17 replies to this topic

#1 Alum'srider

Alum'srider

middle of the road

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

Oh My Goodness, can anyone help me with this. Due to Pressure from my family I have now started putting a horse blanket on my Mare. Yes, now even though it is still fall, and hasn't even really gotten cold yet. My mare does have fine thin hair, and does not grow a good winter coat, actually it really doesn't look like a poor winter coat. She is healthy, but that is her DNA.
OK, we (Alum my mare and I ) are learning how to put this thing on, and she is learning how to protest somewhat quietly. That's not the issue. When I take it off it shocks the devil out of her. Up until now it has been minor, but this morning there was a couple of jolts that got me, and she took a couple of the the h-ll out of dodge steps. How do you get the electricity out of your blankets. For my cloths I use a hair product in a pump, have considered that, but it is liquid, and do not want to hold moisture between her, and the blanket. Like I said, I am learning about this thing. Took it off of her this morning as it is calling for freezing rain, or rain. My family kinda fussed at me as the blanket is water proof. questionicon.gif

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

Purchase some static guard spray. Should be able to find it at Walmart or somesuch near lint rollers or if not there, in the fabric dept.

A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#3 spotz58

spotz58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

Remove the blanket with one hand while keeping the other hand on the horse.

#4 LisaQuincy

LisaQuincy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

I've had this problem with only one of my horses and her nylon sheet. I'd never had the problem before this year with static, but I just took it off with one hand and kept my other hand on her and no problem. (Like the other poster suggested) I know you said you were new to blanketing, but taking a waterproof blanket off before it's about to start freezing rain or rain, can cause more harm than good. The blanket will make whatever coat she has lay down and if you take it off and it's really cold it will be hard for her to adjust, especially when the rain is falling. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything just making a simple suggestion lol. I know my weatherbeeta blankets keep my horses completely dry even in the pouring rain. Good luck with your blanket ordeal. smilie.gif
~Lisa

Texas-12yr old AQHA mare
Sixy- 8yr old AQHA mare
Flash-7yr old AQHA gelding
Faith-2yr old AQHA filly

Live.Laugh.Love.

#5 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

I had that issue with my first horse. I couldn't ever figure out why he was sooo stinkin crabby one winter. Turned out to be all the static shocking him!! I bought a bottle of Equinique (sp?) spray on leave in conditioner and just gave him a fine mist, rubbed it in, and threw on the blankie. Things were MUCH better after I started doing that!
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#6 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

Wow! I didn't know there was such a thing as Static Guard Broo! Cool! I wonder if I can spray it directly on horse tails? It's been so dry here lately that Tigo and Gully have been coming in with their tails looking like they are touching one of those static machine balls.

I've rubbed with drier sheets in the past.

Cadence Rhythm Beads is now on:
Facebook
and on
PhotoBucket

#7 jnr_equine89

jnr_equine89

pooper scooper trooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

static guard does work wonders.. sometimes when i don't have it at hand.. i run to the washroom in the barn and grab one of the fabric softener/static guard-type sheets you throw in the dryer.. i rub it all over the horse and then stick the blanket on.. that usually does the trick when im in a pinch for time and can't find the sg spraybottle

Edited by jnr_equine89, 24 November 2008 - 10:36 PM.

There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse. ~ Robert Smith Surtees

#8 MiHorseGirl

MiHorseGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:56 AM

Static Guard comes in a dark blue aerosol cal with an orange top smileywavey.gif
Proud Mommy Of:
Caleb Joseph~ Born July 26,2007

Proud Owner Of:
Skip~ Grade 20+ yr. old Appaloosa gelding- Best horse I've ever met!

Prince~ Crazy 5 yr. old pinto Mini gelding

Sabien~ Hubbie's crazy 10 yr. old Morgan gelding I'm not too fond of...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PRO-SLAUGHTER

PRO-LIFE

#9 ThreeStarsLoki

ThreeStarsLoki

HC Village Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

Ditto on the Static Guard. It stinks, but it works. Use it on your clothes too.

I'd be kinda careful about the blanketing. Horses are tough critters and you'd be surprised what they can handle in terms of the elements. My horse is a narrow little Arab/Saddlebred cross but he's championed over all the snow we've been getting the last couple winters. I try not to blanket unless I really really need to.

Posted Image

Sandoval County Sheriff's Posse

Three Stars Gang

GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!!!!!

#10 ClippityClopClippityClop

ClippityClopClippityClop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

You can also mix a little fabric softener (like downy or snuggle) with water in a spray bottle. That works great too. Might be cheaper too.
C4
Ride because you have dreams yet to live...ride because you have dreams yet to have!
<__~~
../__......

#11 mydakota

mydakota

Ex-Con

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:37 PM

Do you find you have more trouble with this when using synthetic lined blankets, over say, wool lined blankets?
I got 2 wonderful horses at Emerald Valley Equine Assistance Horse Rescue.
Dakota-6 year old bay Quarab gelding
Macai-17 year old black Arab mare

May your horse never stumble, your cinch never break
Your belly never grumble, your heart never ache.

Until you learn to always take care of your horse before you take care of yourself, your horse can never be expected to take care of you. (Grandpa Thompson)

R.I.P. Kelso, Half Arab gelding B ? 1961, D 12-17-94 my companion for 23 years.
R.I.P. Nerak, Arabian gelding B March 1973, D 2-14-00 my companion for 25 years.
I will listen for your hoofbeats in heaven.

I met a few board buddies! MondaesMom, Andi, Audrey Mae, Silverdreamer3, Red Ripley, Beaucephus, Desperate Horsewife, Rodentra, Mrs. , xpasocorto, Scapoose, Paca Paca, Adoro Reina, Remy, LightningStrikesTwice and Quarterflash!

#12 mrs

mrs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (jnr_equine89 @ Nov 24 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
static guard does work wonders.. sometimes when i don't have it at hand.. i run to the washroom in the barn and grab one of the fabric softener/static guard-type sheets you throw in the dryer.. i rub it all over the horse and then stick the blanket on.. that usually does the trick when im in a pinch for time and can't find the sg spraybottle

/\ I do that to my cats all winter. /\

SG spray would work great for a horse blanket.

#13 Alum'srider

Alum'srider

middle of the road

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

Thanks Guys
My gut tells me that she doesn't need a blanket on, and to hold off until it gets really cold in Jan or Feb, like I said I am getting pressure from my Husband, and daughter (daughter is now working at a vet clinic and has talked to the vet about our horses, and this is what the vet says to do) She (the vet says that since Alum has such thin hair that she needs one now. My gut says not yet. Will the blanket on now stop the hair from growing out for a winter coat?? I am not a vet, or a trainer. Experience is in the middle of the road, so still learning things. As I said new to this blanket thing..

#14 theghostlady

theghostlady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

I am brand new to this forum. I am also brand new to horses. Just a wild hair I have gotten in my old age. I rode as a teenager in England but never could afford to ride or own a horse once we got back to the states. So I am living my life dream. I am very serious about doing this right and have been reading, taking lessons, working with trainers etc. I have been getting to know my new mare over the past few weeks . We were getting along great until Sunday and I experienced the blanket static electricity shock. We were both on a rubber mat and I had rubber shoes. When I removed the blanket ( she is big 16.2 so I have to slide it) she got a tremendous shock. She came unglued a bit and snorted and carried on. I got her calmed down but had to touch her and I shocked her again. It is me as much as her. I have shocked myself all day long today. I have tried leather gloves........who dreamed that one up? It doesn't work. I can't allow this to happen again. It was so scary for Julie that I wanted to cry. It pretty much messed up our good week we were having. Has everyone used or tried what they are suggesting or was it just something you read or heard about. I have to have the REAL thing because I am really trying to bond with this beautiful girl. THis is what I have read or heard about so far or been told.

Fabric softener sheets
Leather gloves
Cotton under sheet
Cowboy magic products
Static guard
Oil in their food

HELP!!!!!!Thanks so much. bang_head.gif

#15 Zeusyboy

Zeusyboy

Life Is Better At A Gallop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:33 AM

Static Guard would be your best bet IMHO.

But while sliding off the blanket, keep your hand on her neck, shoulder or whereever.

Your rubber shoes will ground any static. Its when the static tries to jump between you and the horse that causes the Zap.

Use static guard on the blanket, and when removing the blanket, keep your hand on her.

(Had the same problem one year, static guard WORKS. )
ASHLEY
Theres no such thing as PEOPLE with HORSE issues, Just HORSES with PEOPLE issues. - Buck Brannaman
Even though you've been Bucked, Kicked Bit and Stomped... Never Give Up....
Silly Boys..Trucks Are For Girls
I Haven't Got A Pot To Pee In, Or Even A Window To Throw It Out Of..
I FINALLY Met A Board Buddy - Mudder, Taglet, Barnboss

#16 Zeusyboy

Zeusyboy

Life Is Better At A Gallop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE (Alum'srider @ Nov 25 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Guys
My gut tells me that she doesn't need a blanket on, and to hold off until it gets really cold in Jan or Feb, like I said I am getting pressure from my Husband, and daughter (daughter is now working at a vet clinic and has talked to the vet about our horses, and this is what the vet says to do) She (the vet says that since Alum has such thin hair that she needs one now. My gut says not yet. Will the blanket on now stop the hair from growing out for a winter coat?? I am not a vet, or a trainer. Experience is in the middle of the road, so still learning things. As I said new to this blanket thing..

Go with your gut. I only used a blanket one year with Zeus. We had issues with feed/supplements and he wasn't growing a winter coat, when he usually puffed up like a wooly mammoth.

But you know what's normal in your mare. If its normal for her to carry on into the end of the month without much of a coat. No shivering, or weight loss, or anything like that from her, then I think you'll be fine. But do go with your gut.

smileywavey.gif
ASHLEY
Theres no such thing as PEOPLE with HORSE issues, Just HORSES with PEOPLE issues. - Buck Brannaman
Even though you've been Bucked, Kicked Bit and Stomped... Never Give Up....
Silly Boys..Trucks Are For Girls
I Haven't Got A Pot To Pee In, Or Even A Window To Throw It Out Of..
I FINALLY Met A Board Buddy - Mudder, Taglet, Barnboss

#17 theghostlady

theghostlady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

Great!! I did static guard her blanket yesterday. The barn owner took the blankets off because it was too warm. It has been well below freezing here lately with a wicked wind chill so she has been blanketing all the horses. I really don't know about Julie and her cold tolerance. I have only had her for a month. Her previous owner clipped her down so i think she definitely needs blanketing except on milder, sunny days. That sun can really help. Thanks so much for the response.

#18 Silk

Silk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:04 AM

I have to use a blanket on my old mare and my young Arab, who won't grow a darn coat at all. My other gelding doesn't need one at all. Make sure the blanket you're using is the right weight for your weather too. If it's too thin, it will just make the horse colder (presses down the hair, so all warmth must come from the blanket.) Same thing if it's too heavy, it just makes the horse miserable. Thing is, once you start using a blanket, you have to keep using it all winter.
----------------------------------
My herd:
Rayvn: 7 yr old black arab gelding; Street Legacy: 7 yr old bay arab gelding; Khnotty Girl: 7 yr old chestnut Arab mare owned by my mom; Tammie: 17 yr old chestnut half-arab mare owned by my husband; Vash: 5 yr old black lab mix; Parker: 10 yr old aussie shepard mix, Naya & Iyani: 4 yr old malamute mixes; Mystery & Honey: 2 yr old german shepard mixes; Vela & Misha: the kitties 5 & 8

Rest In Peace:
Red: 20 yr old sorrel QH gelding
Silk: 16 yr old grey arab gelding
Beauty: 24 yr old bay arab mare
Savannah: 20 yr old bay arab mare