• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HowdyHowdyLetsGetRowdy

HowdyHowdyLetsGetRowdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:31 AM

Howdy folks smileywavey.gif I have a question. What are the little black and white lookin' flyin' bugs called? Are they a miniature hornet or yellow jacket?
I ask because I walked into a gas station this afternoon and thought I felt somethin' fall down my neck. I didn't think nothin' of it. Being 6'5" I forgot to duck and almost hit my head in the first place. duh.gif Although as soon as I got down the aisle something bit/stung my side. Up high like toward the top of your ribs.
It sent a chill up my neck and made me feel funky. Then I got bit/stung whatever the heck again. shocked.gif It started to kinda sting by now. It did whatever to me six times before I could get outside to pull my shirt off. I saw some little flyin' black and white possibly yellow thing. It left welt marks. shocked.gif I was ticked off. So grabbed a zip-loc bag I just happened to have in my truck. flirt.gif I figured the thing was big enough to bite/sting me it was big enough to suffer in a zip-loc baggy. I hope it croaks slowly.
It's not like I was disturbin' the things nest or what not.
Now I just feel weird and have these lil marks on my chest and side. Plus I'm pretty dark right now and I see these lil circle marks like irritation or somethin'.
The poor cashier lady probably thinks I flipped my cork. I didn't feel it would be polite to rip my shirt off and start hoppin' and lookin' around like what the heck was that. She probably woulda called the local looney bin. That lil sucker was vicious I swear.
I am now off to search for whatever it was. Althogh in the mean time if anyone knows that'd be wonderful. happy0203.gif
Oh hey by the way they got some of my smileys back. happy0203.gif winking0073.gif yay.gif
It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you may regret. Be quick to listen, slow to speak, an slow to get angry

Aristotle was famous for knowin' everything. He taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood an is not involved in the process of thinkin'. This is true only of certain persons.

The school of hard knocks is an accelerated curriculum.

Life isn't like a box of chocolates....it's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your hiney tomorrow.

#2 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,280 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:52 AM

Sounds very much like a Bald-Face hornet. They seem to be more aggressive this year than usual. I've been stung several times. They haunt my barns this year.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#3 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:26 AM

Was it smaller than a wasp? Could have been a sweat bee - bad tempered little hummers. If your welts blister it could be blister beetle too.
Pictures of them:
http://www.answers.c...-faced-hornet-1
http://en.wikipedia..../Blister_beetle
http://www.everythin...bees/sweat_bee/

Edited by chele, 07 August 2008 - 07:32 AM.

#4 lusitano

lusitano

What has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap? Me!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:28 AM

I am not sure what it was but I hope you feel better soon!

huggy.gif

I know! I missed the smileys!

My Website! (still a work in progress)

#5 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,280 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:33 AM

http://www.muenster....d/baldfaced.htm

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#6 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:36 AM

Ouch! Don't know what it was, but I got stung on the tip of my index finger last week and it hurt like a son of a gun!

Hope the sting goes away soon!
Spotted T Riding Blog

I've met board buddies! - Quincy's Keeper, Cutter123, LongingToRun, Cowgurl*, Horseygrrl, RoyalBTBs, RixKatToy, Blonde on a Warmblood, Tuckit, BrokeBackCoolBreeze, Forever in Blue Genes, NitrousForce, Holy Jeezers, Demon's Mom, Cowgirlartist, Draftiemama, PineBarSissy, Hastflicka, Shelly Carter, Pinky, Tuper, Flequus, Poldi, Rockabillygal, SmokeyJoe, BB Blue, Tab, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Florida Cowgirl, Little Cow, Tuck, Hoofs In Motion, Ratts, Notyo, Apps4Life, Lash, Loranbama, Heart Felt Farms, LuckE, First String Farms, The Sugar Lady, Spring Storm, SCspots, Runnin'Colors & Heidi n Q!!! That's 47, how many you got?

Posted Image

#7 HowdyHowdyLetsGetRowdy

HowdyHowdyLetsGetRowdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

Howdy folks smileywavey.gif. Ozland you are correct. It was a baldface hornet. I check again last night and I actually have ten bites. I was lookin' and found that they can rarely cause infection.
I figure since I have ten bites and am still gettin' chills from it I had better cal my doc here in a while. My immune system isn't up to parr yet and I don't want to take any chances.
Can't believe that stupid lil thing. I left it in my truck. Hope it had a hot day in hel yesterday. happy0203.gif
Thank you for helpin' out. This is the first time I've been stung/bit this year. It certainly made up for lost time.
I have yellow jackets but that sure wasn't no yellow jacket that got me. duh.gif
happy0203.gif huggy.gif
It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you may regret. Be quick to listen, slow to speak, an slow to get angry

Aristotle was famous for knowin' everything. He taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood an is not involved in the process of thinkin'. This is true only of certain persons.

The school of hard knocks is an accelerated curriculum.

Life isn't like a box of chocolates....it's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your hiney tomorrow.

#8 katie may

katie may

all right.....who farted?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,091 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:31 AM

well what ever it was i hope ya get to feeling better soon.
"3...2...1...GO! Have a great ride!!"

Member: Met A Board Buddy Club: BuddyRooShmancyNShy, Phurgus, shann1turner, Spring*run*eventing, Lash, kowgrl, Barb, Skip, Nara, Slaycock, Muskrat, and nikki1

Who's coming to the HC slumber party at my house in 2010?

come see me at <a href="http://www.myspace.com/katiemay04" target="_blank">http://www.myspace.com/katiemay04</a>

rest easy my sweet Boo. you will be in my heart forever. 7/17/98-10/21/06
my Oskie- i will never give up hope.