4 replies to this topic

#1 storey

storey

Deviously Artistic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

Pulled up cheval in on monday to ride him and his lower leg about from the fetlock to the coronet band was warm and swollen.

I palpated and he was tender to the touch almost anywhere I touched. And dead lame.
I cold hosed for 20min brought him back into the cross ties. I called my trainer to see what to do, and about 30min later the heat moved down to the coronet area. And a little warm to the touch near the annular ligament area. Trainer had me ice tight from the knee down and serane wrap and vet wrap the leg like a polo. We did that mon and tues night, re doing the cold hosing and wrap everyday.

On Wends there was no swelling, but still heat in the coronet band but not in the annular ligament area, he was a little lame but not much, so we did the cold hosing the bandage for one more night.

My trainer took him to the vet this morning, did x-rays and ultra sound and nothing is wrong....
He is only slightly lame on the concret and no heat or swelling..
So who knows what he did!
I have a horse show this sat, and the vets said if hes not lame there should be no reason for him not to go.

I just dont know if i should still go on with the show and try riding him on fri.
He was clean but i dont know if im going to make it "reappear" if i try and ride him at all.

Any help? Comments or anything?
Thanks!

Storey

#2 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

If your vet says there's no injury then there PROBABLY isn't. No vet is infallable though.

If you feel roo uncomfortable about showing him you might as well play it safe and stay home. I know that if I were worrying about not reinjuring my horse I wouldn't be showing to my or the horse's full potential. Up to you.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#3 codysmom

codysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

If he is even a little lame after you work him on Friday I would say stay home especially if you are hauling out to the show. Why would you want to haul out and pay for fees if there is a good chance that you will be disqualified for riding an unsound horse.

Could he be brewing an abcess in his hoof?
Buddies met: Runnin'Colors, SCSpots, Abadan Arabians, Char & qhridinGA

#4 storey

storey

Deviously Artistic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

Nope vet checked for that also, weve ben playing safe and putting this hoof oitment that you are required to wear gloves with ( my trainers horse just had an abcess and it was used on her), on his soles and hoof to make sure there is nothing there.

So who knows if he comes up lame tomorrow or if afterwards he is stocked up im not going to show him, I show in the level 1s, and it would be near impossible to be going the speed we usally go with his tight turns with out blowing something out. So ill keep you guys updated!

#5 ImagineThat0404

ImagineThat0404

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

I was thinking abcess too.... Hmm. One time my horse kicked the stall and jammed his fetlock..his leg was big and he was 3 legged for a couple days. I just cold hosed it, gave him bute, and turned him out so he could walk around. He got much better after a couple days and was all better a few more days later. Maybe your horse kicked the wall or something like that?
~RIP Imagine That~

------------------------------