7 replies to this topic

#1 ruckandride

ruckandride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

So, I'm in the market for a western saddle. I would like a used barrel racing or ranch/roper saddle although I'm not entirely picky. I have been looking at Billy Cook Maker saddles (the ones out of Sulphur) but I am not entirely sure that I will be able to afford one by the time I need/want one. I was also looking at custom saddles made by a company called Triple Creek, but that is obviously out of my budget (or I would assume it was). So my question is what is the best used saddle I can get for my money? I want an all leather saddle that is a quality saddle and will last me a looong time. Is that too much to ask for?
krista {}-{}

~here is one little girl that would rather clean a stall than her own room~

#2 RockyRoad

RockyRoad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

what kind of price range are you looking for? Triple Creeks are not badly priced for a new custom saddle. I know of one handmade ranch style saddle for sale (15" seat I believe) that is handmade by Bud Sankey & in new shape. PM me if you want info on it & I can get it for you.
Five Star, Animal Elements, Nettles Handmade Stirrups, Impact Gel & Pro Orthopedic dealer - best prices out there for board buddies!

#3 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

Depends on the price range you are looking for? I shopped ebay for a few months wanting to get either a used circle y or tex tan flex tree. Got a barely used one for less than 1/2 of what the local tack store was asking for a similar model and I totally love my new saddle.
Board buddies I've met: Doublelhorses, Trail-Rider, DeLucky2, blaze1, HorseLuvrinIL

#4 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

Used Circle Y. That's what I recommend.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#5 goatmom

goatmom

Are we done yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

Bud is not too far from me. He has some nice saddles. Most are $650 and up. You won't go wrong with one of his.

#6 ruckandride

ruckandride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I'm gonna keep my eyes on ebay and hopefully I'll find something I like, but if anyone has any more suggestions let me know!
krista {}-{}

#7 RollingThunder

RollingThunder

Backyard Horseman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

It depends on a couple of things here.

No. 1, what amount of riding you do. Gentle riding on a saddle, most saddles will last a fair long while, unless horrendously made from the start. If you're a serious rider who does a large amount of riding, you're going to want a saddle that is built durably, and that rules out a great many of those ebay specials.

No. 2, modern saddles, (custom saddles included), I have found, are worth what you pay for them. Don't pay much, you don't get much. Pay an arm and a leg, and you get good quality. From the latigos in, you'll get a saddle that with the proper care, your grandchildren can ride hard and not have an issue with.

I was on the phone a while back with Jerry Shaw and had a great chat with him. He made a comment about the fact that he bought a custom-made saddle from an older gentleman somewhere near 35-40 years ago, and that saddle rode as well today as it did back then. And when he bought the saddle from this gentleman, it was already an antique and was built somewhere around the turn of the century.

So bear in mind, you do usually get what you pay for. The old saying goes, you pay for a good saddle once, but you pay for a bad saddle every time you ride it.

Here's some things to look for.
Is the leather uniform in color and relatively free of blemishes?
Is the sheepskin real, or fake? (Real is, obviously, much better for a variety of reasons)
Is the stitching on the saddle closer together? Close stitching (preferable 7 stitches per inch) is a mark of a finer saddle. It takes more thread to do that.
Look underneath the jockeys, at the tree. Is it a rawhide covered tree? Or bullhide? Or fiberglass?
Is the saddle nailed together or screwed?
Can you smell good leather, or does the leather have an odd "taint" to it (imported, cheap saddle leather is often tanned with urine)?
And then, of course, there is the all important issue of saddle fit. Does it fit the horse, and does it fit your fanny, and your body in general?

I'm sure someone else will be along to add to this list, so I'll leave it there.

BTW, out of a matter of personal dislike for the man's business practices, I'll never throw a leg over another Billy Cook saddle so long as I live.

And for those of you who don't know Jerry Shaw, go visit jshawsaddles.com - the man is an artist in leather and saddle design.
Bás Saor Roimh Shaol Daor - Illegitimus Non Carborundum

#8 ruckandride

ruckandride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

Thunder- thanks for all the info- I am drooling over Jerry Shaw's saddles but I would probably have to sell my soul to afford that!
krista {}-{}