• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sweet Barbie

Sweet Barbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hi, I tried looking through the archives but didn't find anything...sorry if this has been discussed recently.
Last year this mare had a blood-tinted and smelly discharge that was diagnosed as an infection and treated with anti-biotics. (18 months after last foal)
Now she is urinating frequently, only a little urine actually comes out. It has no bad odor, she is active, healthy, and eating good. SHe is not running fever, she is not in heat, she's not irritable. Her youngest foal is now 2 1/2 years old and she is not pregnant.
Does anyone have any idea what this is about? I'm calling the vet Monday but would love to save some money right here before Christmas if possible (I'm having dental work done on a horse this weekend $$$$ whew!) Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Isaiah 40:31

#2 Rockinrider

Rockinrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

This could be an indication of a starting urinary tract infection. It can also be a sign of a metabolic problem or urethritis. The first thing you can do is get a fresh clean urine sample and drop it by your vets for analysis.
Met board buddy MyOldHorse when I was born

"Take a good look around you as you go and remember what you see, for those things sometime may never more be."

"I rode a horse today I lost my heart along the way so , I have to ride a horse tomorrow to try to coax my heart to follow"

"Stop...to smell a rose on the way, look for the rainbow, don't step on the ladybug, feel the sun on your back, breath intentionally sensing the cool air in your lungs, listen to the birds, or the absolute silence, it's the small things that we sometimes forget in our hectic lives that help keep us grounded "

MyOldHorse come back

Please welcome our new family addition, Newton. Born on May 21, at 4:30 a.m. Born in 1 hour, I still have problems believing this.

#3 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Rockinrider @ Nov 15 2008, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This could be an indication of a starting urinary tract infection. It can also be a sign of a metabolic problem or urethritis. The first thing you can do is get a fresh clean urine sample and drop it by your vets for analysis.

Ditto, As long as you're sure she's not in heat, it will save you the farm call fee anyway.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.