• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleCRanchGal

DoubleCRanchGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:59 AM

Ok, so the other day someone told me that there are vocal driving cues used to tell a horse to go left or right. Is that true? And if it is, what are the cues? questionicon.gif Thanks. =]
R.I.P. Southern Pine Taffy! You will always be in my heart! ~passed away March 4, 2007 at 34 years old. Red Roan, QH, gelding~

R.I.P. Jessie! Passed away December 12, 2009 at 20 years old. She was always everybodys "favorite horse" and was known as the "pig" for her constant snorting. You will be greatly missed Jess! 20 years old. Sorrel, QH/Tenn. Walker, Mare.

Lightning Star ~ 6 yr. old Palomino, QH, Gelding

Morning Star ~ 15 yr. old Palomino, Paint, Mare

Woody ~ 16 yr. old Bay, TB/Arab, Gelding

Copper ~ 12 yr. old Sorrel, Belgian, Gelding

Marianna's Misty Star a.ka. "Misty" ~ 1 yr. old soon to be Grey, QH, Mare

Dandy's Durriel a.k.a. "Billy" ~ 22 yr. old Chestnut, Arabian, Gelding

Mickey ~ 4 yr. old Grey, Jesus Donkey, Stallion/Jack

No Jumps, No Glory

Turn and Burn, baby!

www.mgharena.com

#2 WarPony

WarPony

Teeny Tiny Equine Of DOOOM!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:16 AM

I would assume they mean Gee and Haw. Gee means to turn right, Haw means to turn left... but I always mix them up. With my own horses I use "Come left" and "come right" so I don't mix it up. I have a lot of verbal cues I use. To get them to start walking I say "Walk ON!" to slow them to a walk from a trot I say "waaaaaaaalk", to get them to trot I say "TTTT-ROT", to get them to trot faster I say "Trot ON!" if they are getting wound up and I want them to settle down or if I want them to stay in the same gait but slow down a little I say "EEEeeasy", to back up I say "Come back".
Warpony's blog! ... Warpony's Etsy Shop

“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.” ~ Dr. Gregory House

#3 ironbessflint

ironbessflint

Haflinger Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:46 AM

More common in teams. For example, if you were driving six horses, and trying to navigate a sharp turn, the leaders would have to turn the swing team which would have to turn before the wheelers. In this case, I've heard of each team being trained to a different set of commands, be it gee/haw, come/get, right/left (although I think that's a fairly recent usage).

I've taught "come" as a general sharp turn command. So if I'm about to do a super sharp left turn, I'll start a left turn (left rein), and then say "come" and the horse knows to swing around sharply rather than a gradual turn.
Sodar Farms Haflingers

Jenn: "It's a partnership. Now hold up your half of the deal."

#4 redneckcowgirl

redneckcowgirl

Fecal Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

Aw Crud, now I have to learn a whole 'NOTHER language??? 1st was just riding, THEN they told me you use different words for riding English vs. Western, THEN there's different words for running barrels... now there's Driving Cues????
Great.
surrender.gif crazy.gif

#5 luther

luther

original opinionated minion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

smileywavey.gif I've always heard that music was a good way to help memorize stuff. Maybe this will help - "Pony Time" .Do you remember it ? yay.gif I hope the link works.

#6 WarPony

WarPony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (luther @ Sep 1 2008, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smileywavey.gif I've always heard that music was a good way to help memorize stuff. Maybe this will help - "Pony Time" .Do you remember it ? yay.gif I hope the link works.

hehehehe....

“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.” ~ Dr. Gregory House

#7 DoubleCRanchGal

DoubleCRanchGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:03 PM

Yea, that's it! "gee" and "haw". Yup, that's what m friend had said.

Ok, so this is all coming along. Cool. =] Thanks y'all!

RedneckCowgirl, I feel your pain! =] I'm also involved in teaching therapuetic riding and some vaultings, but all the different terms is what tends to kill me! LOL!

Oh, and Luther. I shall be checking out that little tune very soon. Songs help me a lot! Ha, that's cute.
R.I.P. Southern Pine Taffy! You will always be in my heart! ~passed away March 4, 2007 at 34 years old. Red Roan, QH, gelding~

R.I.P. Jessie! Passed away December 12, 2009 at 20 years old. She was always everybodys "favorite horse" and was known as the "pig" for her constant snorting. You will be greatly missed Jess! 20 years old. Sorrel, QH/Tenn. Walker, Mare.

No Jumps, No Glory

Turn and Burn, baby!

www.mgharena.com

#8 luther

luther

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

smileywavey.gif Well, if ya like the song, here are the lyrics,,,, http://www.oldielyri.../pony_time.html . Have fun rotf.gif

#9 Zakima

Zakima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the song Luther, too funny.

Patriot is trained come & get for direction cues / pick it up = speed up / Big walk = extended walk
Easy = slow down / Stand = plant all 4 feet / Whoa = halt

He is also quit tuned into the tone of my voice and waits for his "good boys"

Zakima was trained to left and right for directional cues / walk on for big walk and a few other variations. Don't know who trained him like that but it was all sure easy to remember LOL.

Liz

I Met A Board Buddy: Zmecky, Horsinaround, Crazy Trail Adventurer, xcanchaserchicx, Big Heart, Siseley & Mrs. Siseley & JPParadiseRanch

Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Lijahlou

#10 luther

luther

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

yay.gif I glad ya like it, now here's a video of a lady giving verbal cues while training from the ground. Look to the left and you will find other vids that might also help - although I haven't watched those.

http://video.aol.com...iving/207850484 grin.gif

According to this lady Chubby Checker has his geeing & hawing reversed and I would put more faith in her than him on this subject. questionicon.gif confused0024.gif surrender.gif thud.gif

#11 WarPony

WarPony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (luther @ Sep 3 2008, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to this lady Chubby Checker has his geeing & hawing reversed and I would put more faith in her than him on this subject. questionicon.gif confused0024.gif surrender.gif thud.gif

yes, my ex (and now late) grandfather in law said he wanted to punch that man in the mouth for screwing up a generation of kids by mixin' them up. lol. He said farm kids these days would do nothing but confuse his horses. (I think he might have been a little confused about what year it was by the time he went off on that rant)

Maybe THAT is why I always get them mixed up.... and why i don't use them. *blush*

#12 Zakima

Zakima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:08 PM

I also do not use gee & haw. JMO but come & get just flow easier.
Liz

I Met A Board Buddy: Zmecky, Horsinaround, Crazy Trail Adventurer, xcanchaserchicx, Big Heart, Siseley & Mrs. Siseley & JPParadiseRanch

#13 DoubleCRanchGal

DoubleCRanchGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Alright, sorry it took me forever to get back on here.

But what do y'all think of me just throwing different cues at him to see if he responds to any?
Do you think that might confuse my horse a little bit?

No Jumps, No Glory

Turn and Burn, baby!

www.mgharena.com

#14 Sundowner Lady

Sundowner Lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

I'm no driving expert... but your horse isn't going to automatically "know" these words mean left, right, fast, slow or otherwise unless he was previously trained for it. So, unless you think someone taught him this stuff (and most horses are likely to only know "Whoa" "Stand" and "Easy", some you will find know "walk" "trot" and "lope") throwing out random terms and commands isn't going to do much and expected results happening are more of a coincidence.

To teach him voice commands, you have to start with the cues he knows, pick the word you want to mean that action, and the tone and inflection of the word, and say it every time you give the cue he already knows..

For example, every time you pull on the direct rein right, use the word you want to mean "right". Also, you can use the words "walk" "trot" "whoa" etc. while leading, longing or round penning, ground driving etc.

I MET BOARD BUDDIES !!!
(In order of appearance)
HappyAppy1 (with tagalongs, 1 son and RoK's little Lane) Redneckcowgirlmn & CJF Farrier, Serendell, DunOvero, Pstrailrider, Spanish_Walkin_Wannabe, Equilibrium, Wild Rose, RoK , Shamr0ck Stalk3r, Pepsidog

My HC Space:
Sundowner

Check out my : Farm

And my clubs:
ABFSHR

Cannon Valley Saddle Club

#15 gaitedgirl

gaitedgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

Biggest and most important vocal cue your horse should know and perform is "Whoa". IT SHOULD MEAN STOP, NOT SLOW DOWN. "Stand" is another nice command that comes in handy when hitching by yourself with out any help.

I am by no means a expert driver, just started learing myself recently. I use the following commands with my Bo :

Whoa = Stop
Walk = walk from full stop or come down from faster speed
Eeesy Walk = slow down/calm down
Get up = go faster. Used with the tsk tsk kissing sound.

I did not teach my horse "trot" or "canter" because he only paces and while capable of doing those gaits Bo never does them even free choice in the pasture.

I do not carry a whip because some horriable person beat my Bo real bad with one in the past and he is deathly afraid of a whip. He is so well trained now though that when i tell him to "get up" he moves out instantly with enough get up and go that my head snaps back if im not careful LOL.

I would try to use as many verbal cues that the hrose is all ready familiar with as you can. Then teach the couple new ones you will need. If your going to use gee and haa then when your riding your horse use the correct term every time you pull on a rein to make that direction turn. Do it so often that when your riding and you come to a intersection for example and give the command gee your horse will go that way with out using the reins, he will be anticipating you and then you can just reinforce with the reins. I like rein control myself so i didnt teach the verbal gee and haa to Bo.
5 acre victorian hobby farm
1 tennessee walker
1 draft/tennessee walker cross
2 peacocks
2 dogs
1 cat
5 large fish tanks
100 tropical fish (cichlids)

#16 Zakima

Zakima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

DoubleC - You will find that there are a lot of different cues and variations on those to boot. The popluar ones have been listed here. There are some really unusual ones out there too. If the horse was previously trained to drive, you might try the standards and see if you get a consistant response. If not use your lines and reinfoce with the voice the ones you choose. They catch on far more quickly than we do LOL.

I've taught my riding horse the same verbal cues as my driving horse. It makes life so much easier when ponying.

Liz