8 replies to this topic

#1 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

I've never used Quest before on my horses. I have used ComboCare tho. They both have the same ingredients in them too. I have been told about adverse reactions to the Quest dewormer while my horses have suffered no ill effects from the ComboCare. I'm looking to deworm again with Moxidectin soon on the next cycle and was going to just use Quest Plus, but I don't want to deal with any adverse reactions. Has anybody really had any bad reactions to this stuff? Is it something with the brand?
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#2 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

As with most internet myths, there is often some degree of truth behind distortion of the facts. The facts with Quest are: 1) When it was originally introduced, there was a problem with the locking mechanism on the tube, resulting in gross overdosing of ponies and foals. 2) The active ingredient moxidectin is the most powerful anthelminthic currently available, with the broadest spectrum of activity 3) Moxidectin has a narrower margin of safety than other drugs. Ivermectin for example has a 10x safety margin. Moxidectin is only about 4x.

If you've used ComboCare, then you've used Quest Plus. Its the same product. Fort Dodge sold the marketing rights to Farnam under the label of "ComboCare", so FD could continue to say their product (Quest Plus) is only available through veterinarians, while still having their chemical available for OTC use. Semantics mainly.....

The problem with Quest/Quest Plus is when its used in heavily parasitized animals, the resulting worm die-off and subsequent immune reactions can in fact be deadly. Therefore, the product should only be used in animals with known deworming histories and fecal checks that support only light parasite burdens.

All of that said, yes, there will be people out there who claim Quest is the root of all evil, just as with any product. I personally rotate Quest & Quest Plus with Equimax on my own horses and have yet to have a problem.

Edited by cvm2002, 01 January 2009 - 08:57 PM.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#3 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

That's what I was thinking. I've been told so much about the Quest product that I was curious as to whether or not it had some other ingredient in it that didn't agree with horses like an inactive ingredient or something. It's been a while since I've done a fecal, but all horses have been on a regular program with Ivermectin Gold, Strongid C and Anthelmicide. The ComboCare was used in the beginning of last year, 2008.

I was reading about parasite resistance and was actually thinking of adding Quest Plus into the cycle and dropping the Strongid C and Anthelmicide.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#4 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

I love Quest and Quest Plus. When dosed correctly, Its the most effective dewormer on the market. I have never had a problem and always just eworm new horses with sometihing else first, wait and then use quest to clean them out well.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#5 dressagechamp

dressagechamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

I don't use Quest anymore, but I used to and have never had a problem :)

Proud mommy to,
Bradley: 12 year old/TB 3rd level dressage horse
Max: 15 year old/Holstiner PSG dressage horse

#6 MyDaddysJag

MyDaddysJag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

I am part of the anti quest club. A couple years ago a mare at my barn died due to quest. This horse had been rotationally dewormed with ivermectin and safeguard every 8 weeks and had been for years (she was 20 when she died, and had been there since she was 3)
After being dosed with quest the horse died within 72 hours. The quest rapidly killed off all parasites in the horse (she was a notorious manure eater, and even on a deworming program she would get worms back quicker than any other horse)
Anyway, because the quest rapidly killed all of the worms, she had bleeding in her stomach, which caused a blood clot and killed her.
Also, Quest is not safe for use in minis, so I wont allow it anywhere near my horses, since I do have 1 mini. It only takes 1 person thinking their doing good to give a horse the wrong wormer and its dead.
I'm sure it works fine for a lot of people, I just prefer doing rotational deworming and 5day purge worming to be safe. The mare who died was healthy, and ridden and still shown at 4H and open shows.

#7 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

I'm a huge fan of Quest and Quest Plus. I've been using it since it was available and I've never had a problem. I only use it on horses 1 year of age and older, though. I do not give it to miniatures.

#8 cowgurl_up

cowgurl_up

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (corrupt_corpse666 @ Jan 2 2009, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am part of the anti quest club. A couple years ago a mare at my barn died due to quest. This horse had been rotationally dewormed with ivermectin and safeguard every 8 weeks and had been for years (she was 20 when she died, and had been there since she was 3)
After being dosed with quest the horse died within 72 hours. The quest rapidly killed off all parasites in the horse (she was a notorious manure eater, and even on a deworming program she would get worms back quicker than any other horse)
Anyway, because the quest rapidly killed all of the worms, she had bleeding in her stomach, which caused a blood clot and killed her.
Also, Quest is not safe for use in minis, so I wont allow it anywhere near my horses, since I do have 1 mini. It only takes 1 person thinking their doing good to give a horse the wrong wormer and its dead.
I'm sure it works fine for a lot of people, I just prefer doing rotational deworming and 5day purge worming to be safe. The mare who died was healthy, and ridden and still shown at 4H and open shows.

Sounds like this mare should have been on a worming schedule that was different than the other horses, if she ate manure and got worms quicker than the others.

Gunner had a fecal done a few months ago due to a tail itching problem, vet called back, no worms but he mentioned that tapeworms do not show up on the fecal and suggested I deworm him with Quest Plus, I was super nervous but read the instructions and carefully weighted him and gave him enough paste for 900#, I had never really adjusted it to him just gave him the whole tube (was never taught any better, and I now realize how big of an idiot I was!!) anywho... he survived! :D

quarterflash's official minion. and bumper's too ; the true eski

Melanie and the boys:
Gunner; 1996 qh/arab gelding, retired pasture puff
"Take a Divine Chance" - Glenn; 2005 reg. QH gelding, my up and comer...

#9 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

I also use Quest, except for foals.
Quest is the only dewormer at the moment that is effective against the encysted forms of the small bloodsworms, now regarded as being one of the most harmful forms of the parasites
According to a veterinary presentation, the encysted forms have adjusted to the climates a horse lives in, emerging in mass when conditions are most favorable for their survival-thus there is a sudden dump of a large population of parasites that have evaded the other forms of dewormers while encysted.
As for the mare that died after deworming with Quest-she died not because of any active ingredients in Quest, but rather because the mare was heavily parasitized and Quest had great efficacy. I would question that a horse carrying a heavy worm burden is truly healthy.
Both her deworming program and immune status was probably faulty.
Raising attractive , athletic Appaloosas, equally at home in the show ring and on the open trails
Cody Chrome Supreme member of the breed( superiors in trail,halter western pleasure hunter under saddle )
San Stone Image superiors in reining, western riding and trail
Miss Kilo Bright ApHC championship ROMs western pl, trail, HUS , hunter in hand, halter
A New Dimension three year old filly presently working with
Awarded With love 6 year old mare by Awarded, riding well and proven producer
Frankie hubby's senior trail horse
Rubix Hubby's jr trail horse
Dont Skip The Cadence by don't Skip This chip-three year old in training Sold
Mex , Dun Boy and Image, three yr old prospects

http://s335.photobuc...home/KiloBright