• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smb747gmb

smb747gmb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

I have a 2003 Sooner trailer that has a leaky roof, in the dressing room of course. I inspected the roof and can't see any visable cracks. A friend of a friend told me that unfortunately Sooners are known for leaky roofs along the seams and need almost annual maintenance. I was going camping in two weeks and planned on sleeping in the dressing room, so I wanted to fix this in case we ran into some wet weather. Anyone have suggestions as to the best product and procedure for sealing a roof? Is it a complicated process or one that I could handle on my own? I would prefer a more permanent solution even if it costs more than having to reapply a product every year. Thanks for any advice.

#2 horsewise

horsewise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

Call Sooner, talk w/your local camper dealer or hardware store. Also ask a good body shop.
[size=3]Avoidance, Resistance, Tolerance, Acceptance, Consistency, Partnership...where are you with these steps when training your horse?

#3 Ribellin

Ribellin

The next greatest ??? I don't know yet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

I bought an older, in much needed repair, little trailer. Leaked like a strainer! I went to an Auto body shop and bought sealant. It looks like caulking but it was white or clear. You put in in a caulking tube and there ya go! I had to buy 2 tubes of the stuff. I also bought rubber sealant at an RV dealership for repairing travel trailers. Same deal. Squeezed it on. Let it dry for a day or so.

I had my trailer painted by an Auto body paint repair man. Mine is just a small trailer so it's not perfect and I don't care. It looks better and it doesn't leak anymore!

Good luck to you!
Coral
----------------
Proud Owner of: Cheyenne..a 8 year old Mustang Mare

Mustangs Rule!!!

#4 quarterflash

quarterflash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

Yes .... go to the RV place and buy 'lap sealer'.

It's like caulk but doesn't set up as firmly leaving room for the flex in your trailer NOT to break the caulk seal.

I wish I didn't know that ... but I do and it works.
">
KT .... my adoring fan!