• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Indy

Indy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

Last Thursday I noticed a small hard lump on the jaw of my 2 1/2 yr old gelding. I thought maybe he bumped himself and thought nothing more. Then about 2 days ago I noticed it's gotten larger. About half a golf ball. Still hard, and sore. Called the vet yesterday, they said they should see him in the clinic as soon as possible. Their earliest appointment that I could make was 4:30 today. Get off work early to make it there, and they call...vets are all busy, can you come tomorrow at 4:30. I can't get off again tomorrow, so they say come at 5:30 and hopefully someone will be back.

I know I wont get the original vet (the one that has the most horse experience) but the vet I'll likely get has her share of horse knowledge. And now that I'm concerned and fustrated, I'd like your guys opinions.

He's eating and drinking fine, acting like his normal self.

Could it be related to teeth? My boyfriend keeps trying to convince me that it is a bone infection...like what he sees in cattle with similar lumps.

off to the barn now to get ready to go to the clinic....
Chelsea
*May God Bless you
*Rest in Peace my Kahlua - July 5, 1994 -- Aug. 11, 2005

#2 HalterQT

HalterQT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

My gelding had a lump symilar when he was younger. Vet said it looked an abscessed tooth, the next day, it busted and guess what, it was strangles. gah, STOOPID vet.

Good luck with it.

im curious to know what it is.
"My dreams are tied to a horse that will never tire."

Competative By Nature
Halter By Choice.

'05 APHA Gelding - Brokers Encore- A.K.A Taz

#3 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

They are often times perfectly normal. At this age, he is starting to grow in his permanent molars. As they grow, they can develope a big hard bony bump directly below the growing molar. The molar will be all the way in at three and he will lose the 'cap' on the tooth and the bump will gradually go away.

Most horses get them from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years. If his is bigger and more sore than most, your vet can determine if the tooth s coming in normally.

Edited by Cheri Wolfe, 11 September 2008 - 05:02 PM.

#4 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

I have had this happen twice, happening right now actually. Both times it has been a foreign object, what I have no clue, never found it. The first horse this happened to was years ago, I had the vet out twice and lanced and cultured it (not strangles). Even after the two lancings and flushings followed by antibiotics, it would abscess again a while later, each time it was smaller and smaller, the last time it was the size of a pencil eraser. It took 5 or 6 times before the body finally pushed out what ever was in there.

When it happened this time, to a different horse, I did not get the vet out. It ruptured on its own with hot packing, drained for 24 hours or so. Gave him antibiotics, all is good for now! I dont doubt that it will flare up again and again until what ever is in there is pushed out.

Both times it started out with a small itchy lump that pretty much blew up in a couple days to a huge, rock hard painful lump. I would freak and call the vet, vet would come out, say hot pack it, call me again when there is a soft spot.

Unless hes got a fever, is lethargic, loss of appetite, and snotty nose, chances are its not strangles. For srue there are some cases when the horses dont get the other symptoms, but its not super common. Hot packing thigns like this is always a good thing. Helps bring things to a head. If it is strangles it is just going to need to run its course, if its not, you will likely need to wait for a soft spot before the vet can do anything.

Show me your horses and I will tell you what kind of person you are.

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall gently on your fields.

Run Chicken Little RUN!

Knowledge is power
I met boardbuddies! Bryna, lpalomino, scapoose, wrangler, mydakota, Andi, Reiner0227,silverdreamer, Rodentra, desperate horsewife, Remy, xpasocorto, PacaPaca, Equuzen, Lightning strikes twice, and VAQHMA!
Mandy Eagle '03 Paint mare
Elfin Magic '86 Saddlebred mare
Settn the Hotrod Bar '07 QH gelding
Raisn the Hotrod Bar '08 QH gelding
Meko '88ish pony mare

RIP Sweet Vaga
Poco Vaga Bar
4/2/86-3/27/09
RIP Phoenix
CT Booger
2/2/02-8/28/09

http://fishycitysupplies.webs.com/

#5 Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

As Cheri said, at his age and a hard lump right on the bone, that is a permanent tooth getting ready to emerge.

If it is softer and to the side of the bone, then it could be something else.

#6 Indy

Indy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Thanks to all of you!

I just got home from the clinic. The vet that was there wasn't comfortable to go on with the x-rays and diagnosis, but she said it has something to do with the tooth.

A) The cap is not moving and the tooth is growing down instead of up.

B) There is an abcess in the root of the tooth

C) I forget lol, but it had to do with the tooth again, or something similar.

The other vet is going to call me tonight yet when she gets back from doing a c-section on a cow, and I'll head back down there for x-rays if needed.

Thanks again!!!!

Chelsea
*May God Bless you

#7 Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Indy @ Sep 11 2008, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks to all of you!

I just got home from the clinic. The vet that was there wasn't comfortable to go on with the x-rays and diagnosis, but she said it has something to do with the tooth.

A) The cap is not moving and the tooth is growing down instead of up.

B) There is an abcess in the root of the tooth

C) I forget lol, but it had to do with the tooth again, or something similar.

The other vet is going to call me tonight yet when she gets back from doing a c-section on a cow, and I'll head back down there for x-rays if needed.

Thanks again!!!!

A fellow here had a 3 year old colt with such a molar, but it was an upper one.
That tooth kept abcessing and eventually draining a little on his face for over a year, until he changed vets and the new vet operated, took that tooth out, kept a wash on the hole and it finally closed, one year ago.
I saw him the other day and he told me he is so glad that is over, that it has not opened and drained every few months now any more.

So, do get the colt x-rayed, if that is what your vet tells you to do and operated and so save you and the colt, if it is an abcessed tooth, many months of misery.

I wanted to ad that I have seen many, many tooth bumps in the lower jaws of young horses and never one of them abcessed, they went away on their own, once that tooth emerged.
Too bad if yours is causing problems.

Edited by Merry, 11 September 2008 - 06:42 PM.

#8 Indy

Indy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

Thanks again Merry,

This colt has been a money pit since he was born.

I bought a mare not knowing she was pregnant. Surprise baby, of course the mare wouldn't accept him, so the vet came out, sedated her, and got that all sorted out.

Got him gelded at 6 months

A few vet calls and visits for swollen legs throughout the winter

At a year he developed 2 ingunial hernia's. 2 vet visits later...

We have surgery.

Then two re-checks because it took 6 months to heal.

Then his spring (at 2 yrs old) developed another hernia...another vet check...with the opinion of not doing surgery as per the vet.

Now this.....

The saga never ends.

I'll let you all know what the vet says, although I have a feeling it will be tomorrow before we get to go to the clinic.
Chelsea
*May God Bless you

#9 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Play it out for a while. It is not life threatening. If it continues to get bigger and more sore, it probably means the tooth is not comint out right and the cap or even the tooth may have to come out. If he does not have a fever, it is not infected and may resolve itself. If he starts running a fever, a Vet will have to intervene.

#10 Indy

Indy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

Well, I did make it back to the clinic this evening.

A sedated horse, 4 x-rays, unknown amounts of money, some antibotics and no clue what's wrong.

So I ended up getting two vets when I went back. Both the best we have with horses (which isn't that great). No teeth issues, no fever, no idea what is the problem. Their new x-ray developer machine isn't working correctly so there is still one undeveloped film waiting for tomorrow.

I guess we'll go with the antibiotics and see what happens.

Chelsea
*May God Bless you

#11 desperate horsewife

desperate horsewife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:54 AM

Every single 2 year old here has that. Just their baby teeth. I was worried with the first one as well, but now I realize it's not a big deal. I doubt your boy is suffering from anything abnormal, so breath easy. huggy.gif Kind of freaky to see those golf ball sized lumps though, isn't it?

#12 Indy

Indy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

Thanks all!

The vets finally came to your conclusions that he's just "teething". The x-ray today did show a bit. The first molar is growing the opposite direction to the others. Kind of like this /\\\\ so they think that the pressure from those first two is causing the lump....which will eventually go away.

Thanks again! smileywavey.gif
Chelsea
*May God Bless you

#13 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

Ah you are lucky! Glad its not an abscess!
Show me your horses and I will tell you what kind of person you are.

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall gently on your fields.

Run Chicken Little RUN!

Knowledge is power
I met boardbuddies! Bryna, lpalomino, scapoose, wrangler, mydakota, Andi, Reiner0227,silverdreamer, Rodentra, desperate horsewife, Remy, xpasocorto, PacaPaca, Equuzen, Lightning strikes twice, and VAQHMA!
Mandy Eagle '03 Paint mare
Elfin Magic '86 Saddlebred mare
Settn the Hotrod Bar '07 QH gelding
Raisn the Hotrod Bar '08 QH gelding
Meko '88ish pony mare

RIP Sweet Vaga
Poco Vaga Bar
4/2/86-3/27/09
RIP Phoenix
CT Booger
2/2/02-8/28/09

http://fishycitysupplies.webs.com/

#14 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

Just for the curiosity's sake, what did it cost to not 'play it out' for a while?

#15 Indy

Indy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:57 AM

Cheri,

I have no idea yet. I'll get the bill the middle of october.

I'm estimating around $300.

Vets of course like to charge for every little thing, I used to work there.

-clinic visit which is $32 I think.
-sedation
-x-rays
-developing the x-rays
-looking at the x-rays
-telling you what they see in the x-rays...

The list goes on. Although I did return the antibiotics so that's a bonus lol

My dad was joking the other day that I should just have automatic withdrawal off my paycheck that goes to the vet clinic every two weeks. It seems if it's not one horse, it's the other...
Chelsea
*May God Bless you