• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CowgirlRanchHand03

CowgirlRanchHand03

• Members
  • Pip
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

I want everyone's opinion on a good quality saddle pad that will help compensate for an ill fitting saddle. The saddle I currently have leave's fists size dry spots on his withers behind his shoulder blade. I am using a regular blanket a little less than 1/2" thick, and a 1" thick wool pad on top of that.

I have been looking at the Classic Equine CountourPedic saddle pad..Impact Gel pads....Camarillo Sure fit Pro Pad ( which is way to much for me to spend right now) ...and many other pads, but don't know which one to invest in!?!?!?!

Any help, advice, and/or opinions would be greatly appreicated!
Thanks so much, and look forward to reading everyone's reply's, CRH03!

#2 gypsydiesel

gypsydiesel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:09 AM

JMO, but a saddle pad isn't going to fix your problem. You need to try to find a better fitting saddle.

#3 texashorselover

texashorselover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:11 AM

I am in love with my impact gel pad - it was my mother's day present and it is great. It is a plain black one because the new guy is a wild paint. Great pad.

I have 2 very different backed horses. My saddle fits the old one perfectly, but is only O.K. on the new guy - he gets the gel pad and it seems to make it work very well - I am glad because I won't be able to get the new saddle until Christmas.

I also have an SMX Air Ride that works very well on my ancient one - but I am not riding her anymore (retired and loving it) and her pad is just sitting because it really doesn't work on the others - it is one of those with extra padding behind the shoulders - which helps compensate for her high withers. It seemed to make her very comfortable - plus she is the kind that appreciates me spending money on her.

I think an Air Ride without the extra padding would work on the new guy, but I am sold on the Gel pad.

Good luck in finding what will work for you - it is an investment.

#4 Equine*Obsessed

Equine*Obsessed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

I agree. Impact Gels are really good pads. I love mine. They're a bit pricey, but, they're worth it. I bought it from sstack.com.
But I also agree that a saddle pad isn't going to solve the problem of your ill-fitting saddle.... It may help a little bit though...

#5 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

No matter how good the saddle pad is it's not going to correct the dry spots that an ill fitting saddle leaves. Instead of buying a new saddle pad you should look into investing in a better fitting saddle.

That being said I don't like the Impact Gels. The gel breaks down very fast and can cause pressure points. On my two barrel horses with one I use an CE ESP pad that I like okay. It is serving it's purpose until I can get saved up for a custom 5 Star. On my other horse I use a ortho equine pad which is what I highly suggest.
Norfleets Blue Magic-APHA
Red Hobby Seeker-AQHA
Freights Boogie Man-AQHA
Whatta Shy Cutter-AQHA
Balmy Stony Bar-AQHA
Frenchmans Jivin Jet-AQHA

I've met a board buddy: obie105, illinois racer, iacanchaser, LilCanChaser12

#6 CowgirlRanchHand03

CowgirlRanchHand03

• Members
  • Pip
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

Ok, Thanks everyone for you opinons!! I do know that a saddle pad can only help so much, but the reason I am taking this route instead is becuase my gelding is only 4 and has some filling out to do in the withers yet, so I don't want to buy a saddle that fits him now, and won't in a year! So I am hoping that the saddle pad can help out until he is down filling out. He is going to be a big boy, he is 16.2-3hh, with the bones of atypical bulldog build, he just has to grow into it.

I never really heard any good things about the Impact Gels until today, so I'll take it into considerartaion....I'm not quite sure about the SMX Air Ride, but I have been looking at the CE Contour Pedic for awhile..and I seem to like that one! Thanks again!! CRH03

#7 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

If that's the case I would look into the Ortho Equine pads. With the way they are desinged you can play around with where the padding goes. Hard to explain. I'd check out their website and email them. They were great help to me I'm just bad at explaining what I'm trying to.
Norfleets Blue Magic-APHA
Red Hobby Seeker-AQHA
Freights Boogie Man-AQHA
Whatta Shy Cutter-AQHA
Balmy Stony Bar-AQHA
Frenchmans Jivin Jet-AQHA

I've met a board buddy: obie105, illinois racer, iacanchaser, LilCanChaser12