• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 baaby1

baaby1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:38 AM

Just curious to know what everyone pays for their farrier work..I pay 130 for shoes on all fours...40 for a trim for my yearling.Thats about the average around here(Socal)whats everyone elses?

#2 StopDropRollChic

StopDropRollChic

Lost in the sauce! Like a meatball.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:02 AM

N. NJ- Here my Natural Hoof Farrier charges $40 for a trim on all fours, back when I had shoes it was $96 for two cold ones, no clips on the fronts. For all fours it can range from $120-175.
Oh and forget pads!

#3 rancherdeb

rancherdeb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:30 AM

Out here, southwest of Tucson, my farrier charges $25.00 per trim for each of our horses and burros. I split the $20.00 trip charge with my neighbor, who also has her horse trimmed on the same schedule. The farrier is amazing AND dependable!

#4 equinelvr

equinelvr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

Here is colorado I have 2 farriers.....1 for my show horse and he is 175 to shoe, he wears alluminum on front and sliders on back. my other farrier is 30 for trims and 75 for shoes more when i have him do sliders but he is not as good so I don't have him do my show horse. He is great with my horses very patient.

#5 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

Central NC. Mid-priced farrier.

$25 for a trim

$55 for basic front shoes - minor forge work.

$65 for thicker/wider front shoes with toe clips - minor forge work.

No trip charge. He is always on time (except the time he locked his keys in his truck at the gas station and he called) and always calls the day before to confirm. He is also amazing with the horses. He is slow, gentle and wonderful with a nervous or new horse. He never remembers their names, but always remembers every horse by their hooves and can recall exactly how far they have come and what he is working towards. [Not Worthy]

[ 11-24-2007, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

#6 TigerLily

TigerLily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:51 AM

$250 for shoes all around.

#7 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

I write a check for 85 when I get my two trimmed. I think it's 35/trim and I tip. She doesn't charge a farm call, but she drives nearly an hour to get to me. Is on time. Great w/ the horses. Does a great job. Etc.

#8 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

Hi
Well, i only have afarrier out when I get a horse shod, as I do all my own trimming.
basic shoes-hot shod is $100 . In the fall we add borium smeers-coste $130 all around. Haven't had a horse shod with sliders for several years, as I have switched to all around horses. Used to be $140, with the sliders being custom built from straight steel
I don't put aluminium shoes on the front of my pleasure horses like many do. The weight difference makes no difference in the leg action. The reason behind aluminium shoes is that they tend to grab the dirt more, like barefoot, therefore the thought that they make a horse somewhat more slowlegged,keeping the foot longer on the ground
Don't know the purpose of shoing reiners with aluminium up front-the reiners I know don't, butI'm sure those that do feel it has some advantage.
Reiners like Craig Johnson are actually shoing the front of their reiners with the balance shoes developed by Gene Onervick-which create natural breakover and support -next best to barefoot.

#9 -half halt-

-half halt-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:49 PM

$150 for shoes all around.

#10 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:52 PM

Smilie what is a borium smeers?

My farrier charges 30 for a trim, but she charges me 25 because we are friends.

For cold shoeing she charges 75, and I dont know what she charges for hot shoeing.

#11 Sara*Elise

Sara*Elise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:57 PM

$35 for a standard trim in the furthest southeast corner of VA.

#12 redneckcowgirl

redneckcowgirl

Fecal Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

[ROTFL] You guys don't even WANT to know what it costs me to have CJF do one of my horses!!!
So I do most of them myself, under his supervision, unless I get cocky & try by myself. Last summer he had to put some aluminums on Bo's fronts when I screwed him up 2 days before a show & made him sore. Pulled them off a week later. Otherwise everyone is barefoot now. 3 weeks ago I did 5 of them all by myself, and they're all fine, so I must be learning something! [Yay]
We DO have to put some custom shoes on the old navicular mare here in the next few days... when Honey feels a little better after his stay in the hospital the other night.

But, I've had a couple friends need some emergency help, he charged $40 for a trim, $100 for some hot forged custom clipped fronts. (Probably would have been less, if her gelding wasn't such a freak. But he charges a handling fee if he has to train the horse to stand nicely for him.) But they had to bring the horses to our house. He doesn't do horses away from home any more.

#13 Horse_Girl_98

Horse_Girl_98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

I've used a bunch of different farriers.

Way back, in 1999 - 2001 I could have one farrier come out and trim for $10

Some other dude (same time period) shod for like $20 but that was for my little pony.

I had one awesome guy. Was $25 for a trim, horse and pony.

Now, with a REALLY spectacular farrier, its $30 for a trim, and I think it's around $50 for a shoes on the front.

I have a good freind that has worked with a farrier (he's 15) and he typically charges around 30 for two trims. *no flaming for his age, he's good

I think I paid around $60 for shoes all around last year.. Lite shoes and sliders/flat shoes on the back.

Or $45 for fronts. It all depends on the farrier.

I have used many different ones.

I'm in TN, close to Nashville/Chattanooga area

[ 11-24-2007, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Horse_Girl_98 ]

#14 Stridin Out

Stridin Out

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

$75 - shoe (all 4)
$30 - trim
Plus I always bake cookies or cake for my farrier. He rocks and I like to keep him happy! Ice tea, hot chocolate, pop, coffee, and water are always on hand for him.

He is (so far) the only farrier in this area that can handle my mare. She is awesome for him. Thank God for the great farriers!

#15 Chocomare

Chocomare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

I have a very gifted, talented farrier/trimmer.

1 Full Draft
1 1/2 Draft

Both get trimmed only: $70 for both.

And worth every blessed penny! [Not Worthy]

#16 ryde2rope

ryde2rope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

well... the last time I had a shoer out he charged $75.00 each horse(3 horses)for cold shoeing.. I couldn't ride them for 3 weeks cause they were all sore and lame. Definately trimmed to short.I also had a vet visit..... so I guess his shoe job went up lots more than $75.00 a horse. [Mad] I am waiting for them to grow out so I can find a DIFFERENT shoer.

#17 baaby1

baaby1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

Ryde2rope,

I would have lost it completely if it was my horse. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] Thankfully I havent had that happen yet...how did you react?

#18 K. Blue

K. Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:16 AM

I have an amazing farrier. I switched to him when I went to school three years ago (I had an amazing farrier before that, but he can't travel 2.5 hours for one horse). He gives a 4-H and college student discount. My geding costs me $125 for his GE/KB Navicular with rim pads on front and steel, clip, hot shoeing behind. A trim costs $25. He's amazing, very knowledgeable and willing to explain anything to you (and comes with a great sense of humor). I occationally bring him a case of beer and cookies (the cookies are for his wife).

#19 fjords_i_love'em

fjords_i_love'em

Cowgirl Up or stay in the truck.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:42 AM

For a barefoot trim $40! [Big Grin]

#20 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:13 AM

I've never put shoes on, so I don't know about that. Three years ago, it cost me $20 per horse for a trim. Pretty good deal, but this is what I got...(2 days after the farrier left and I had already bevelled the toes. Can you imagine the torque that was on them?

-
 -

I'm glad that you are happy with your trimmer Chocomare. Sounds like you've got a good trim and a good deal.

#21 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,363 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:45 AM

My barefoot trimmer charges me 82.50 for two horses.

That's 25.00 per horse, plus 32.50 for mileage. She travels quite a ways.

#22 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:51 AM

I don't do shoes either. I pay 30 per horse for a trim, and about 25 more for mileage. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how many horses he does in the area. I've paid as high as 145 for him to come and trim just my two boys. The mileage kills me sometimes, but I don't complain, because now I have a sound horse again. I LOVE my new farrier. [Big Grin]

#23 CrazyHorseGal

CrazyHorseGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

$30. for trim
$85. shoe fronts
don't know what he charges to shoe all 4!
$5. Trip charge.
He is always on time, never cancels, very polite.

#24 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:08 PM

$0.00 because I do them myself but I have to buy rasps and supplies on my own too.

My second choice is to have the one farrier I trust come and he charges a $20.00 trip fee, $25.00 a trim, $50.00 for fronts and $90.00 to $100.00 all around I think it was....He is the best in this area...

Average is 20 dollar trims and 55 to 65 dollars for shoes all the way round...

#25 mydakota

mydakota

Ex-Con

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:15 PM

In Central Oregon, I pay 30 for a trim and 65 for shoes all around.

#26 BellaRider

BellaRider

farmer's daughter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

eastern SD, our farrier is awesome, I think she charges $25 for a barefoot trim. plus she will deworm them, too, which is awesome because both ours are nuckleheads for the stuff. I don't know how much she charged for my miniature. she comes 120 miles, but she does about 40 different horses when she comes

#27 Hisoka Kurosaki

Hisoka Kurosaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,290 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

the farrier magic has trimmed all four hooves, and cold shod them for only $75

only problem was he was cruel and hit her in the stomach with the hammer on purpose :/

#28 zenna3

zenna3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

When I was still getting him out a year ago, my farrier charged $25 for a basic pasture trim, no mileage.

He was VERY hard to get a hold of, but he was very good with my horses. His trims were just ok, and he didn't give me a lot of information on WHY my horses heels were too high, how I could fight WLD, how I could bring my laminitic gelding's toes back, etc.

I charge myself nothing at all, and I get way more out of it knowing that I am keeping my horses sound, and have improved their feet!!

#29 Cavsoldier

Cavsoldier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:38 AM

I myself am located in Kansas and I charge 20 for barefeet trim and 50 for cold shoes. I charge 55 for clips and sliders. I don't do a trip charge and if I have to comeback which rarely ever happens i don't charge to put back a thrown shoe. But thats just me. Kinda guarentee the work.

#30 bmbranno

bmbranno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

I've had horses since I was 16 and am now 59.  Been through tons of farriers and suffered terrible losses because of inexperienced people in the trade.  All my horses have been barefoot over the years, but my greatest catastrophy was a young farrier who attempted to trim my very docile paint breeding mare and dropped her without releasing her foot when he lost his balance.  She landed on her front pastern and immediately lamed.  The next day I had the vet out and we did x-rays--her coffin bone was flipped.  When I called the farrier he denied any responsibility claiming she was favoring the foot to begin with.  After a year on Bute and losing tons of weight I fought the tears as I agreed to have my favorite gal put out of her misery.  I live in the outskirts of Tucson--cowboy country, and there are dozens of farriers here.  But I have found over the years that many are unqualified, impatient, over-priced, and have big egos.  Few fit the bill of doing the job because they love it.  Most don't want to deal with 'kicky' horses as they put it.  They want an animal that literally shakes hands with them.  Prices range from $30-$50 a horse, all fours.  I've always been generous and paid for gas as well.  I now work with 'rescues' and as most people know rescues are seldom good with their feet.  My current farrier has decided he's too good to deal with these 'kicky' animals and claims they are the worst of all his clients.  Frustrated, I found a trainer, and with his help the two of us are trimming the 'boys' on our own by regaining their confidence that they won't get a lip chain or a nose twitch slapped on in the process.  I guess my point here is what happened to the real farriers?  The good ones that did their job without complaint, took pride in what they did, and did it for pennies on the dollar.  Yes, that was long ago, but I feel this changing world has also eliminated the 'real' farriers worth keeping.  It's too bad.  I'm saving $200 in the process, but I'm also doing the job that these other farriers weren't capable or willing to do, and I'm a 59 year old lady.  I'd gladly pay a reliable, honest, and gentle farrier if there were one available, but so far I have yet to find one in Tucson.  Anyone out there know of someone I can call?