• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KiwiGirl

KiwiGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

I know this isnt in the right spot, but I only check out this board and one other, and I figure I would get more replies from here!

If a mare is only a few months along, what would her belly look like?

If a mare is 6 or 7 months along, what would her belly look like? Is she big all around, or does she just buldge out sort of half way down her belly?

If she is pregnant do her teets change after 2 or 3 months? 6 or 7 months?

After a mare has had a foal, does her belly completely go back to looking like a normal horse? Do her teets kind of stay 'loose and droopy?'

How does a 'hay belly' look different then a pregnant belly?

#2 HunterPrincess

HunterPrincess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

If there is any suspicion that a horse is pregnant, you call the vet and have them palpate/ultrasound to do a pregnancy test.

That's the only way of defiinitely telling if a horse is pregnant...unless you see the foal coming out.
Amanda

DVC Class of 2008

It's not if you win or lose, it's how you play the game.

#3 Arrows

Arrows

Free to dream...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

Call the vet and have her palpated.
- Jennifer & Mustang Sally

GO BITLESS - your horse will thank you!
It's not a girl's school without men, it's a women's college without boys.
RSC '10

#4 KrazyTBMare

KrazyTBMare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,073 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

Ditto to getting a vet out. There are some mares who are 10 months pregnant and never look like they are, and others they arent pregnant but look like they are. The only way to know for sure is to have the vet out to check.

#5 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:07 PM

I'm confused...are you working on a paper or something? Or is this an honest to goodness question regarding a horse in your care?

If there's ANY chance she's been in with a stallion (or a danged yearling colt!), then she should be checked.

If you don't think there's any chance, I'd still check.

BUT...there are hormones in some plants that can cause mares to bag up a bit this time of year. And plenty of horses just get plain fat.

It's just that usually when someone is asking this question, there's more to the story.
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#6 QuarterHorseHunta

QuarterHorseHunta

Shmer.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (HunterPrincess @ Aug 17 2008, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's the only way of defiinitely telling if a horse is pregnant...unless you see the foal coming out.

rotf.gif rotf.gif That would be a pretty big hint!!!
-Becky

Hollywood Illusion "Illia/Illya" 2002 15hh Paint Mare Video :]
Indy June 1, 2009 Bay Overo Colt Video :D

#7 Mith

Mith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:20 PM

Palping and ultrasound are the most common ways. You can track her heat cycle and tease when she should be in heat-a responsive mare is never pregnate. There are blood and urine tests (like for people) but they aren't very common as the first two are so accurate.

Most horses won't look pregnat till after 340 days and the same goes for teets (which won't bag up and wax till the foal is almost due). The teats never fully go back to where they were, so you can tell if a mare has had a foal in the past.

I'll admit that I am also curious as to what prompts this question.
Ride to inspire your horse

#8 HunterPrincess

HunterPrincess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Mith @ Aug 17 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Palping and ultrasound are the most common ways. You can track her heat cycle and tease when she should be in heat-a responsive mare is never pregnate. There are blood and urine tests (like for people) but they aren't very common as the first two are so accurate.

Most horses won't look pregnat till after 340 days and the same goes for teets (which won't bag up and wax till the foal is almost due). The teats never fully go back to where they were, so you can tell if a mare has had a foal in the past.

I'll admit that I am also curious as to what prompts this question.

Actually Mith, there are some mares that will still tease while pregnant. You can't always trust teasing/not teasing. On the flip side, there are also mares who are 'quiet teasers' who you can tease all day and night long during estrus and they won't respond, andhave to be palapted to determine pregnancy.

Edited by HunterPrincess, 17 August 2008 - 05:25 PM.

Amanda

DVC Class of 2008

#9 Mith

Mith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:30 PM

Wait, they are more responsive to a stallion than normal even though they not in heat? I've met mares that were always friendly to males, but it was a constant pregnate friendliness not a sudden intrest 21ish days after breeding. Is that what you were saying can happen? I'd believe it as horses are anything but consistant, but I wanted to make sure that I read you correctly. I know that there are mares that won't tease, but knowing what your mare does when in heat is just something that you learn from knowing your horse. Mine was a more general statement.

And I aggree that teasing isn't a great way to tell, but if it is for a paper or something similar it is something to be mentioned.
Ride to inspire your horse

#10 KiwiGirl

KiwiGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:24 PM

My mom bought a horse 2 months ago. She was used as a broodmare, only had 1 baby, and wouldnt catch again, so the owners decided to sell her. I dont know how long ago her last breeding attempt was. She just has a very odd shape to her belly. Looking at the other mares in the barn hers has a different shape to it.

#11 mlong13

mlong13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

I'd say she's pregnant or stowing something away in that belly of hers..missing any feed bags? ;)

Best bet is to call the vet...he/she can tell you for sure if she's pregnant, and hopefully can give you a pretty accurate time line of when she's due.

#12 HunterPrincess

HunterPrincess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

Mith I'm just saying that I've met mares that you could swear are in heat, responding to the stallion, yet are pregnant.

It's not a majority by any means, but it does happen.
Amanda

DVC Class of 2008

#13 Jump-4-JOY

Jump-4-JOY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

Well
If your mom's new mare might be shaped like that. We have a mare in the barn who is just shaped all "hangy down" which could have come from having a foal when her back wasn't very strong. She also looked like she was going to pop 3 months and on...

My mare showed one day of heat a month the entire time she was in foal. I probaly could have teased her and she probaly would have been "interested" (winking and all of that). She also never got big and hangy down, My mom didn't belive she was in foal until about may and she had her filly in june...

The most sure way is to have her checked by a vet.. there are so many factors and all horses are different.