• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pooperscooper

pooperscooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 495 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

Turned another year older last weekend and decided to celebrate by going camping and riding. Went to a new place called Slabtown Trail rides near Roby, Mo. You can ride from there into the Paddy Creek Wilderness. It is a nice, neat little campground with good stalls, picnic tables, fire rings, hookups and clean bathhouse. The trails were good with lots of pretty overlooks, creeks, waterfalls, and caves. Took a few pics.

Pretty rock formations:

Big Piney River

Pretty view from an overlook

A neat cave

We had great weather and a wonderful time. Trees still don't have alot of color but were still pretty. Hope you guys enjoy.

#2 trailhoss2

trailhoss2

Happy Trails

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

Very pretty scenery! Looks like you had a great ride.

** board buds I've met.. Horsenaround, NY & OK Trailrider , Shann1turner

~ A Good Horse, A Good Trail, Good Friends and a Good Dog, Life don't get no better than that!!! ~

#3 mo qh trail rider

mo qh trail rider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

First, let me tell you a belated "Happy Birthday". Glad that you got to enjoy it while camping and trail riding. It was a beautiful weekend.

Did you have any fighter jets fly over you? Paddy Creek borders Fort Leonard Wood Military Base. We were riding there just after 911 and the skies were very busy and the air was full of the sounds of ammunition in the distance. I will probably never be able to ride in that area without that memory.

We have some friends who live just outside of Roby. We have been to their house a few times and rode from there to the Paddy Creek area. They once took us on a 10 hour ride that included a few brush runs. We have been trying to get even with them since that time, but they avoid letting us do that. They are running scared.

We have never ridden to that cave, though. That does look neat.

Thanks for sharing the pic's!

Happy Trails,
Elaine

Photo sharing website:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bemcelroy

From time to time, find yourself a place so peaceful that you can enter the quiet.

#4 pooperscooper

pooperscooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

The first afternoon we were there decided to go on a short ride on the N side of the campground, not in the Wilderness but National Forest. The owner says don't worry if we hear gunshots and that Ft. Leonard Wood isn't far and so on. So off we go and we start hearing shots and I say man we must be awful close but guess it's alright. Well we get back and she comes out and says, that just after we left a bunch of 4 wheelers tore down the road and started shooting at wild hogs and she was worried about us. Gee, we didn't know they hunted hogs up there. Anyways, yes we could hear lots of gunfire and artillery but that was a good ways off and didn't see any jets. I imagine though after 9/11 that was a very busy place.
Funny story about your friends and the brush, we did a little bushwacking up there too. Did you know there's an old plantation on Slabtown road and that there used to be a beet cannery in the Wilderness? We tried to find it but no luck, maybe next time.

#5 RailroadWoman

RailroadWoman

That's My Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:37 PM

That looks like a lovely place to ride in. Beautiful scenery there. Thanks for sharing with us. happy0203.gif

Posted Image
Horses, Oh Horses Furry and Sweet.
You are always hungry And you have lots to eat.
The grass is your food, You are never rude.
Apples and oats are your snack After someone has been on your back.
You stand on you feet when you sleep, You never make a peep,
Under the tress, you peacefully sleep, While waiting for the next morning.
Horses, Oh Horses Furry and Sweet.
(Morgan Woodrow)

#6 Silk

Silk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:41 PM

Very cool!
----------------------------------
My herd:
Rayvn: 7 yr old black arab gelding; Street Legacy: 7 yr old bay arab gelding; Khnotty Girl: 7 yr old chestnut Arab mare owned by my mom; Tammie: 17 yr old chestnut half-arab mare owned by my husband; Vash: 5 yr old black lab mix; Parker: 10 yr old aussie shepard mix, Naya & Iyani: 4 yr old malamute mixes; Mystery & Honey: 2 yr old german shepard mixes; Vela & Misha: the kitties 5 & 8

Rest In Peace:
Red: 20 yr old sorrel QH gelding
Silk: 16 yr old grey arab gelding
Beauty: 24 yr old bay arab mare
Savannah: 20 yr old bay arab mare

#7 Guest_cowpony01_*

Guest_cowpony01_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

There's nothing better than spending your birthday camping and with your best friend, your horse! I do it every year, Josie and I! It's the best! Happy Birthday, and many whinnies coming your way!!!!! yay.gif

#8 trails4me

trails4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:45 AM

Great pictures, looks like a nice area.
We rode at 4J Big Piney years ago, it was really nice. I remember hearing the boomers from Ft. Leonard wood and looking at the sky thinking "it doesn't look like rain". Then I realized what it really was!

Happy Birthday!

Diane
Cockelburr Ranch

#9 riderr.fqh

riderr.fqh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

Wow! Looks like a nice ride with beautiful scenery! Happy late birthday and what a great way to spend it!

#10 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

Happy Belated Birthday

Thank you for sharing your trail ride through such beautiful woods and hills!
I am so impressed when I see all the cliffs and caves that you have along the trails in Illinois!
Really wonderful!
HTTY

Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#11 Utahcowgirl

Utahcowgirl

Rhinestone Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:32 AM

Great pics! Looks like you guys had a fun time! Nothing better than spending a bday on the back of your horse. I loved that pic overlooking the hillside. Just beautiful!
The Pony-rider was usually a little bit of a man, brimful of spirit and endurance." Mark Twain