I sure hope I don't have any bad luck with it. [Wink]

#30 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:06 AM

quote:
But what does throwing salt have to do with chasing away spirits? For that matter, what does spilling salt have to do with attracting spirits? [Question]

Here is the "origin" to the salt thing ...

quote:
If you fall victim to this dilemma, simply take a pinch of salt and toss it over your left shoulder, "right into the Devil's face."

Origin. Salt was once a rare and costly commodity. As such, it was economic waste to spill any. Also, salt is a purifier, a preservative, and it symbolizes the good and lasting qualities of life. It was mixed into the foods used in the religious ceremonies of both the Greeks and Romans. One source of this superstition is Leonardo da Vinci's painting of the Last Supper--the betrayer Judas has accidentally spilled salt onto the table.