11 replies to this topic

#1 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

I'm looking into buying a tucker saddle for my horse. It seems to fit him well and seems to be a good quality saddle but things often seem that way and then turn out to not. I thought I'd check here and see if anybody has any good or bad things to say about them.

I plan to get the Tucker Endurance. It is a big investment for me and I just want to make sure nobody has any horor stories before I purchase it. Thanks! -Cat

#2 goatmom

goatmom

Are we done yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

You came to the right place. Several on here have them and I plan to get one in February. I am sure that when others get on here in the morning you will see lots of good reviews on them. This is why I am going to go ahead and take the plunge.

#3 1wildkatt

1wildkatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:36 AM

Hi all, I liked my Tucker as a trail saddle, but i had a problem when I rode a 3 day clinic with it. We cantered alot. The placement of the latigo keeper is right under the knee when you canter. This doesn't seem to be a problem unless you do a lot of cantering. I sold my Tucker and bought a Reinsman flex tree. Love, love, love it. I've put hundreds of hours in it and I still love it and it still looks great. Your milage may vary, but do take a look at the latigo keepers before you buy.

Kat
Kat

#4 mo qh trail rider

mo qh trail rider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:22 AM

Just make sure that you buy the proper tree. I had a Tucker that I loved for me. It was very comfortable, but I made a big mistake and ignorantly bought one with a medium tree. The salesman knew that I was going to use it on a quarter horse, so I partly blame him for selling me a saddle that wasn't made for a quarter horse. I assumed he was selling me the right saddle and I didn't realize it had a medium tree until sometime later when it made sores on my horses withers. That made me sick. After that, I actually bought another saddle at an auction that I was told had quarter horse bars. That saddle was made by Western Saddlery. It looked like it fit good, but again after a week long trail riding trip, it was rubbing the withers, also. Evidently there is a pretty big difference between quarter horse bars and full quarter horse bars. Live and learn! Anyway, I recently traded the old Tucker in for a new Tucker with full quarter horse bars. So far so good, but I have only been able to take it out for short rides. From past experience, you really need to spend several 6-8 hour, long days in a row using the saddle to "really" know if it will work on your horse. The old Tucker that I started out with, seemed to have a good fit, but after a week of hard riding, it would start to rub. Saddles don't come cheap, so you sure don't want to make the same mistake that I did, twice. When I went to buy yet another saddle, I didn't really think that I would buy another Tucker. I sat on several saddles in the store that would probably fit my horse. I couldn't find another saddle that felt as good to me as the Tucker. We took it and another saddle out in the parking lot and unloaded my horse from the trailer and tried them on her to make sure they fit good. The new Tucker looked like a good fit, so that is what I went with. Until we take a trail riding trip next summer and spend two weeks in the saddle, I don't think I will "really" be able to put it to the full test. I am hoping, hoping, hoping, that this one will work this time. Buying a new saddle is a major pain in the butt IMO, so I wish you the best of luck.
Happy Trails,
Elaine

Photo sharing website:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bemcelroy

From time to time, find yourself a place so peaceful that you can enter the quiet.

#5 trails4me

trails4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:10 AM

My husband and I each have Tuckers. Well, he still has his, I traded my Cheyenne in January for a Circle Y Carlsbad trail saddle. The Circle Y is nice, but I recently traded it in for a new Tucker Chenenne Springs saddle yay.gif Tucker's are GREAT GREAT saddles. The service from the company and dealers is the best. I agree with MoQH, make sure to get the right tree!!! You can call their customer service or ask your dealer to measure your horse. My Qh and Paint need the wide tree, it makes a huge difference!
My new one should be here on 12/6, I'll be posting pictures then!
My husband rides in a Tucker Ranch Hand, it's really comfy and he loves it. I am only unhappy with the coloring. It's the light oil, and hasn't worn the way I would prefer, but he says it's fine.
Also if you order one, be sure to ask lots of questions, you can customize lots of things.
I added trail stirrups for 32.00, but if you buy them after the fact, it's 80.00.
I also had aztec star conchos put on mine. You can choose tooling or plain on most models too.

I know Tucker owns Circle Y, but you just can't beat a Tucker.
Good luck, post pictures!!!

Diane
Cockelburr Ranch

#6 BigHeart

BigHeart

Follow Your Dreams!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

I have a first generation Cheyenne and love it! It fit my mare perfectly when I first got it, now she has a bit of a swayback from age, so I use a CSI pad to compensate. The wide trail stirrups are wonderful. Good luck!
You don't have to be rich to enjoy life's riches

Board Buddies I have met: Crazy Trail Adventurer, Sisely, Zakima, Zmecky, Elise & Dash, HorsingRound

#7 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

Thanks everybody, I guess I'm off to buy a Tucker.

I really appreciate the tips about the tree's because if they hadn't had "wide" tree saddles at the shop as well I probably would've given up after trying the medium. I have a quite round quarter horse/ mustang cross and the medium just didn't do it for him. The wide still seems to sit high on his back but doesn't seem to rub. The guy at the tack shop didn't think he could possibly need an extra wide though. Any idea's about that? Anybody had to get an extra wide?

I def. understand what your saying MOQH about the fanal test of a long ride. It's too bad you can't take saddles and REALLY test them.

Thanks! -Cat

#8 azgrulla

azgrulla

Scuba diving diva!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:37 AM

I have a Cheyenne and love it! I got a wide tree....my saleperson recommended a wide tree for my 'wide' horse.

I love the cushy tushy seat.

azgrulla smileywavey.gif
Lazy A Ranch and Spa

Featuring....

Tonka: Grulla dun QH gelding
Mr Potatoe Head: QH gelding
R.I.P. Ranger: English Springer Spaniel July 4th,1995-January 27th,2008
Bogey: Tri-colored Beagle spazzoid dog
Mulligan: Lab/Rottie sweetheart dog
Bailey: Lemon Beagle...such a luver
Church: Grey, evil cat
R.I.P.Junior: Grey, pain in the butt cat July,1997-March 10th,2008
R.I.P Back-up. Aussie-mix 1995-Feb 18, 2007
R.I.P. Snoop cat
R.I.P. Paramount's Reknown, Bay Morgan gelding

GO SUN DEVILS!!!!
GO BOILERMAKERS!!!!

#9 trails4me

trails4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

I loved my Cheyenne too! So much, I ordered another flirt.gif
I was the second person that week to trade their "new" Circle Y back in for a Tucker.
I'm not bashing the Circle Y, just prefer my Tucker!
It'll be here in 2 weeks!!!

Now if the riding season were that close, I'd be thrilled!
Not to mention our lovely Illinois Governor threatening to close our parks again. mecry.gif

Diane
Cockelburr Ranch

#10 mo qh trail rider

mo qh trail rider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

Cat2, Have you bought your saddle yet? I was told that my new saddle has full quarter horse bars. I am assuming that is the same as extra wide. I bought it at PFI. There were only 3 types of trail saddles with full quarter horse bars there and they have a large selection of saddles in that store. From what I understand, a few years ago, people didn't think that the foundation horses were a good thing, so they were breeding a lot of appendix horses, quarter horse with thoroughbred. This was making their backs more narrow. Now in recent years, breeders are going back to more of the old foundation breeds, so the horses backs are now going back to the wider conformation. Anyway, what that means is that a few years ago, when they put a quarter horse bar in a saddle, it was meant to fit a horse with more of the appendix breeding or a back that was a little more narrow. If your horse has a back that is more like the foundation breed horse, he or she might need a tree with a "full" quarter horse bar. If I was you and it is possible, I would take your horse to the saddle store, so you can try the saddle on your horse right there. Have the salesman help you find the right tree for your horse. Someone once told me that Tucker saddles were originally made more for gaited breeds, so a lot of them were made more narrow. When I was having trouble with my old Tucker, a Tucker representative actually came to my house to see how that saddle fit. It really didn't seem to fit all that bad, but the white hairs on her withers told differently. Good luck and let us know when you get your new saddle.

Edited by mo qh trail rider, 23 November 2008 - 12:48 PM.

Happy Trails,
Elaine

Photo sharing website:
http://community.webshots.com/user/bemcelroy

From time to time, find yourself a place so peaceful that you can enter the quiet.

#11 dognpony

dognpony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

I tried a few tuckers, but none of them are wide enough. ALtho i have never tried the 'extra wide' that i have seen advertised. Someone mentioned a circle y reinsman flex rite. A freidn of mine just recommended this to me... Chet is so hard to fit. He is short (15'1) but weighs almost 1300 lbs, wears a 2 shoe and a WB halter and an 84" weatherbeta. He is round, big shouldered and has great withers... so i need gullet room and clearance....

Any ideas???? I love the tucker i rode in it was so comfy.... but it has to fit me horse...
Major - show dog Extraordinare
Chet - The bestest ..
Van - 6 year old WB cross G
Irish - 17 yr TB/Morgan Mare

#12 trails4me

trails4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

You can email Tucker for instructions on measuring your horse. You may be surprised what he'll need for a tree.
Google Tucker Saddles, you should be able to get their website with contact info.
Or, you can PM me for Anne Fordyce's email from Tucker. She's been on best of America By Horseback, and is a really nice gal.

Diane
Cockelburr Ranch