29 replies to this topic

#1 doubledee

doubledee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

I have a need to remove some t-posts from some frozen ground. Do any of you brilliant people have any ideas how to get this done without killing myself? I'm open to all suggestions. I don't really have access to a tractor, so I'm looking for other options. Thanks.

edited for clarification:
I'm getting the t-posts from a friend who is moving out of state. That's why I need to remove them now. I won't be putting it back up until Spring when the ground is soft.

Edited by doubledee, 17 December 2008 - 12:40 PM.

Dee

Board buddy's I've met : Fawn & Jazz's Mom, Theo, Adagio (formerly Barklay's bay), Snowyhorse and now Buddyroo!

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Truck. Chain. Pull.

Careful though...when it's really cold like this, you very well could snap them off. If you don't HAVE to remove them right now, I'd wait til it softens up a bit like it always does right after Xmas and see if you can't just dig them out.

A broken off T-post is a lot more dangerous.
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#3 Theo

Theo

I'm not as tall as I sound.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Is this a project for this Saturday?! I'm up for it!!!

What about pouring hot water around them DD?
Chico-15 year old Tennuvian. Yeah I know, but "they" say it's a breed.

Board Buddies I've Met: F&J's Mom, Double Dee, Barklay's My Bay, Buddyroo, Lynnehall, Pinky, Sugah, Demon's Mom, CassienChey, Jack Baumgartner.

#4 doubledee

doubledee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

I need to remove them and reuse them Roo. I'm gonna take down a pasture and move it to my place.
I thought about that Theo! I'm gonna try it on a couple I have here at the house. Hopefully a little hot water and asledge hammer to work them loose a little will work.
Can't wait to see you guys this weekend Theo!! How convenient to get all this snow and cold weather, huh? duh.gif

Dee

Board buddy's I've met : Fawn & Jazz's Mom, Theo, Adagio (formerly Barklay's bay), Snowyhorse and now Buddyroo!

#5 TxPALOMINO-Kim

TxPALOMINO-Kim

Yella Horse Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

Do you have one of those old fashioned car jacks - not the modern rinky-dink Mickey Mouse ones, but one that goes to an older model car or truck? That and a flat piece of plywood and a chain can help you out lots.

If not, Tractor Supply sells T-post pullers that work along that same concept.

If you pull with a truck, you also have to be prepared for it to come back and smash the truck if you're not very careful.
~~ KIM ~~
02/27/06-RIP Lil Bit. My precious golden boy.
I know you're waiting for me and I'll see you again someday.
No love is greater than that of a big yella horse....

I met board buddies: Running Free & GoPartyGo (Jan 2009);Tuckaway (Apr 2009); Fudge02 (Dec 2010)

#6 Sorrel1

Sorrel1

They're coming to take me away, HA HA!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,205 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (TxPALOMINO-Kim @ Dec 17 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you have one of those old fashioned car jacks - not the modern rinky-dink Mickey Mouse ones, but one that goes to an older model car or truck? That and a flat piece of plywood and a chain can help you out lots.

If you pull with a truck, you also have to be prepared for it to come back and smash the truck if you're not very careful.

Handyman jacks are great for pulling posts. Just be careful with them because the handles from time to time will slip and nail a person in the head. Ask my husband. rolleye0014.gif

Cowmans Red Jack

The Turd Posse MSTRBKBHRWNS

My husband is a member of HELP~Husbands of Equine Loving Partners

Proud Member of the Board Buddy Club!-->Foxlover, Prairie Rose, R_Beau, Moonchick, PasoGirl, Shuddabenacowboy, Rose of Kilarney, Tuckaway, Nvrgvn, CindyP, Driftin' Mom, RickisSweetSmoke...who's next???
Phone Board Buddy Club: Serendell, Nagolder, Rose of Kilarney, Buddyroo!

#7 doubledee

doubledee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thanks TxPalominoKim, I saw the TSC t-post puller online but I wasn't sure how well it would work in the frozen ground. I'll have to go check it out.

Thanks Ladies.
Dee

#8 goatmom

goatmom

Are we done yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (TxPALOMINO-Kim @ Dec 17 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto to what Kim has said. They are the old bumper car jacks. Works great. You might call some salvage yards if you don't have one.

Edited by goatmom, 17 December 2008 - 12:36 PM.

#9 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

yeah..there's significant risk for injury to self, others or vehicles in this process.

surrender.gif
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#10 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,206 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

Then you will also have the problem of pounding them back INTO frozen ground! Doesn't work very well.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#11 Sorrel1

Sorrel1

They're coming to take me away, HA HA!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,205 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (BuddyRoo @ Dec 17 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah..there's significant risk for injury to self, others or vehicles in this process.

surrender.gif

Oh yeah. Hubby was jacking up a car with one and the handle slipped and hit him in the head, knocking him out cold. He was out in the middle of nowhere with only his boss' seven year old kid and this was before cell phones. Poor Dusty was scared spitless and Jeremy was much more careful with the darn things afterwards.

Cowmans Red Jack

The Turd Posse MSTRBKBHRWNS

My husband is a member of HELP~Husbands of Equine Loving Partners

Proud Member of the Board Buddy Club!-->Foxlover, Prairie Rose, R_Beau, Moonchick, PasoGirl, Shuddabenacowboy, Rose of Kilarney, Tuckaway, Nvrgvn, CindyP, Driftin' Mom, RickisSweetSmoke...who's next???
Phone Board Buddy Club: Serendell, Nagolder, Rose of Kilarney, Buddyroo!

#12 doubledee

doubledee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

I should have explained more in my original post. I'll go edit. ashamed0002.gif
I'm getting the t-posts from a friend who is moving out of state. That's why I need to remove them now. I won't be putting it back up until Spring when the ground is soft.
Dee

#13 Fawnsmom

Fawnsmom

board-aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

Theo I hope you are bringing your camera for this one LOL
Board buddies I have met... DoubleDee, Adagio formerly known as Barkleys Bay, Snowyhorse, Buddyroo , Theo aka Snarky McSnarkface and Saddletramp !!!

#14 doubledee

doubledee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

Ya know, with an attitude like that something bad is bound to happen now!!! crazy.gif
Dee

#15 Theo

Theo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:52 PM

Well DD, can't you just use your "God" given...er....DD's to help
with the ummphhhh? Those things look pretty mighty ya know.

I think it would be fabulous to see and will bring camera! rotf.gif

Board Buddies I've Met: F&J's Mom, Double Dee, Barklay's My Bay, Buddyroo, Lynnehall, Pinky, Sugah, Demon's Mom, CassienChey, Jack Baumgartner.

#16 doubledee

doubledee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

Now why you gotta go there Theo? I swear if any more unflattering pics of me show up on the internet Theo, I'll have to hunt you down! I know where you keep your precious Chico! crazy.gif rotf.gif You're just jealous of my Beauty. flirt.gif Besides those things are real, do you know how much it would cost to replace them? shocked.gif
Just for that I'm putting spiders in the the lovely box of holiday cookies I was planning to give you.
Dee

#17 Theo

Theo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

That's sounded vaguely like a dare Missy!

#18 doubledee

doubledee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

Ohhhhh! Just you wait Theo. I WILL get even!!!!!!!
Dee

#19 Theo

Theo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

Not even a little skeerd.

#20 doubledee

doubledee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

you're just plain ole EVIL!!!
Dee

#21 Theo

Theo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

I wouldn't describe myself as plain personally.

I think I'm a nutty evil! crazy.gif

#22 jumpin_horses

jumpin_horses

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

I dont know...... I dont think this is a good project for winter...

um, I dont think even a truck or a jack can pull them out.....

you may want to get some coal and lighter fluid and burn some hot coals around the posts for a while.

- Where knowledge ends, brutality begins.
- The more gagets you need to train a horse, the less skills you have.
- Nothing obtained by force can be beautiful.
- Every horse deserves a good foot... Its their right.
- The world would be a better place if human children were raised by brood mares

RIP - Webby -- "You were SO beautiful. I will never forget you. I will LOVE you forever"

#23 Fawnsmom

Fawnsmom

board-aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Oh you two are cracking me up here LOL Look what happens I go read a book and leave you two alone for a while and come back to this LOL

Board buddies I have met... DoubleDee, Adagio formerly known as Barkleys Bay, Snowyhorse, Buddyroo , Theo aka Snarky McSnarkface and Saddletramp !!!

#24 Cactus Rose

Cactus Rose

Mountain Trail Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,563 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

.........a chain and somebody's tractor with a bucket.

That'd pop those out of there like a setta tweezers and chin hair..........

CR
&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Shut Up & Enjoy The Music ! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;&#9835;

#25 Driftin'Mom

Driftin'Mom

Don't wait 4 your ship 2 come in. Get out & find it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

There is a reason they call those old jacks 'widow makers'.

We used one with a chain to pull out posts. It does work, but not as well as a tractor with a bucket. ;)

CR - we must have been typing at the same time. LOL

Edited by Driftin'Mom, 17 December 2008 - 01:50 PM.

And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath over it, and created the horse.
-Bedouin Legend

BEWARE I have seen EVERY CSI AND SPIN OFFS in EXISTENCE I could make it look like a UNICORN killed you

God only promised us a safe landing, not a smooth journey.

Success - The Ability to Survive Failure.

Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Proud mom to - Driftincowboy & Driftincowgirl

Board buddies I've Met:
Zippy14, Longingtorun,TrottinRightBehind, JrRodeoMom, iluvspots, draftiemama, hastflicka, Katy BlackJack, myoldhorse, QTime, mrs, anglenn0706(aka Abadan Arabians), PonyExpressMoon, FarRiverStar, dixiecowgirl25, Brian38, HeartFeltFarm, colspal, daisysmom, QHridingGA, Bearcat, vicklynn, goldpiper, ozland, Loranbama, JustMe, Tuckaway, CindyP, Sorrel1, mtn_penny, mtn_sheepdog, Hi-Tech Redneck, Cactus Rose, and Tazzin!

Need something to read - Try this - WWII: From A Waist Gunner's View of Stalag 17

#26 doubledee

doubledee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:55 PM

I don't know if I want Theo to know where I live. She'll be able to come and get Chico back if she does. questionicon.gif I know how I'll get those posts out!! I can wedge Theo's little horns into the ground around the post and pop them right out!! rotf.gif
Dee

#27 goldpiper

goldpiper

Cowgirl Up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

Tractor with loader and a chain

by using the loader you are pulling straight up
I met a board buddy Tuck, Wildmare, WildRose, Pstrailrider, Serendell, Skippen, DriftinMom, Vickylynn, K-N-J, RL Performance Paints, Greyhorse & Tdrietz

www.picturetrail.com/gid3664297

[br]Get your own Evelon Pet Today!

#28 Theo

Theo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

#29 Tazzin

Tazzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,016 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Cactus Rose @ Dec 17 2008, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.........a chain and somebody's tractor with a bucket.

That'd pop those out of there like a setta tweezers and chin hair..........

CR

Ayup smileywavey.gif
Posted Image

Member of B.I.R.U.

There is no value and respect for love without experiencing heartache. No bliss without despair. No prosperity without failure. No loyalty without betrayal. No faith without abandonment. No passion without suffering. - Sean Getty Lowe

I met a board buddy - JrRodeoMom, brlracr624, caseygrey, GemEllie0613, JPParadiseRanch, Quincy's Keeper, HolyJeezers, Quartermutt, Silk, SkyFireDelight, HeGotSpots, Sweet Caroline and kidlets, Kina Kat, Lynnehall, Equi-Librium, LongingToRun, TrottingRightBehind, Driftin Mom, Driftin Cowboy, Driftin Cowgirl, Hi Tech Redneck, iluvspots, CindyP, Katy BlackJack, Mrs, Buck, Andi, Mondaes Mom, Jacks Dad, Buck, mrs, KatyCox. and probably many others whose screen names I don't know ;)

Psaint VF+ - 11 year old Arabian gelding. Cassels Olympia, 16 year old Arabian mare, Khassandra BWB, 7 month old Arabian filly

#30 BethanyW

BethanyW

At Peace With My Inner Snark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hubby says if you don't have access to a tractor of any kind then you need a digging bar with a good sharp point and a lot of heavy work.

That coal smolder sound like a good idea.
Secret Society of the Snark Sisters ~ I'm the Slightly Sarcastic One

Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

Member of the 500+ Gang.

Proud Mom of Kings Poker Chic AQHA mare, Dirty Sunshine AQHA appendix mare, Saltys Charge AQHA stallion, and one grade gelding worth his weight in GOLD.