31 replies to this topic

#1 turninnburninonjay

turninnburninonjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

Ok, I am the forever worry wart over my horses but....
My gelding seems to always have really bad gas! It has gotten so bad in the last 2 months that when I went on vacation the BO of the boarding stable called me to tell me she thought he was starting to colic. He does this all the time! He will eat his grain, barely touch his hay, drink a little water and then he will bite at his sides, lay down and roll and then get up all the while passing gas... This usually goes on for several hours and then he will stop biting his sides and rolling but he acts like he really doesn't feel to good. When he rolls he usually passes A LOT of gas. His stool is normal.
He gets 1 scoop of Safe Choice 2x a day and free choice good quality grass hay. Sometimes stalled at night if it is really cold but he is turned out every morning and stays out all day long.

I did a little research and the only thing I could find really was that sometimes horses get gas colic from not drinking enough water due to sudden temp changes.

Ok, so maybe I should add some eloctolytes to his water to get him to drink more?
But, would this be happening EVERY day? I've had him for 4 months and he's always been this way since I got him. I'm worried that one day it will turn into a bad colic and I won't even recogonize it because he is like this all the time.

Could it be an ulcer or something?
I have had him on Probios digestive support for about a month and haven't noticed any difference at all. I plan to keep him on it just because it is good for him, but is there anything else I can do besides taking him to the vet literally everytime he farts, lol?
Any suggestions?

Edited by turninnburninonjay, 02 January 2009 - 11:29 PM.

2002 AQHA sorrel mare, Athena Majesty Five
AKA: Cherry

2008 APHA sorrel overo gelding, Ima Impressive Chance
AKA: Pretty Boy, Chance

#2 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

Has he been dewormed for tapeworms?

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#3 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

Sometimes adding a tablespoon of loose iodized salt daily to his feed will encourage him to drink more.
Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#4 spotz58

spotz58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:47 AM

What cvm said! This pattern is specific to tapeworms.

Of course, 30 or 40 years ago this was blamed on bots. rolleye0014.gif

But in the past 3 years I've had 2 horses with those symptoms that promptly improved when treated for tapeworms.

#5 turninnburninonjay

turninnburninonjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

I have de-wormed him 2 times since I use a very good dewormer that my vet has made. I wonder if it does not cover tapeworms though? I will check with my vet and see, he is due again this week anyway.
I guess I always thought of tapeworms as making an animal skinny and Jay is not skinny at all. He is very healthy looking with very good weight, shiny coat, and bright eyes.
Thanks and if there are anymore suggestions please keep them coming.... smileywavey.gif

#6 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

The wormer that your going to want to use for tapeworms is Equimax. This is the only commercial wormer out there specificly designed for tapeworms (at least to my knowlage.). Here is the link Equimax Has a lot of good info on there too.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#7 Coppers mom

Coppers mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

Ugh, don't use probios. They are such crap. Don't do anything at all. If you're going to have a digestive supplement, I would use Ultra-Elite Digest.

If you add electrolytes or salt, add it to his feed. If his water smells or tastes funny, he may drink even less.

Can I ask why you're feeding Safe Choice? Does he need the low-starch diet? Safe choice also has corn in it. Corn is more difficult to digest and more suseptible to mold. You may want to try another type of feed from Nutrena, like Smart Lite, if he's having trouble digesting it. I haven't found Nutrena to be very high quality in general though, so you could try switching to another similar feed from a different brand.

I would have the vet come and do a full checkup on him to check for tapeworms and anything else that could be bothering him. You could also call the former owner and ask if he did this before. If he did, ask how they managed it, if not, think about switching your feed or hay over to what they were using.

#8 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (DiluteMe @ Jan 3 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The wormer that your going to want to use for tapeworms is Equimax. This is the only commercial wormer out there specificly designed for tapeworms (at least to my knowlage.). Here is the link Equimax Has a lot of good info on there too.

There's at least 3 with Praziquantel in the US. Equimax and Zimecterin Gold are a combination of Ivermectin and Praziquantel (I prefer Equimax. Zim Gold can cause reactions due to the delivering agent). Quest Plus is a moxidectin and praziquantel combination.

#9 DiluteMe

DiluteMe

Serious, alluring, and sly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Hibiscus @ Jan 3 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's at least 3 with Praziquantel in the US. Equimax and Zimecterin Gold are a combination of Ivermectin and Praziquantel (I prefer Equimax. Zim Gold can cause reactions due to the delivering agent). Quest Plus is a moxidectin and praziquantel combination.

Opps, yeah duh forgot about those... Just like you though I prefere Equimax. I'm scared of Quest products.. and Zim is ok, just don't use it a lot.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet.... That was how World War II started you know."

"Hold Nothing.
If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
If you meet your Father, kill your Father.
Free of Everything, you are bound by Nothing.
Live the Life that is Given to you."

#10 turninnburninonjay

turninnburninonjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

I bought some Zimectrin Gold for him today...
I like Safe Choice or Patriot, I have never had any issues with them and all of my horses have done good on them in the past. I talked to my vet about it before I started feeding it and he said it was fine for my horses. I dunno?
His last owner is a lying, stealing @#$% so I don't trust her to tell me the truth about anything...
Although she said she fed him either Safe Choice or Patriot and grass hay too... The only thing I did change when I got him is that I don't feed him alfalfa like she did. She lied about everything except when she said he was sweet, loving and loved to roll... So there is no telling what she really was feeding him.. She asked me what I fed my horses and when I told her, she said oh yeah that's what she fed too plus alfalfa.
He looked awful (dull coated and skinny) when I got him and he looks a LOT better and healthier now. He has gained weight and is shiny coated now.

#11 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

If the horse you are talking about is the one in the picture in your signature....I like him. I think he looks good.
Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#12 cowgurl_up

cowgurl_up

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

You know. I see you posting everywhere etc. And I've seen you siggy pic almost everyday since you put it there. and I really wanted to say.

Jay is GORGEOUS. lol, I really would love to see more pictures of him! :]

quarterflash's official minion. and bumper's too ; the true eski

Melanie and the boys:
Gunner; 1996 qh/arab gelding, retired pasture puff
"Take a Divine Chance" - Glenn; 2005 reg. QH gelding, my up and comer...

#13 journeysgirl

journeysgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,767 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

Zimectrin Gold has less Ivermec in it then Equimax.

1c958838-4475-4695-b61d-b8ec73e28191_zps

If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you to.
The winds of heaven blow between my horses ears (Arab proverb)
Everyday you are unhappy is a whole day wasted not being happy.
Eff em and feed em fishheads!

Member of the "I met a board buddy club" : MarsCandyBar, Apps4life, Appyluver, Snowyhorse, Greenhaven

#14 turninnburninonjay

turninnburninonjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Mudder, Thanks and yep it's Jay that always has the gas, lol... He looks good to me too, lol. I think he is doing well on his feed, he has always had the gas, from the day he was unloaded off the trailer lol...

Cowgurl Up, Thanks so much, I think so too but I am VERY biased, lol... I just took a couple pics of him a day or two back so I was thinking I would start a thread of just pics of him, Cherry and Bebe. Hmmm, maybe I will do that today, it's too cold to do anything outside anyway.

I gave him the Zim Gold last night so I will let you all know if it helps.

smileywavey.gif

#15 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Coppers mom @ Jan 3 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ugh, don't use probios. They are such crap.

State your source, please.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

Founding member of GOATS: Guardian Of All Things Stray!

Jasper's #1 Fan!

Visit My Website, Harvest Kennels, Field Bred Springer Spaniels

#16 Silk

Silk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

I hope you can find out what's causing the bad gas. Has the vet ever done a tubing? My older mare colicked, and he didn't just use mineral oil, but also mylanta and pepto bismol, mainly because there was no actual cause to the colic that he could find, so he thought maybe gas. Jay is GORGEOUS by the way!!!
----------------------------------
My herd:
Rayvn: 7 yr old black arab gelding; Street Legacy: 7 yr old bay arab gelding; Khnotty Girl: 7 yr old chestnut Arab mare owned by my mom; Tammie: 17 yr old chestnut half-arab mare owned by my husband; Vash: 5 yr old black lab mix; Parker: 10 yr old aussie shepard mix, Naya & Iyani: 4 yr old malamute mixes; Mystery & Honey: 2 yr old german shepard mixes; Vela & Misha: the kitties 5 & 8

Rest In Peace:
Red: 20 yr old sorrel QH gelding
Silk: 16 yr old grey arab gelding
Beauty: 24 yr old bay arab mare
Savannah: 20 yr old bay arab mare

#17 turninnburninonjay

turninnburninonjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, I love him to death!!

No, he's only been to the vet one time to get all his shots and a overall checkup and Doc said he was healthy and good to go...
I haven't taken him for the gas because it always seems to go away before I feel like he is really trying to colic, he just seems a little uncomfortable with well... gas. He will bite at his sides but he usually does that at night or early in the morning after he eats.
I gave him the Zim Gold last night so I can't believe I'm going to say this but... I'm really excited to check his poop to see if any worms are in it, lmao. rotf.gif

What is wrong with Probios? My vet told me they were great to give especially after a severe de-worming like Zim Gold... I give Jay the Probios cookies for digestion support. He loves the peppermint flavor anyway so I figure it can't hurt him, right? lol...

#18 dgRuffian

dgRuffian

Ruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

How often are you feeding him? He may need to be fed small amounts of feed several times a day. A sudden load of feed on an empty stomach can cause this.
While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth......George Bernard Shaw

‎I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

“We all love animals, but why do we call some of them pets and some of them dinner?”

#19 Coppers mom

Coppers mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Bumper @ Jan 4 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

State your source, please.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

No scientific source, just a barn full of horses that prove it. We first used Forco, and all the horses were fat and shiny. We then switched to Probios because they were what a closer tack store had. Horses started needing more food, coats weren't as shiny, and my older gelding started colicing (something he hadn't done in the 3 years he was on Forco) again when the weather changed dramatically. We went back to Forco, and everyone was back to normal.

I think the only reason they're so popular is because the name implies that they do something, when really, they don't. You just have to compare them to other digestive aids out there to see that the ingredients are inferior.

#20 turninnburninonjay

turninnburninonjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (dgRuffian @ Jan 4 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How often are you feeding him? He may need to be fed small amounts of feed several times a day. A sudden load of feed on an empty stomach can cause this.

I feed all horses grain in the morning and again at night... They all have free choice hay all the time so they never have an empty stomach.
:)

#21 LadyBug7

LadyBug7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:49 PM

My previous horse has loose poop sometimes so I used probiotics it really helped him. A good deworming program could help, it already sounds like you are doing everything you can. I'm not sure if this would help but I sometimes add electrolites in my horse's food, especially when I work him out hard. The barn where I moved him he didn't drink as much as he should of. The water over there has more iron in it then he was used too. I added the electrolites to his food and he drank more and seemed pverall better. I got good results when I used Nutrena SafeChoice, I believe it was called. I have switched to a Southern States feed though. I find it odd that the previous owner always said he rolled, that sounds like a nice way of hiding something. For me it sounds like colic, but I believe you said it wasn't. How many times do you feed him in a day? You have already gotten some great advice, but smaller meals may help.
Savannah Rain. 17 year old Paint mare.

People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.

If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.

For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway."
— Mother Teresa

#22 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

Yup, carb overload.

Carbs are digested in the small intestine. When enzymatic capacity has been reached the excess is sent on to the large bowel, where it is rapidly fermented creating a proliferation of Lactobacilli, which in turn ferments into Lactic Acid. Lactic Acid is poorly absorbed, so it accumulates, over powering the buffering mechanism of the cecum and colon. In other words...lowers the pH. The horse's hind gut is steady at 6.4-6.7. 6 is acidosis and below 6 brings diarrhea, proliferation of bad bacteria and lysis increasing risk of endotoxemia and laminitis.

I think you are getting some very important warning signs with this feed. Me? I would quit it promptly, and just see how he does without it. If you feel he needs more, read those labels and make low starch and sugar a priority.

As per Dr. Kellon at Davis: a horse eating 2 grain meals/day will produce an IR horse. (wow)

I also agree that he is gorgeous! (I always was a sucker for the black ones!)

Hope this helps! rolleye0014.gif

#23 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Coppers mom @ Jan 4 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No scientific source, just a barn full of horses that prove it. We first used Forco, and all the horses were fat and shiny. We then switched to Probios because they were what a closer tack store had. Horses started needing more food, coats weren't as shiny, and my older gelding started colicing (something he hadn't done in the 3 years he was on Forco) again when the weather changed dramatically. We went back to Forco, and everyone was back to normal.

I think the only reason they're so popular is because the name implies that they do something, when really, they don't. You just have to compare them to other digestive aids out there to see that the ingredients are inferior.

I'd have to see a documented veterinary study to believe any of that.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER
Founding member of GOATS: Guardian Of All Things Stray!

Jasper's #1 Fan!

Visit My Website, Harvest Kennels, Field Bred Springer Spaniels

#24 spotz58

spotz58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

Forco has probiotics and yeast among other things, so comparing it's effect to Probios, which is only probiotics, is a bit skewed.

#25 turninnburninonjay

turninnburninonjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

Well, last night Jay had a little more gas than normal and what I guess would be called a mild colic. He wouldn't eat anything and was definately hurting, he layed down and although he never thrashed or anything like that I totally freaked... He has never refused to eat like that so I gave him a shot a Banimine and called my friend who is a vet tech and she said to just watch him close and if he he gets better then to just bring him in to the vet first thing this morning. He seemed to get a little better after the shot so I waited till this morning to take him to the vet... He looked great this morning acted like he was starving when I offered him some hay, lol and ate his hay really good... I took him into the vet and they went ahead and tubed him because he did have gas in his stomach but we are suspecting he might be having sand colic issues. I was completely surprised that the Dr didn't give him any psyllium or do any x-rays but instead tubed him... He pooped in the trailer on the way to the vet. Why would he tube him if he's probably not impacted? His belly sounds very very good, in fact they were so loud you could hear them just standing next to him. He was passing gas like always.
Did I tell you I gave him a new nickname?
Spleen, lol...

Dr did suggest giving him a purge type psyllium product but I'm wondering why HE didn't do any x-rays or give him some? Any ideas? I live in a part of Texas that doesn't have much sand, but this horse came from south Florida.

#26 Silk

Silk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

I know my vet as standard colic procedure tubes as long as he thinks there is no full blockage. My mare had gas colic, but she got tubed. Nice expensive bill. Did the vet do a sand check in his manure? Did they do a worm check? (not saying he has worms, but it's usually a typical thing to check in recurrent colic) My vet also checked for "sand" sounds in the gut - did the vet make any indication on that? This is just from my experience of my mare colicking, every horse & vet is different.

I'd also be wondering about an enterolith? I don't know if there are specific symptoms related to enteroliths beyond normal colic symptoms? Did your vet talk about a good probiotic, or changing his feed to something that produces less gas in the gut, or give any other possibilities?
----------------------------------
My herd:
Rayvn: 7 yr old black arab gelding; Street Legacy: 7 yr old bay arab gelding; Khnotty Girl: 7 yr old chestnut Arab mare owned by my mom; Tammie: 17 yr old chestnut half-arab mare owned by my husband; Vash: 5 yr old black lab mix; Parker: 10 yr old aussie shepard mix, Naya & Iyani: 4 yr old malamute mixes; Mystery & Honey: 2 yr old german shepard mixes; Vela & Misha: the kitties 5 & 8

Rest In Peace:
Red: 20 yr old sorrel QH gelding
Silk: 16 yr old grey arab gelding
Beauty: 24 yr old bay arab mare
Savannah: 20 yr old bay arab mare

#27 bruce111

bruce111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

Turninnburninonj first you have a very good looking horse there. all these comments are good but I have a very simple one for you to try. that wasn't mentioned Try just changing his feed completely. I have had horses over the years that can't take the protein or iron or what ever and they will have gas or loose stools ect. I start by giving them a different hay an it works on about 8 out of 10 just a thought from some one that likes to keep it simple.
"Sit tall in the saddle; Hold your head up high
Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky
And live like you ain't afraid to die
And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride"

#28 Blazn

Blazn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

An enterolith is a possibility - esp with alfalfa in his diet before.
I have an alibi!

#29 turninnburninonjay

turninnburninonjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, I'm kind'a worried about that too.. I was really surprised the vet didn't want to do an x-ray especially since sand as well as an enterolith will show up in an x-ray.
I have him on psyllium now and he is finally eating it good so I'm going to leave him on it for another 5.5 days because he just started eating it well night before last. I'm not sure how much of it he got before that because he'd just pick through and get as much of his grain out and then leave the rest and go straight to his hay.
He is on good quality coastal grass hay.
I'm looking into a new feed for him. Something with less sugar at the very least.
:)

#30 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

Unless you are working him extremely hard every day, you only need a 10% protein feed.

I would switch him to something with only 10% protein and see how he does. I had a racehorse who could not take even 12% protein without getting colicy and gassy. We put him on 10% and fed him 3 small meals a day and his issues cleared up.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.