1838 replies to this topic

#1561 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

We had a pretty uneventful 4th. Took a few extra days off for vacation to just enjoy not working. One of the girls that use to ride with me asked if she could come out and ride again last week (after almost 5 years of not riding with us). So, we rode Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Hubby went out with me for night rides Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. We were out until after midnight all nights taking advantage of the slightly cooler temps and the full moon. Neighbor's boy came over and rode Hunter a few times too. Leave it to us to put our horses to regular use when we get the super high temps. Never saddled up before 7:30 in the evening though.
Board buddies I've met: Doublelhorses, Trail-Rider, DeLucky2, blaze1, HorseLuvrinIL

#1562 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

Just got back from rafting yesterday. I got second degree sunburns. So my boydriend is taking care of the horses until i can move. It hurts to walk.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Little Twister-4yr John Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt
RIP 2/5/12 Riley-22yr Appaloosa Gelding~always in my heart. Love ya old man. </3

You can't beat a dead horse,but you can drag it around the square!

You know you're a horse person when...
your boyfriend complains that you love your horse more than you love him and you say: "And your point is..?"
...no one wants to ride in your car because they'll get sweet feed and hay in their socks and on their clothes...but that's ok because you'll have to rearrange all the tack to make room for them anyway!

#1563 ConniSB

ConniSB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Had a quiet 4th...I grilled burgers and dogs,hubby got out the icecream freezer and made ice cream, it was so good! We took food over to mother in laws house (she lives next door) just the 3 of us. Oh got the horses re-shod too (this was a suprise)

I guess I'm not a 'real' cowgirl...I have not even attempted to ride in this heat, matter of fact don't think I've ridden since Memorial day weekend...I did get the horses re-shod on the 4th..farrier called and said he could get me in early morning and he needed to go out of town on the weekend,which was when I had the appointment so I took the horses to him. I really like this guy! He is so good with Lucas, he takes the time to show me where he is seeing improvements on his feet. His feet look better than they have in years! He still has some inflamation in the toe, but its slowly growing out.

We did get some rain Sunday evening thank goodness! I've been so dang busy working, then canning/freezing. I'm getting so dang crabby I can't stand myself! I NEED TO RIDE! Hope everyone has a great week.
Connie

#1564 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Connie - I don't think riding in the recent heat makes anyone a real cowgirl or cowboy, just shows we need our heads examined!! lol
The weather the past couple days has been wonderful when we get home from work. Been working a little with Karma but haven't gone riding since the temps dropped (again, need the head examined!!). Ameren is in the process of running a new electric line from our house up to the road. They have a line trenched all the way from our house right now up to the neighbor's private campground. Said they would be out running pipe and wire for 2-3 weeks. Monday we had to put car ramps down to get across the 3' deep trench to get our work car out of the shed since we had drove hubby's truck that day and didn't think to pull the car out before leaving.

Have a family reunion scheduled for this weekend and a cousin is coming in from Hawaii for her annual visit, so no camping for us this weekend. She's staying at the local cabin resort Monday - Wednesday, which is only about 2 1/2 miles down the road from us, so I'm guessing we might saddle up to ride down and visit her one of those days.
Board buddies I've met: Doublelhorses, Trail-Rider, DeLucky2, blaze1, HorseLuvrinIL

#1565 ConniSB

ConniSB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Got invited to go camping/riding this weekend at 34 Ranch...I'm just too exhausted to go. I want to ride but think I'll just ride the trails at home if its not too hot or raining. We are supposed to get rain, I hope we do!
Connie

#1566 doublelhorses

doublelhorses

Owner of 2 crazy redheads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

Still hot here. Think if I'm going to get any ride time in I will have to get up early, maybe daybreak, to stay cool. Flash seems sound, at least he is still walking and running in the pasture and being herd boss, but seems his hock is swelling again. Have a call in to vet to see if we have other options for inflammatioon rather than bute as they don't want him on bute due to the liver. I see leg wraps in my future again. :( Then to top it off he came in with a small semi circle cut on the other hind leg. Seems to be superficial with no swelling and is only about the size of a small washer. Have no idea what happened :confused0024:
Hope everyone is staying cool and safe.

doublelhorses

Sugar - 15 yr old AQHA
Banjo - 30 yr Red Lepard Appy - Retired to a life of ease - Taught many a kid to ride.

New ride - Buddy, aka JR, 15 yr TWH
2 dogs and 2 cats

RIP - Midnight Blue, Registered Tennesse Walker, 36 yrs young, gone to the Rainbow bridge on May 4, 2012

RIP - Flash, passed over the rainbow bridge on Aug 29,2013.  Never to be replaced.  My special guy.

Board buddies I have met: Eqrdr, Trail-rider, DeLucky, Eeyore4176, Colt

#1567 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

JC the new pony cut open his head right were his skull meets his ears. The vet was out and stitched it back up,but wasn't sure how well it would stay because the constant movement. So right now we are hoping for the best. He was giving him a 'light sedation'. Just enough to make him woozy so he would stand still. He weighs 450ish pounds and the vet gave enough for a 300lbs horse. He still went down. Not going to lie,it was funny to watch him stumble around before finally going down. Luckily we don't even have a barn and it was a nice open area free from sticks,stones,debris,and wire.

The vet said that he has gained weight. :yahoo: He was skinny and wormy when we first got him.

Skippy is doing better with his arthritus medicine.

I haven't ridden lately either,it's been waaaaay too hot around here. No realy shade to ride in so it's no fun.

Hope they can find something to help with him. My friend was battleing the same thing,she ended up using leg wraps and epsom salt poltice on her legs. That seemed to help.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt
RIP 2/5/12 Riley-22yr Appaloosa Gelding~always in my heart. Love ya old man. </3

your boyfriend complains that you love your horse more than you love him and you say: "And your point is..?"
...no one wants to ride in your car because they'll get sweet feed and hay in their socks and on their clothes...but that's ok because you'll have to rearrange all the tack to make room for them anyway!

#1568 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Double - sorry to hear Flash still isn't healing up. Been thinking of you. Hubby decided to sell the 49 Chevy now as he's just got too many projects and not enough hours in the day. How is your hubby coming along with the Studebaker?

Sakura - good deal on the gaining weight and getting the worms under control. Sucks about the head injury. Seems just about the time you get them looking good a new booboo appears. I only had to deal with stitches once and it about made me sick (Spirit's eye lid). I was very thankful that my other half went with so he could hold her head while I collected myself. I was fine with removing the stitches for her, just not when the vet put them in.

We haven't been riding either the past few days. Had family functions all weekend and now have a few hay fields to be cut and baled. Not going to complain about being in the hay fields. I'm sure it will be pretty weak in bale count, but the fields are ready to be cut if we are going to even hope for another one before end of season. Fingers crossed we get it landed, baled and stored then the rain hits like it usually does with the curse field (one on the cutting list this time around).

#1569 ConniSB

ConniSB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi everyone, nothing interesting going on in my neck of the woods..just too dang hot! I plan to take a vacation day tomorrow to catch up on house work (yuk) I've been busy canning/freezing and my house has suffered for it. I tell myself to get the house nice and clean NOW cuz its got to cool off sooner or later and I will be ready to ride!
Connie

#1570 doublelhorses

doublelhorses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Howdy all. Sitting here pouting because its nice outside! Wish I was home so I could ride. Hopefully tomorrow will be more of the same. Trying to decide if we are going to bail our one small field. No problem with letting it dry :rotf: Think we could cut, rake and bail in an assembly line if we had the tractors for it.
Have had hubby busy painting the house inside and repairing places where the drywall seam tape has come loose. He keeps grumbling saying he should have finished the drywall himself when we had the house built back 12 yrs ago. So everything is a mess. Still need to find new wallpaper or paint for the bathroom and bedroom. Have all the other room colors picked out and bought. Hopefully we will start putting things back together soon.
Hope everyon has a good weekend and gets a chance to ride some.

doublelhorses

Sugar - 15 yr old AQHA
Banjo - 30 yr Red Lepard Appy - Retired to a life of ease - Taught many a kid to ride.

2 dogs and 2 cats

RIP - Midnight Blue, Registered Tennesse Walker, 36 yrs young, gone to the Rainbow bridge on May 4, 2012

RIP - Flash, passed over the rainbow bridge on Aug 29,2013.  Never to be replaced.  My special guy.

#1571 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Double - we had the assembly line thing going on Wednesday. Hubby was raking and uncle was baling right behind him. I was in the truck picking up the hay bales in the fields that had already been baled. It really does not need much time to dry right now.

We put the horses back out in the grass pasture last night for the first time in what seems like forever. Had a little green growing along the treelines so figure it'll save us a couple bales a day to let them scrounge out there for a day or two. There is a lot of the mid height grass that they will eat on the trails but not at home, so maybe they will decide to start cleaning it up since the can't be as picky with the drought? Detail cleaned the stalls, dry lot and put out a new round bale with the slow feeder net so we are ready to go whenever they come back in.

#1572 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Well the stitches didn't last long at all. 4 days. :bang_head: It was 4:27 when i called the vet for advice,they close at 4:30. He was really nice and Doc Price came to the phone himself to talk to me. Nothing we can really do but let it heal on it's own now is what he told me. Which isn't good because I can see his ear cartilidge. :sick:

My friends aren't getting much hay off of their feilds right now. We need rain! And my pond is drying up,so I have to move the fence line back so they can still drink from it and stand in it to get releif from the heat.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt

#1573 doublelhorses

doublelhorses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Got in a short ride on Banjo Saturday morning before it got to hot. He did really well considering that he normally goes out with the other horses and rarely by himself. Was shocking to see the balck berry bushes all dried up and withered like they had been sprayed with weed killer. I do have to admit to a slight case of nerves when I started but they disappeared in a hurry. Had hoped to get Sugar out and work with her from the ground with a tie down on but didn;t happen with this heat. So I am still a bit nervous about riding her.

Hop[e everyone is staying cool and had a good weekend

doublelhorses

Sugar - 15 yr old AQHA

2 dogs and 2 cats

#1574 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Double - good deal about getting out and riding a little. We went to Wolf Creek Saturday and camped with a couple friends. I had thought about taking Spirit instead of Indigo, but decided I just wanted to have fun and not worry about her pitching a fit on the hitching post. It's been over 2 years since the last time she pulled back, but I just never truly trust her.

There were a handful of day riders, but we were the only ones there camping. Went out for 2 rides on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. It really wasn't that bad temp wise as long as you kept moving or if there was a breeze. Rue got to go on the trails with us this time instead of staying at the camper since no one else was out when we were heading out. For not quite being 5 months old, she got in about 20-25 miles of hill trails in 2 days. Stuck with our group and on the spots where you had to go single file she made sure to either be in the front or wait to be in the back. Never got too far ahead of us when she was leading and with a quick whistle or saying her name she came right back (when we chose a different trail than she thought we would take). Spooked up a couple deer and she started to try to chase them but came right back when told no.

At camp she did something we've never seen her do before. A guy came walking from his vehicle to meet a boat down at the bottom of the trail by our camping spots. She went crazy barking at him. Best guess is he startled her and she was protecting us? I put her back on her leash to let him get his cooler and stuff from his vehicle and she was totally fine with him even wagging her nub tail waiting for some attention. She did it again out on the trail when one of the kids with us went down to the lake at the lookout spot and was coming back up the hill. She couldn't see him and started barking like crazy until she saw who it was then she went back and laid down. She's never done that at home, but I guess no one ever walks up to our house, they always arrive in some sort of motorized or battery operated vehicle.

#1575 doublelhorses

doublelhorses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Glad you had a good ride. I am ready to go riding again, just want to get busy with Sugar so we can continue to get better. I'm sure our accisdent was just a fluke but I'm not willing to risk it happening again. Forgot to mention that Creed went with me and did great. Stayed within site and never pestered. Glad to hear that Rue was good and protective to boot. It sure is nice to let them go along when you can.

doublelhorses

Sugar - 15 yr old AQHA

2 dogs and 2 cats

#1576 ConniSB

ConniSB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Sounds like Rue is gonna make a great trail/camp dog! Saw your pic on FB, she's so dang cute!

Looks like I may have to start feeding a little hay now and then to my horses, pasture is a dry, crispy, mess. Lucas doesn't need it, but Lady doesn't hold her weight as well as he does (but he's a pig!)

Ya'll know anyone that goes to the 9 Day Trail Ride in southern Ill? I have some friends that go, but it isn't for me. It starts this weekend, it's just too hot. It always starts the last weekend of July.

If I'm gonna get any riding at all I guess I'm have to get up and hit the trails by 5:30-6:00 AM. The thing is on the trails around here the ticks are horrible! I spray with 40% deet and still get them all over me, I just don't know if its worth taking the risk of getting lyme diesase...and I have to bath which ever horse I ride afterwords to kill the ticks. I haven't found anything that will truly repel them off the horses. Lady gets big sores when she gets tick bites. Another area I can ride has gravel trails, fewer ticks but the dang horse flies will carry ya away! But,its been so hot I haven't seen many flies of any kinds...huh, maybe I'll take these trails and avoid ticks.

I have reservations at Hayes for Labor Day weekend, but I may end up canceling if the weather doesn't change. I'd worry that the creeks would be dry, no water for the horse on the trails. Also don't want to spend 4 days couped up in the horse trailer after riding.
Connie

#1577 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Connie - have you tried the spot on treatment for ticks? I use Equi-spot on ours as soon as I find a tick on any of the horses and seldom ever see one again. All of them are use to the frequent full body checks. Indigo & Hunter even lifts their tails to the other side for you if you scratch just a little on the rump of the side you want to check. Wolf Creek is known for having them pretty bad, but this year since they burned over 50% of the trails back in early spring I haven't noticed them being nearly what they were previous years.

We feed hay year round. We try not to turn ours out in the grass when it's too wet. Have them out there right now to try and conserve what hay we have to get through winter. Thankful that we have the tree lines on two sides were the grass didn't get totally fried and we only cut it once so there is still stuff to eat, just not the stuff they prefer. By my last count we were about 200 squares short of what we baled and kept last year, but we haven't finished feeding up last year's hay yet either, so just hard to guestimate. Getting ready to cut and bale our alfalfa field again as it's bloomed. Figure the grass/clover field by our house we will cut and bale even though it's not going to yeild a lot. Something is better than nothing I guess.

Had the farriers out yesterday to trim everyone up. I just took the whole day off even though it takes less than 45 minutes to trim all 4 of our horses. Ended up ground driving Karma in the morning. She's picking up pretty quick with steering. Still have to keep working on stop and not move forward right away, but she was going left & right at both a walk & trot. She will stop and back up, but there at first wanted to step out right away after she stopped. Once we added backing up to it she did better with just standing there when asked to stop. Almost got brave enough to get on her last night, but by the time we got done cleaning the lot I just lacked motivation (and confidence). Will see if I suck it up sometime this weekend. I TRULY think she will be easy to get on and start, it's just been 6 years since the last time I did this. lol. She will be going to a trainer in the fall, I just would really like to have her already going under saddle so he can work on more details than just the basics.

Edited by eeyore4176, 27 July 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#1578 doublelhorses

doublelhorses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hot and windy today. Thought I might get a ride in last night but had a tree fall on the fence so we were fixing fence instead. Have farrier out in the morning. Only trims and don't think they need much so shouldn't take long. Hoping to do some ground work with Sugar and get her use to the idea of a tie down. Maybe ride afterwards. Just depends on the heat.

Eeyore sounds like Karma is coming right along in her training. Sure funny how our courage sems to evaporate as we get older in dealing with green horses. Told hubby and farrier my next horse will be a well broke gaited gelding about 8-10yrs old.

Connie, Hope the heat breaks for labor day. Would really like to have a nice long weekend to ride. Even if just close to home.

doublelhorses

Sugar - 15 yr old AQHA

2 dogs and 2 cats

#1579 CathyJ

CathyJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Told hubby and farrier my next horse will be a well broke gaited gelding about 8-10yrs old.

I have a 7 year old well broke gaited gelding for sale. Miles and miles of trail experience.
http://carbondale.craigslist.org/grd/3144236692.html

Edited by CathyJ, 27 July 2012 - 08:22 PM.

Shawnee Forest Wanderer

Life is too short not to have a horse in it.

If you're lucky enough to be a trailrider, you're lucky enough.

#1580 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

Double - I almost called you yesterday to let you know we were heading to Ramsey to ride, but our timeline got all out of whack. We were informed Saturday that our regular group was heading down there cause farrier had a mule to deliver, so figured we'd ride somewhere else for a change. Was told we were leaving at 8, but by the time we all met for breakfast and picked up ice and drinks we didn't get there until around 10:30.

Wasn't too bad riding temp wise. The horseflies at camp were terrible though. I had a pile collecting from killing them on Spirit & Indigo after we got done riding. Was thankful that we had water in our camper to give to the horses. The ponds were way too gross. Do you know why they haven't turned the water on out there? Seems weird to not have it on unless they are trying to discourage horse camping?

Saturday we spread horse poo for almost 3 hours. Talk about a dirty/dusty mess!! Our dry lot was completely clean when we were done and our storage piles are gone. One of our hay fields, we've had a very hard time getting the grass to grow (in non-drought conditions... lol). Figured the horse manure with seed worked in our front yard full of trees, so would give this a try since nothing else over there has worked very well and it cleaned us up.

#1581 ConniSB

ConniSB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Finally got to ride this weekend. Friday night a friend called (she has a permanent campsite at 34 Ranch) and invited me up to ride Saturday, I told her I had to get some work done Saturday (my day job, thank goodness I can work from home)so she said "why don't you just drive up early, ride one of my horses"...sounded pretty good to me so I did and had a good time. Sunday I got up early and rode Lady on the trails near home. It was nice a cool early morning, and it has been so hot we haven't been bothered with insects (except ticks!) I had a nice ride. It felt so good to be back in the saddle. Lady was not very spunky tho....she just kind of plodded along which isn't like her at all! Guess she's gotten a bit lazy the hot summer days.

eeyore, I do have some Spot On (I think thats what its called) that you put in differect areas of the horses skin. Guess I need to buy some more, can't remember the last time I put some on them.

CathyJ, good luck selling your horse. If I didn't have Lady (I MUCH prefer geldings) I'd be interested. Hubby would divorce me if I brought another horse to the farm tho. He thinks Lady is great, BUT he isn't the one riding/dealing with her!
Connie

#1582 doublelhorses

doublelhorses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

CathyJ - Thanks for the offer but with three still on their feet at home I'm not really looking at this time. Just know I don't want another mare, and while my QH is ok I'm getting soft and want my gaited back.

Eeyore - Hope you had a good ride. Farrier was out Sat and said Ramsey was dry, dry dry. Knew it would be as its been at least two months since we had enough rain to even settle the dust. Late last year they were having issues with the well at the horse camp. But they had brought in a large water tank last fall. Haven't been off the place with the ribs and then the heat. Almost seems like a waste having the trailer this year. Maybe we can do some fall riding.

Grandson leaves for college on the 9th. :thud: so we are going to try and do homemade ice cream this weekend. And naturally my house is torn to pieces since we are repainting inside :duh: Hoping to have the bathroom and kitchen put back together. Just have to live with the rest of it.

Connie - Thinks I am going to my little sisters some weekend and ride her foxtrotter. Sugar is so pokey we would never keep up.

doublelhorses

Sugar - 15 yr old AQHA

2 dogs and 2 cats

#1583 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

We FINALLY got a good rain. Thank you lord!!! I pulled in last night at 5:30 and went straight to the grass pasture to halter the horses and bring them in as I had been watching lightening on the drive home. All 4 were right at the gate and started to whinney as I headed their way, so I knew they were ready to come in. Got them tucked into their stalls just a couple minutes before it started to sprinkle, then poured. Rained for a couple hours. I've never been so thankful to have mud in the driveway. LOL. Just hope this was enough to give the hay field a little umpf before baling again.

Biting the bullet and buying 100 grass square bales for $5.50/bale tonight if it's good. We are good on alfalfa hay as that field keeps producing but our grass fields have suffered. The way prices have been going at the auctions and as pitiful as our grass fields look, decided we would rather fork out the money now to have some breathing room since I calculated we are about 200 short of what we ended up with last year. We still should get at least 1 more cut on a couple of our fields. Hate this feeling of limbo waiting on the weather!!

#1584 doublelhorses

doublelhorses

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Glad to hear you go some rain. We got around 2 inches over about 5 hrs. Hoping the pastures perk up some. I know what you mean about hay. Think we can get by but hubby would still like to pick up another 50 -10 bales of grass.

Have a good weekend. Predicting cooler weather so I'm hoping to get in a ride or two this weekend.

doublelhorses

Sugar - 15 yr old AQHA

2 dogs and 2 cats

#1585 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

Went camping at Ramsey thursday night. It poured there for a good 2 hours. The next day the horseflies were awful. My new mule finally let me smack and kill them. Its a nice place to train,my new mule needs alot of work. Shr likes to take the bit between her teeth and run. Then there is the rearing and lunging forward. Thankfully its relatively flat and wide trails. But she litterally loves the water. With no encouragement from me she walked right in the pond at camp and startd drinking,then kept walking further out. Then started to swim! Without me telling her to go deeper! She is going to be a great little mule. Ill pist pics in a miniute.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt

#1586 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

We also took my friends daughters. One was on the little paint pony,someone offered to buy her...three times she tried to get my friend to sell her! Haha
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt

#1587 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt

#1588 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

Sakura - Hopefully you'll have a good mule with more miles. I don't think I could deal with the issues you are working through with the bit/taking off, rearing, etc.

We are suppose to go camping at Ramsey in a couple weeks with a group of friends for their annual birthday celebration. Think one of the guys is going to be taking their water truck down so we will have water for all the animals. Last time we did the party at Ramsey our group took up the entire north side of the campground. Now that the temps seem to be a little more reasonable, hopefully we'll be doing more riding and camping.

#1589 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

Where are some easy trails? My friend and i are going to try and go riding/camping more often with her young daughters,so we need fairly easy trails to build their confidence. Ramsey was great for them.

My friend and i are wanting to try litchfield soon,without her daughters of course.

I think i can work through the problems. Im young so i still bounce,sort of. She is a really smart mule,just...well...stubborn. it should be interesting to see who is more stubborn,Sugar or me.

Im already paying $9 a bale of clover hay. Im selling skippy to help pay for some hay. I cant affprd to feed 4 horses in this drought. If it comes down to it tje next one os the arabian. Im hoping it doesnt.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt

#1590 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Depends on what your idea of easy is? Sand Creek, Ramsey, Wolf Creek and Stephen Forbes all have easy trails for the most part if you stay to the main flat trails instead of the rogue trails. Sand Creek doesn't have camping, but I like going there when we aren't in a drought for their water crossings and working with young horses. Forbes I like camping cause all the sites are electric. Litchfield I probably wouldn't recommend for beginner riders as a confidence builder, but we have rode with plenty of kids over there and they have all done fine. I LOVE riding there, but we also like riding hills. I really like riding at Danville (Middlefork) but also would not recommend riding there if you are looking for easy trails.

What kind of bit and chin strap are you using on your mule? We had a friend recommend a power curb strap after using it on his mule and getting him to finally respect the bit and not take off. I used one on my horse for a few weeks and was amazed at how much quicker he responded on a lighter touch. Something to look into?

We only got 50 bales instead of 100 with the ones we bought last week. But for $5.50/bale we are happy with whatever we could get. Both sides of our main barn are 3/4 full and I know if we ration feed round bales instead of free feeding them, what we have will get us through. We should be cutting two fields this weekend after the possible rain tomorrow. Guess we'll see where that leaves us.