• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mock2Farms

Mock2Farms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

Does anyone know of a program that will certify a miniature horse as a therapy animal? I found one but want to look into all options.

Please post any information on the topic!

#2 codysmom

codysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

Try contacting some of the K-9 therapy groups in your area. They may be willing to work up a certification program for your mini. Mine was certified a few years back by a local K-9 group. The certification they came up with was jining thier group in a parade at X-mas. I did not know that this was going to be her certification test just thought we were joining them in the parade. We walked the parade route with fire engines behind us, the therapy dogs in the group were running around her feet, wrapping leashes around her legs, kids were running up to us and we were going up to the children in the crowd and she never once stepped out of line. After the parade while we were all sitting around relaxing before heading home they informed me that this was her certification test and she passed with flying colors.
Buddies met: Runnin'Colors, SCSpots, Abadan Arabians, Char & qhridinGA

#3 Mock2Farms

Mock2Farms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

Awe, how neat.

Good idea. I will check into it!

Thanks!

#4 RobinG

RobinG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

Delta Society Pet Partners. Several years ago I and my mini gelding were certified and went into schools, nursing homes and the local riding therapy program. They also carry insurance on you and your pet while visiting places. You have to pass a written exam and they will also put you and your pet partner through a series of test's to see how the two of you will react to different real life "nursing home" experiences. You'll even end up with a picture ID of you and your partner to show that your certified. Good Luck! Robin

#5 spacytracy

spacytracy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for posting this, as I have been searching as well.

I have come up pretty empty handed - Delta does not have a chapter in my state.

I did contact some local k-9 therapy groups so hopefully they will be able to help me.

#6 jackie2925

jackie2925

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

I have been looking for therapy information for dogs. I'm thinking of getting a puppy the first of the year for that purpose. But it's hard to find information on how to get started. I found Therapy Dogs International....and they seem to be all over. But once you get certified how to get into the hospitals. I'm sure that you can't just walk in..how do you get introduced and find out which hospitals want therapy pets in them......so little information for such a good cause.

Just found this for mini horse therapy...check em out!!
Mini horse certified

Hearts and Hooves

Ok just google...miniature horses for therapy...i got a ton of therapy information!

Ok this is my last edit..I promise!! I just found a website with great information on how to get started with therapy~~
Therapy information!!

Edited by jackie2925, 16 November 2008 - 06:49 PM.

Horseless