• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 baylee

baylee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

A friend of mine puts lyme (sp?) down in her stalls after she cleans them, then puts shavings on top of it.... is the lyme bad for the horses' feet?
My Boys:
Cash Sierra Classic 'Lil Man' - '93 AQHA gelding
Smart Kit 'Hef' - '04 AQHA gelding

Weed Patrol (pygmy goats):
Buddy, Bucky, Buttercup, Bella, Baya, Curly, and Boomer

Keeper of the goats (dog patrol):
Muffin- 6 yr old mini donkey

Dogs:
Joker- 10 yr old boxer
Denali- 2 yr old boxer
Teal - 3 yr old lab
Chico- 3 yr old chihuahua
Smoki- hes a cat, but thinks hes a dog...

#2 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,130 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:24 AM

No, it's not bad at all. I've done it for years. Lime dries the floor and kills the odors. As long as there is bedding so the horses don't have to stand right on it, or lie down on it, it's fine.

BOARD BUDDY CLUB MEMBER I have met 33 board buddies!
MEMBER OF OZLAND SURVIVORS
MEMBER OF THE TURD POSSE - MSTRBKBHRWNS

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

http://www.allbreedp....com/hankie doc

PrettyRosie-1.jpgChiefforsiggy-1-1-2.jpgIMG_0194cropped-1.jpg
Rosie....................Chief...........................Jedi
Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

R.I.P. Snow Chief, August 25, 1980 - April 16, 2009
You were the best trail horse ever.

Old dogs and children, and watermelon wine...

#3 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

Ok my question there is how much does it cost? and how much do you put on the floors, and well the general stuff you would tell someone who has never used it themselves

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#4 baylee

baylee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:35 AM

thanks! i was just wondering because some of their horses are ending up tender footed on the gravel....well i told them it was most likely because they NEVER CLEAN THEIR STALLS! the horses are standing in their waste all day, every day..and getting thrush and im sure thats why they are so tender. But they are blaming the lyme..saying its burning the bottom of their feet and making them sore. Is this at all possible?????

kittenkat- i know you can get it at tractor supply and some feed stores, its just a white powder you sprinkle on the floor of the stall after digging it out and then put bedding on top of it. Im not sure about the whole procedure, i just watched my friend do it a few times.
My Boys:
Cash Sierra Classic 'Lil Man' - '93 AQHA gelding
Smart Kit 'Hef' - '04 AQHA gelding

Weed Patrol (pygmy goats):
Buddy, Bucky, Buttercup, Bella, Baya, Curly, and Boomer

Keeper of the goats (dog patrol):
Muffin- 6 yr old mini donkey

Dogs:
Joker- 10 yr old boxer
Denali- 2 yr old boxer
Teal - 3 yr old lab
Chico- 3 yr old chihuahua
Smoki- hes a cat, but thinks hes a dog...

#5 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

When I used to buy lime, it was relatively cheap. I think it was about $5 per 50lb bag. We had a flour sifter that used to cover the whole floor in a fine powder. Then you cover with shavings or leave it bare depending on whether or not you put a horse in.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#6 spotz58

spotz58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

I'm paying $5.49 a 50 pound bag. I use it on the pee spot, dusted on and well-covered with bedding. If a stall is going to be left empty for a bit I dust the whole floor. It helps keep the smells at bay - neutralizes the ammonia in urine, I think. I also use it on the feed room floor once a week to help with the darn barn cat pee smell, gggrrrrr! I know it can burn skin and if you let it sit on your leather boots it'll dry them out and make them crack before you know it. I suppose it could damage hooves, but honestly I would suspect dirty stalls before lime under bedding.

#7 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,130 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

I'm not aware that it can burn skin, but I suppose it's possible. As for the horses' hooves, as long as there is bedding over the lime, there shouldn't be any danger of that. I sprinkle it on till there is a thin white dusting. You don't have to put it on thick at all.

Lime is nothing but crushed limestone. Don't confuse it with lye. Now that can burn skin!

I buy the coarse kind, not the powdered. The powdered kind drifts in the air and is dusty.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#8 noip1963

noip1963

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:30 AM

I use the lyme in the goats stalls to control odors.

And the same as everyone else, just put a dusting on the floor.

I didn't know there was a course kind.
I've always bought the powder form.
I'll have to look for the other now.

#9 equi-librium

equi-librium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

lyme is excellent, but always make sure to have plenty of bedding to cover it...

if ya have a cut or scrape and ya get lime on it numerous times daily, the cut doesnt seem to heal.. trust me, i know.. i work at a BIG dairy and we use 600#s of lime on any given day.. and i always make sure to wear gloves because i had one SMALL cut on my hand that turned into a big mess due to the lyme back when i first started there. a couple of the other people also have said the same thing...

wear gloves, and your fine.. confused0024.gif
HC BB's: magicgold, redneckcowgirlmn, spanish_walkin_wannabe, CJF Farrier, Wild Rose, Sundowner Lady, Duns Of Impact, Pepsidog, MareKrazed, The Shamrock Stalker/ROK, DunOvero, ruckandride, RailRoad Woman, Peppers Dad, Stars_Morab, Pelirrojaloca, Tazzin, MRS & imabarrelracer!

#10 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:54 AM

Would you recomend it on a turn out part of the stall that had previously been 8 inches deep in soft icky manuer.. and if you cant cover it in the outside stall how owuld you deal with that?? Danny has an indoor outdoor stall, and I just removed a LOT of crap and such from teh outside protion and it still has some of the wetter stuff cause it has been wet here.. but i do have it down to packed earth again! Can I put it down for him on the outside, or do I need to cover it with sawdust or something.. I plan to use it on the few wet spots he gets in his stall.. Can I put a thicker layer under the stall mats when I do a deep clean and then replace the stall mats over it??

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#11 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,130 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:09 AM

I can get a 50 lb bag for around $5. It goes a long way. No, you don't need a deep coating of it. At least not in the stalls. Outside, I don't know if you need it covered with bedding.

I used it one year on my pasture in the spring before the grass came in. There is an area near my fence in front where the horses poop all the time. They don't eat the grass that grows there, then. So, I covered that whole area with like 2 bags of lime. When the grass grew in, the horses ate it. It did something to the soil, so that the grass was more palatable.

You can use it under stall mats. There shouldn't be any problem with that. I wouldn't think you'd need to put it down really thick. Just covering all the ground would be fine. You don't need it inches thick or anything.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#12 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

The floors in all my stalls are 6 inches of compacted aglime, which is just finely crushed gray limestone. It costs me about $80 for a 10 ton dumptruck full. It's the same stuff we use around here to spread on fields to help with the acidity of the soil. THEN, you have what is called Quicklime, which you would NOT want to use, as it is very caustic. Lime is fine, as long as you know your product and use the correct one.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#13 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

Ok so that said, WHAT should I look for?? any specific product name or warnings labels I should look for??

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#14 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,130 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

The stuff I get says "Dairy Barn Lime" on it. Just mention that you want it for horse stalls. Most feed places will know.

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

#15 cowgurl_up

cowgurl_up

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

baylee: I highly doubt it's from the dirty stalls, -not proud of this- but our horses are in stalls that get cleaned once a week [well 4 do, Gunner gets fresh bedding partway through the week, and his stall is cleaned 2-3 times a week in the summer, but in the winter it's impossible because of all the snow and the location of the manure pile]

none of our horses are sore on gravel etc...

quarterflash's official minion. and bumper's too ; the true eski

Melanie and the boys:
Gunner; 1996 qh/arab gelding, retired pasture puff
"Take a Divine Chance" - Glenn; 2005 reg. QH gelding, my up and comer...