7 replies to this topic

#1 Kyra

Kyra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

My dog was just spayed on Monday morning(yesterday).Today i noticed more swelling,and i just don't know whats normal. Its not red or draining, just swollen.I know it could just be normal irritation, but its better safe than sorry!
She acts fine,is drinking and eating and being her normal wacky self,though i'm not letting her run around. The swelling is just right under the incision. It's probably an inch or 2 in height. I'm gonna call the vet tomorrow just to ask but i wanted my worries put to rest for tonight!! Thanks!

Edited by Kyra, 19 November 2008 - 08:32 PM.

Posted Image
My best friends; Joe, Barra, Dollar, Luna,Hank, Morning and Reena
And one spunky,animated Quarab,Smoke
My Dogs;Chessa and Reese
*RIP* Dobbin. I love you so much!1982-Nov.15 2005
*RIP* Bitsy. Love you!1968-July 19,2006
*RIP* Bella. You are missed!1987-Feb.8,2008
*RIP* Skittles.

#2 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

"Normal, wacky self" is likely the problem. The more active they are post-operatively, the more swelling there is going to be. You need to be keeping her quiet.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#3 Kyra

Kyra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

What i meant by that is she would LIKE to be wacky.I'm keeping her in a crate and she wags her tail wildly,barks and stuff b/c she wants out.And when i take her out to go potty, she wants to run.But i don't let her.

Posted Image
My Dogs;Chessa and Reese
*RIP* Skittles.

#4 horsecrazybvh

horsecrazybvh

Unknown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:18 AM

When we got our lab spayed, I didnt notice any swelling. Im sure there was a little, but not enough for me to notice.

We told the vets we didnt want the pain meds for her and brought her home and crated her. Once she started waking up more she was going nuts and crying from the pain. We had to run back and get the pain meds. They quieted her down alot. She slept pretty much all day on them. I think we used them for like 2 or 3 days. They helped alot by keeping her calm and sleeping. Also when we went outside, we carried her up and down the steps for like 3 days so she didnt have to move whole lot. Try carrying a 70lb dog up and down the steps. lol.

But just keep her as still as possible. I would deff. put a call into the vet, it is always better to be safe then sorry.

~JeSs~

I am the alpha

Posted Image

Just smile and wave.

#5 Ann Wheeler

Ann Wheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,923 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:55 AM

yes there will be some swelling..

always allowed our dog to get up and move around, it helped the swelling to go down

Edited by Ann Wheeler, 19 November 2008 - 04:58 AM.

#6 qhridinGA

qhridinGA

Strongly Worded Southerner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hmm, I dont recall any swelling with any of my dogs. And I have never had pain meds for them either. When I had Bandikoot spayed she never acted like anything was wrong. I kept her crated when I went to work and let her out to walk around the house when we were home. And took her for walks. Never had a problem with her. When Lacey was spayed they did a tiny tiny incision on her, mabye an inch. He said because she only had 3 legs and it was less apt to tear or be sore. He was right, she never showed any pain. They didnt give her pain meds either.
confused0024.gif
Pinky

One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Board Buddies I have met: CassienChey (my daughter), Loranbama, PokeysGirl, Racie Gracie, Acesgetngood, PineBarSissy, Painted Joy, Demon's Mom, DustyGirl (Char), Hastflicka, AnnWatersHC (USC Annabelle), HorseCity Admin, Draftiemama, Draftiepapa, HeartFeltFarm, LTR, QTime, Horseles, Tuper, Shelley and Andy Carter, upnoverfarm, The Geek, Pasogirlz, PaintedHorizon, mayday95, Tequilaskye, Cowgirlartist, Forever In Blue Jeans, SpottedTApps, Poldi, Flequus, Rockabilllygal, Spunker's Gal,TRB, Driftin Mom, Driftin Cowgirl and now Florida Cowgirl, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Tuckaway, the original HoofsinMotion, Apps4Life, Ratts, Notyo, BBBlue, Lash, The Sugar Lady, Cactus Rose, Barnbarb , Theo, and now Abadan Arabians, Codysmom and SCspots.

#7 spotz58

spotz58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

We had one years ago that swelled right where the incision was, so it looked like there was a vienna sausage stuck under the skin. It was a local reaction to the suture material. She healed anyway, but it took a while and the vet was cosidering removing the stitches and putting something else in but it never got to that point.

#8 Kyra

Kyra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

Well i called the vet and she wanted me to take her in. I did and she ripped her internal sutures. thud.gif I kept her in a crate and tried as hard as i could to keep her quiet after her surgery. But do you know how hard that is with my dog??? bang_head.gif I only took her out to go potty but she was always super hyper. Oh i'm so annoyed. This is gonna cost more money!! mecry.gif I love her but she sure is trying my patience (not to mention my budget!)

Posted Image
My Dogs;Chessa and Reese
*RIP* Skittles.