8 replies to this topic

#1 interested

interested

no longer a newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

It appears my mare has an ulcer. While we didn't have a vet scope her stomach for an ulcer, she has signs and symptoms that were either an ulcer or lyme. Primarily a change in her attitude and increased sensitivity.
We had her out to test for lyme. The results were a very low positive (1:1280), which the vet considered it low enough to be a negative result. Here in CT, the birthplace of lyme, the vet has a lot of experience dealing with the disease in horses.
She felt the issue was more likely an ulcer and put her on rinitidine for two weeks, and our mare is showing a better attitude and less sensitivity to touch. Before trying the expense of gastro gard.
back to the purpose of my post.
Is there any real difference to ulcer gard and gastro gard? When looking at the labels they appear to be the same, 2.28 grams per tube and made by the same company. One requires a vet prescription and the other does not. So what is the difference and do I really need a prescription to treat her for ulcers?

Lack of knowledge is not stupid and not ignorant, refusing to ask a question because of what someone else might think, Who cares what they think? If you don't know, ask anyway

I'm an ornery ole cuss, and I've been around long enough that it doesn't matter what they think, h*ll there is plenty they don't know either

nice thing about alzheimers, you don't remember when somebody is ticked at you

#2 petesdad

petesdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

We have just finished treating a stallion with GastroGard (6 days) and have seen a marked improvement in his attitude and appetite. In our case the vet prescribed GastroGard more or less just based on his lack of appetite and lathargic attitude. Not exactly standard for a 10yo Paso fino stallion. Vet sold us the GastroGard for less than we could find UlcerGard for online. It appears they are the same except for dosing.

"Merial, the makers of GastroGard, have now formulated a non-prescription form of the drug omeprazole (1mg/kg dose label) called UlcerGard. Non-prescription medications are not subjected to the same stringent research and quality control procedures as prescription formulations, which is why the non-prescription form can be marketed at a significantly lower cost. "- from equinepi.com

although as stated in our case GastroGard was cheaper, thankfully.

"There is nothing quite so good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse"-Dutch

#3 Silk

Silk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

I think the main difference is the amount per dose. Gastroguard is the whole tube, ulcerguard is a 1/3 tube. Other than that, I haven't noticed a difference either. One thing I like about ranitidine, it can help heal ulcers in the intestines, I don't know about gastro/ulcerguard. Talk to your vet, if he/she is looking out for the best interests of the horse, he/she will be happy to tell you the difference and give you cost options.
----------------------------------
My herd:
Rayvn: 7 yr old black arab gelding; Street Legacy: 7 yr old bay arab gelding; Khnotty Girl: 7 yr old chestnut Arab mare owned by my mom; Tammie: 17 yr old chestnut half-arab mare owned by my husband; Vash: 5 yr old black lab mix; Parker: 10 yr old aussie shepard mix, Naya & Iyani: 4 yr old malamute mixes; Mystery & Honey: 2 yr old german shepard mixes; Vela & Misha: the kitties 5 & 8

Rest In Peace:
Red: 20 yr old sorrel QH gelding
Silk: 16 yr old grey arab gelding
Beauty: 24 yr old bay arab mare
Savannah: 20 yr old bay arab mare

#4 6Horses

6Horses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

Identical except as was said the treatment dose a full tube for curative and 1/4 tube for maintence. The reason for the script is about FDA and the studies and approvals at that dosage. UG is usually a bit more expensive than GG so if you feel you have to get GG then ask your vet for a script. Most have no problem with that especially if they've seen the horse recently.

Omezaprole is the active ingredient and the only one proven to be curative to an ulcer. The others knock it down at best but don't solve the problem as they work on different principals. Omezaprole only has to be given once a day and it sure beats giving the others 4-6 times daily.

It costs about $800 for a curative round of gastrogard which is absurd to me. I get generic (non script) Omezaprole in 700 mg tabs and it costs roughly less than a quarter of that and is just as easy to give. If you want the link to it you can PM me for it because I'm not sure about the rules here if that is allowed or not.

Edited by 6Horses, 18 January 2009 - 01:41 PM.

#5 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

I had a horse, who was not scoped, but was stretching out, not eating, etc. I used the GG from the vet and the change in a few days was amazing. You can start with that and see what happens?
If you say nothing to a horse, you mean nothing to a horse.-Robert Dover
Proud owner of:
"This Charming Man"-Winston: 20 year old, bay, Appendix QH, Semi-retired, but still working and being rotten:-) The boss man!
"Bend it Like Beckham"-Beckham: 7 year old, black, Perch/TB. Showing Second Level and schooling Third.
"Grand Temptress Shelby-Shelby: 15 year old, bay, Oldenburg. Second and Third Level.

"You will never get to Grand Prix waving a carrot stick at a Warmblood."

#6 sandslicorice

sandslicorice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

I had a horse, who was not scoped, but was stretching out, not eating, etc. I used the GG from the vet and the change in a few days was amazing. You can start with that and see what happens?

I found a new product that works great and is very inexpensive. GastroMax 3 works just as well.

#7 Diya22

Diya22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

Horse health that should be considered when giving it medication. One should be careful in handling drugs that may have adverse effects when ingested by humans. Another technique in horse medication is to crush the pill into powder and placing it directly on the horse's tongue. Airborne particles that might be inhaled while preparing the powder may be harmful

gastrogard dosage

#8 oneforhealth

oneforhealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

It appears my mare has an ulcer. While we didn't have a vet scope her stomach for an ulcer, she has signs and symptoms that were either an ulcer or lyme. Primarily a change in her attitude and increased sensitivity.
We had her out to test for lyme. The results were a very low positive (1:1280), which the vet considered it low enough to be a negative result. Here in CT, the birthplace of lyme, the vet has a lot of experience dealing with the disease in horses.
She felt the issue was more likely an ulcer and put her on rinitidine for two weeks, and our mare is showing a better attitude and less sensitivity to touch. Before trying the expense of gastro gard.
back to the purpose of my post.
Is there any real difference to ulcer gard and gastro gard? When looking at the labels they appear to be the same, 2.28 grams per tube and made by the same company. One requires a vet prescription and the other does not. So what is the difference and do I really need a prescription to treat her for ulcers?

#9 oneforhealth

oneforhealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Forget ulcer gard and gastro gard. Please try Beauequine Feed Supplement, much cheaper alternative and 100% natural and packed full of vitamins, minerals and Omegas 3, 6, 7 & 9 naturally. It works!!!!!!!!!