• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LassieLu

LassieLu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

I can't find the cheapy one I bought, hubby sharpened it and all, but it was pretty worthless.

I know Buddyroo liked her Loop knife, and others like the regular knife....

Can you tell me the pros and cons of each type of knife? I am left handed, but have learned to be ambidexturous (SP?).
I don't want to buy a super expensive one.
Do any of them come pre-sharpened or is it always necessary to sharpen before use?
My mare has smaller feet (I think the one time she needed a shoe it was an "0".)

Thanks for any suggestions!

PS Where has Trimmer gone to? Haven't seen any posts from him in ages.

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

I've used both, but I'll tell you why I like the Hall loop:

-the loop part is great for cleaning up the frog without having any cutting edge to slip down

-Some of the regular knifes that I've handled have slightly bendy blades. I like that the loop knife if very firm.

-I like that it's short. I feel like I have more control with the shorter blade. Doesn't feel like it takes as much strength/effort

All that said, realize that I was taught with a loop knife and I think there's something to be said for "familiarity"....

I believe mine was about 30 bucks and came very sharp. I use a chain saw file to sharpen and I sharpen every few uses. I am not one who knows how to sharpen real well, LOL--but I was able to figure this out.

#3 LassieLu

LassieLu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

BuddyRoo,

Which specific brand do you like?

#4 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,498 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

I have a local fella who makes knives for a living. I have a set of kitchen knives made by him. He's awesome. I just take my hoof knife to him every so often and he sharpens it for me. He does my nippers too. [Big Grin] For free. He's making me my very own hoof knife. I told him what I wanted, he drew up some pics and I chose what one I wanted. I can't wait for him to get it done. [Big Grin]

#5 horses85

horses85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

BuddyRoo, do you remember where you got your loop knife? I have looked for one and can't find one for a reasonable price, that is decent quality. The one Pete R. uses is $150. [Me Cry]

Mudder, does your friend sell anything online? [Question]

#6 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

Mine is a Hall Loop Knife.

Jumpin tried the custom Pete one and IIRC liked mine better. But you'd have to ask her for sure. [Wink]

I got mine from Washoe Valley Farrier Supply

www.washoevalleyfarriers.com

They are in Nevada (I ordered online). Their phone is 800 238 7211

The knife was 31.00

I also bought my Save Edge Rasps there.

#7 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

well they both have their separate uses
A loop knife is great foe opening up an abbcess . A general hoof knife is used the rest of the time by myself .

#8 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

yea, I liked B-Roos Hall knife a LOT.

I actually have all 3. PRs $150 knife, a double edged straight, and the Hall knife.

I liked the Hall knife at first because it was sharper, more like a razor, and it is a small loop, that helps get into the cleft.

but, since then, Ive gotten really good at sharpening and found the hall knife just couldnt hang the distance (it is the weaker knife now, a couple of swipes and it loses all sharpness), but, the $150 knife has held up like trooper. and now I use that almost exclusivley.

I also have the double sided straight one, that I use sometimes..

I guess it depends on my mood, because I still do occassionaly pull out the hall knife too...

I just put all 3 in my pocket and grab the one Im in the mood for at the time

Sharpening and the type of metal, I think is the key to any knife.

you cant go wrong with the $150 investment in a good knife, made with strong metal. you will have the knife for a long time. (I use the chainsaw sharpener too) but, if you only do 1 or 2 horses every few weeks, the hall knife is great too, but, you will have to replace it more often.

#9 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,498 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by horses85:
BuddyRoo, do you remember where you got your loop knife? I have looked for one and can't find one for a reasonable price, that is decent quality. The one Pete R. uses is $150. [Me Cry]

Mudder, does your friend sell anything online? [Question]

I don't know. He sells his hunting knives etc he makes, but I don't know if he sells online. I can find out if you like. [Big Grin]

ETA: he makes very nice excellent quality knives, but they are very expensive.

[ 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Mudder ]