3 replies to this topic

#1 Athenah

Athenah

In Missouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:19 AM

I have read posts that refer to False Sole, and I was wondering if anyone had photos of this? What will it look like when my horse starts to shed his false sole? What can I expect to do for care?
I just don't want to freak out when it starts and not know for certain what is happening.

Why do the horses get a false sole?

Thank you!

#2 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

It depends on the ground conditions, how the sole comes out, how ready the horse is to lose it and how much the horse is ready to lose. It can get riddled with what looks like spider veins and chip out. Those veins can become deep cracks and it chunks out. It can come out all in one piece like an event or it can mush out. Sometimes it just seems to magically disappear as the groove deepens and concavity emanates out from there.
Focus on the groove depth which is telling you about P3 and the sole on the outside of that groove and what's happening there. As the groove deepens, the sole looks like its getting sucked up in the hoof with the groove, and concavity spreading out towards the walls all around. When it gets to the walls, you're there! Everything that gets concave is P3 getting higher off the ground with thicker sole. The thinnest sole and the last to come out is beside the walls, which is why its bad to rasp the sole beside the wall...thinning the thinnest place.
But remember that the sole, from ground conditions, will fill in again and can do this equally as fast. Hard ground creates extra sole for protection and is normal...a hoof being what it needs to be. With an injury, the sole can fill in very fast, looking like a smooth, migrating glacier across the hoof. (very yellow, waxy, smooth as a baby's bum and fast and flowing across the hoof...very strong...needed now!)
Concavity itself is not a constant. Just focus on the groove depth for the truth about P3 and the transition line coming down the outside of the hoof to mark your progress. What the sole is doing, is a given at any point in time depending on what the horse has told his hoof that he needs.

#3 Athenah

Athenah

In Missouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

Thank you both for the quick responses!

MC very educational as always :)

Hero'n Pony, thank you very visual "what to expect" photos! Now I will know what to look for!

Thanks again.

#4 Nixalba

Nixalba

Got Spots? Get an Appaloosa!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

Hey, that's awesome.

My mare is shedding false sole big time in the front hooves. It's the first time I've ever seen it. I've had her for 2 years (she is 3). We still have a ways to go with the hinds, though.