8 replies to this topic

#1 Dash For Desire

Dash For Desire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:13 PM

Well, I bought Prince on Sept. 1st and he is such a sweet horse. He's got a lot of heart but it's been like, one thing after the other.

First I had to have the chiro come out to readjust him, he was out in his poll, neck, shoulder, back and ribs. Now he is feeling a looot better. But last night I was hand walking him in the arena and started doing some small/tight circles and I noticed that he was limping on his front left..but only when he did it when he was turning and had to cross over with his right leg. It didn't look like it was up in his shoulders, it looked like it was down in his lower leg/hoof area that he was favoring. Thinking maybe an abcess? Then I took him to some harder ground to get a better look and he didn't limp at all. Then I took him into his stall which has some deeper dirt in there and when I turned him, he started limping again. My friend told me that maybe it is the way that he turns but I have never seen a horse turn like that unless there was something wrong.

I actually started looking at his feet too and it looks like to me that his front left is not set as far back underneath him as all the other's and somewhat looks like his weight would be crushing his heel. I am trying to get a hold of my shoer to come out early so he can evaluate his feet. I mean the lady had clips put on his back feet because she claimed that if he didn't have clips, his shoes would 'slide back'. Imo if the shoes were put on right, they wouldn't need the clips at all especially for that reason.

And when I called to ask her about it, all she could tell me is how much of a great horse he is and what a great team we will be. Anyhow, as for the limping. Oh yeah, and I don't know if this sounds weird but when I walk him down the breezeway of the barn..I listen to how his hooves hit the floor..and when his front left hits the ground, it sounds like it's landing a lot heavier than the rest. Does that makes sense? I can't take him to the vet right off the bat either, with the chiro and shoer coming out, it might be a week or two. Any idea's on this? Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by Dash For Desire, 15 September 2008 - 01:19 PM.

Posted Image

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

I'm not really sure what you're after here...I'm sorry.

Could it be an abscess? Maybe.

Could it also be say...a suspensory issue? Yes.

Could it be a bad trim job that is creating a problem? Yes.

Could it be navicular? Yes.

The fact that it's worse in deeper footing makes me concerned that it's a soft tissue problem--like a suspensory issue. If that's the case, he really needs veterinary attention.

Me? I'd find a way to get it assessed. ASAP. By your vet. In the meantime, you could soak it for a possible abscess, you can cold hose. You can give bute and keep stalled, no riding....just in case it IS a ligament problem.

But without some additional information, not really sure what to tell ya. Hope you are able to get him help soon.

Best wishes.
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#3 barrelracer111

barrelracer111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

You could also have a radial nerve issue.

Or it could be a knee issue.

As Buddyroo already pointed out, it could be a lot of things.

#4 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

The only way to know for sure is to have the vet do a thorough diagnostic and see what turns up.

Sounds suspiciously like the old owner is trying to NOT discuss health issues, which is a huge red flag. So i'm assuming you didn't get a pre-purchase vet check, which means they sold him knowing he had issues.

Goodluck

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

Founding member of GOATS: Guardian Of All Things Stray!

Jasper's #1 Fan!

Visit My Website, Harvest Kennels, Field Bred Springer Spaniels

#5 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

It could be a million things...did you have a pre-purchase and x-rays done before you bought him?
If you say nothing to a horse, you mean nothing to a horse.-Robert Dover
Proud owner of:
"This Charming Man"-Winston: 20 year old, bay, Appendix QH, Semi-retired, but still working and being rotten:-) The boss man!
"Bend it Like Beckham"-Beckham: 7 year old, black, Perch/TB. Showing Second Level and schooling Third.
"Grand Temptress Shelby-Shelby: 15 year old, bay, Oldenburg. Second and Third Level.

"You will never get to Grand Prix waving a carrot stick at a Warmblood."

#6 Dash For Desire

Dash For Desire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

Thanks guys. I will try and get a hold of my vet and maybe put off the chiro. Appointment till later.

Bumper, I didn't do a pre-purchase. This horse was out in Pahrump in my vet is in Vegas, and I don't have a trailer. :/ I am beginning to think that she buted him or something when I went to ride him, because he wasn't sore or stiff when I rode him. I even did some tight turns and he was fine.

BuddyRoo, I thought of it possibly being a ligament/tendon issue. Although that would really suck if it is that. Thanks again all, I'll keep you updated.

Posted Image

#7 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:07 PM

Sounds like one of those things that have been going on for a long time that we have not been aware of. Laminitis. Get the sugar out of the diet immediately...no molasses, and grass will have to be replaced by grass hay. If the white line is stretched and he's overweight at all, you'll have to get him off the grass entirely....a muzzle if he's not. There's plenty of sugar in that grass!
You know the concern about lush spring grass? Well its happening again right now. The warm season species are dying back with the cold nights and the cold season species are not having their spring. It's so discouraging! Go to www.safergrass.com and know where the sugar is.

I strongly suggest that you go to the Hoof Forum and see a thread pinned at the top called the White Line, so you can understand better what's happening.

There's is a lot of torque at the toe. He lands heel first and then rolls forward on both sides of his hoof and off the toe between 10-2 o'clock. If there is no bevel on that toe, the toe remains a like brick wall trying to break over it and get his foot off the ground for the next step. This delays the momentum of that foot, (not to mention that it jams up the leg and why you needed chiro work..and as long as the toe is there, you haven't fixed the source of the problem of the needed chiro work) This toe pulls the toe forward stretching the white line with every step, until the hoof is flared forward out from under the descending weight of the horse, putting the toe in the way of a heel first landing...pulling the heels forward also and imparing the heel first landing as well.

What you are describing is level 2 of the 4 different levels of laminitis. Only one foot affected so far and symptoms showing. Chilling out the diet of sugar immediately will stop the process. A horse on lush pasture can founder within a week...I do not speak lightly. When you see a horse walking on eggs and taking extra steps with turning, instead of swiveling on the hoof, you are see a horse who is feeling the pain that is comparable to a toothache and is trying NOT to put torque on the white line...your hold of hoof to bone.

Without seeing any pics, I'm imagining a prominent toe with torque on it, plus the disentegration of the white line from the sugar.

So, you are aware that the toe is prominent and needs the breakover back, but flare forward doesn't happen overnight and won't be fixed overnight either and only the bevel will reverse that pulling forward on the toe and push it back with every step till it gets back to where it belongs. Chilling out the diet, getting the bevel will stop the pulling torque on the toe and start bringing the breakover back to where its supposed to be.

Hope this helps... flirt.gif

#8 Dash For Desire

Dash For Desire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

MissyClare, I would really like to know how you came out with that kind of diagnosis? I really don't think laminitis is the problem here. But I guess we will see when I take him to the vet. Thanks all.

Posted Image

#9 La. can chaser

La. can chaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

My horse has Navicular and that is exactly how he started out. He limped only when ask to turn to the left on a hard surface or fairly hard. He was diagnosed at a vet. He never limped any worse and x-rays showed it only in his right foot. That has been 1 1/2 years ago and he is still going strong. He still limps when ask to turn to the left sometimes. NOt always.
Karen

I whisper but, My horse does not listen.

Proudly owned by: A Royal Secret
or just Sam for short.

As long as there are test, there will be prayer in schools.

In memory: Dusty, Frosty, Strawberry,Blackjack,Coty, & Rocky Love ya all.