3 replies to this topic

#1 MareKrazed

MareKrazed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

My baby has a virus. He had high fever and I called the vet last Saturday evening; my regular vet wasn't on call another vet in the practice was. He said to give him banamine to reduce the fever. Well, a 5 month old can get pretty awful and we were unable to get the shot in a vein without losing our lives. I called the vet back and asked what to do and he said we could just do it IM. I did. Twice.

On Monday he was worse with a higher fever and I called and talked to my regular vet. She said to give banamine and I mentioned that I had to do it IM because he was so naughty. She said not to do that just to squirt it in his mouth. I *KNEW* I never gave it IM. It can cause the muscle and skin to slough off.

So, tonight, I notice a bit of swelling on his neck. No heat or pain. I'm totally freaking out. I plan to go check on him first thing in the morning and, of course, call the vet if it is worse or anything.

Someone please tell me it will all be ok.........

(I've edited this thing three times now b/c every time I've typed IM - with the "M" capitalized it has uncapitalized it. )

Edited by MareKrazed, 01 November 2008 - 09:18 PM.

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,310 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

Lots and lots of people have given banamine IM w/o any ill effect.

HOWEVER...please don't do it again. THe same med can be given PO (by mouth) if you can't do IV.

It's alarming to me that a vet would encourage it. Sigh.

But just hang in there. Be vigilant. Will be sending well wishes!

A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#3 MareKrazed

MareKrazed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

Yep, Broo, I knew I had a reason that I never gave it IM; but the vet said it was ok. Ugh.

I am totally freaking out. Totally.

I'm thinking of calling them now just to see. Although I know that they will say to wait until the morning regardless.

#4 cowgurlxxxx

cowgurlxxxx

ride hard or go home!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

The only negative thing that has happened to me with banamine is full body hives that lasted two days.

Hope your horse gets better!