Quantcast

Photo

Yellow Discharge From Eye, Final Update Post 15!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Naturally Nessie

Naturally Nessie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

When I went out to ride my horse today I noticed a yellow discharge coming out of his left eye. Now for the past 2 weeks hes had a runny eye but it was clear, now its yellow. I cleaned it out, and noticed he kept trying to scratch his eye on anything he could find. He didn't seem to be in PAIN, and he seems to see fine and is keeping his eye open, but he definately has itchiness and irritation. I went to the tack shop and bought some clear eyes cleanser and a fly mask. Cleaned it with the clear eyes and put the fly mask on to prevent him from hurting his eye trying to scratch it.

Also called my new trainer (Im moving my horse to her barn in 3 weeks, but right now hes somewhere else) and told her my situation and she gave me the number to her vet in case it doesn't get better (I just moved my horse out here a month ago so I havent had to use a vet yet).

Is there anything else I need to be doing? Should I go ahead and call the vet just in case and tell him the situation?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Naturally Nessie, 23 September 2008 - 03:28 PM.

#2 fieldstonefarm1

fieldstonefarm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

I would call the vet, it's best not to mess with eyes. Let the vet take a look and determine what has to get done. Better safe than sorry!

#3 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Always call the vet! He may tell you to continue what you are doing, or suggest he see him, either way it's always best to let the vet make the call - especially with eyes!

#4 Naturally Nessie

Naturally Nessie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

K. Called the vet office but it goes straight to an automated voicemail. They have an emergency option where you can get someone directly but I didn't use that option (not an emergency, right?) and I left a message. Hope they get back to me today, this is the first time using this particular business but they were recommended to me. Will call again tomorrow morning if not.

Edited by Naturally Nessie, 22 September 2008 - 02:07 PM.

#5 Naturally Nessie

Naturally Nessie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

Also wanted to add if anyone has had this happen or has any experience with this, I'd love to hear your opinions on what it could be until I can get ahold on the vet

#6 mlong13

mlong13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

I live in GA and sometimes when certain trees/grasses bloom the horses get itchy eyes. I think at the moment there are some grasses sending pollen up every which way...lol

We get saline solution for their eyes (from the vet) and sometimes give an antihistamine if the itchyness gets to be too much. Some of the horses have fly masks to keep them from taking their eyeballs out :)

Be careful though - my horse got the itchy-eye this week and managed to give himself a little scratch above his eye! Definitely time for some eyedrops...

#7 mydakota

mydakota

Ex-Con

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

Honestly, I would call the vet out. Since you say this is an escalating condition (started out just watery, now sounds puss-y) that has progressed over a little time, I think you need a vet. You want to be careful about what you put in an eye if you are not sure if the surface of the eyeball has been breached or not. Some situations call for steroids and some will only make for a train wreck if steroids are used.

When I first see a slightly irritated eye, and I think it is probably just a forein body in the eye, I will wash it out and watch it for a short while. (maybe an hour if the animal doesn't seem bothered by it) If that doesn't resolve the situation in a very short time though, I call a vet. You will need to have it test-stripped for any ulceration and then get medicine specific to your horses condition. Eyes are touchy. You should err to the side of caution on this one.

ETA--over the years, I have had horses that had several different eye problems. I have dealt with conjunctivitis, forein bodies in the eye, corneal ulcerations, and ERU. The treatment really varies. You need to know what, specifically, you are treating.

Good luck to you and your horse.

Edited by mydakota, 22 September 2008 - 03:08 PM.

I got 2 wonderful horses at Emerald Valley Equine Assistance Horse Rescue.
Dakota-6 year old bay Quarab gelding
Macai-17 year old black Arab mare

May your horse never stumble, your cinch never break
Your belly never grumble, your heart never ache.

Until you learn to always take care of your horse before you take care of yourself, your horse can never be expected to take care of you. (Grandpa Thompson)

R.I.P. Kelso, Half Arab gelding B ? 1961, D 12-17-94 my companion for 23 years.
R.I.P. Nerak, Arabian gelding B March 1973, D 2-14-00 my companion for 25 years.
I will listen for your hoofbeats in heaven.

I met a few board buddies! MondaesMom, Andi, Audrey Mae, Silverdreamer3, Red Ripley, Beaucephus, Desperate Horsewife, Rodentra, Mrs. , xpasocorto, Scapoose, Paca Paca, Adoro Reina, Remy, LightningStrikesTwice and Quarterflash!

#8 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

Keeping it clean and keeping the flymask on as you've done are very good ideas. Eye goop really attracts flys which only compounds the problems! The problem could also have been caused by flys. Hopefully the vet will call back soon. In my experience light sensitivity is a good indication of an emergency and the horse must be treated right away, so watch for that. Keeping your horse in a barn/darkness will help until the vet can get there if he does develope sensitivity to light.

Edited by chele, 22 September 2008 - 03:18 PM.

#9 TracyA

TracyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,701 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

Actually, this *could* be an emergency. It might just be allergies, but even then if your horses scratches the eye trying to relieve the itchiness you will have a serious headache. Itchy, watery eyes could also be signs of a uveitis flareup. That's how Fessor first presented. It looked like allergies intially, and it wasn't until there was some damage to the eye that there was enough to allow the vets to diagnose ERU. At the very least, you need something to relieve the itchiness and prevent inflammation in the eye.

Hopefully, it's only allergies or a blocked tear duct and nothing more serious. Good luck!

Tracy
I'm still a horse crazy teenager at heart!

#10 soquile1

soquile1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

My horse had this once and it was a blocked tear duct. The vet has to come out and if you look inside your horses nose you will see a very small hole. The put a small tube in the hole and flush the buildup out. Pretty cool to watch, he will start tearing when they put the saline up there. If this is the case he will feel much better after and you will not have anymore discharge or itching. When in doubt call the vet out! Hoped this helped.

#11 Naturally Nessie

Naturally Nessie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

Never got a call back from the vet, will call again tomorrow. I called the barn owner and left a message asking her if she could check on his eye tonight because I have an important test to study for and cant make it back out until tomorrow. Haven't heard back from anyone, argh

#12 Naturally Nessie

Naturally Nessie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

Just got in contact with the vet, he is coming to look at my horse at 1 PM tomorrow. He agrees with eye issues better safe than sorry, so I will know more tomorrow. Thanks everyone, will update when i know more

#13 flequus

flequus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Naturally Nessie @ Sep 22 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got in contact with the vet, he is coming to look at my horse at 1 PM tomorrow. He agrees with eye issues better safe than sorry, so I will know more tomorrow. Thanks everyone, will update when i know more

Thank goodness! I am just now reading this, but coming from someone whose horse now has one eye - I say get the vet immediately for a stain. A melting corneal ulcer can happen in a heartbeat not to mention getting into horrible things like a stromal abscess. Never mess around with an eye problem.

#14 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

Good deal! Hopefully it will turn out to be something very easy to treat. Keep us posted!

#15 Naturally Nessie

Naturally Nessie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Just got home from the barn. The vet came out and diagnosed it as conjuctivitis. Put a syringe with a little hose connected to it through his nose and squirted water into the hole so it came out of his eyes and cleared up his tear ducts. Didn't find any scratches or damage to the eye, and no fly larvae was embedded in his tear duct (because evidently that happens, gross!)

So anyways he gave me some medicene to put in his eye once a day and said he should be fine, the yellow discharge should go away within a day or two. Vet said only to give him hay for dinner tonight bc of the tranquilizer he was on. Other than that I just keep an eye on him and call vet back in 2 days to let him know how Jake is doing.

I really like learning about all of this, hope you guys got some insight too. Thanks for your help everyone!

#16 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

If they are going to have gunk in their eye - this is the diagnosis you want to hear! Very good news. I'd keep the fly mask on (you probably didn't need me to say that) and expect him to heal up in now time!

#17 flequus

flequus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:21 AM

Awesome news! Glad to hear that it was something on the minor end of the scale. Now you can breathe a sigh of relief.