• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rnnthesun

rnnthesun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

I am finally getting to treat myself to a pair of chaps. I do mostly open shows, but hope to start APHA and NRHA (rookie, of course) next year. I want a pair of black chaps.

I have seen a lot of peeps selling the smooth leather chaps for showing. Is this just a fad, or will a pair of smooth chaps still be "in" over the next few years? I don't want to invest a bunch of money in something that is just a trend.

The smooth just seem easier to clean vs. the rough chaps (6 weeks at the cleaners!!!!) and I kind of like the way they look. And isn't there a brand that has elastic along the zipper to provide a better fit? Do they have both smooth and rough styles?

What are the pros and cons of each? Are they easier to keep clean? Do they show every little crease/wrinkle when on in the the show ring? I don't know enough about them to know what questions to ask...

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Slave to: 1 daughter, 1 horse and 1 dog!
Ride, Rinse, Repeat

#2 SilverCharm

SilverCharm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

Rough out. Smoothies are pretty much out unless you already have them and want your money's worth out of them. You are always safe with rough outs, they never go out of style. When I was a youth showing in the 70s rough outs were always in and scallops lasted one season. Smoothies didn't exist when I showed. Smoothies also show leg movement so if your legs move when you ride they are even more noticeable in smoothies.

I have the PMS Hobby Horse chaps and you don't have to take them to the cleaners, just put them in the washer on delicate with a soft cleaner and clean them and then lay them out to dry. In Colorado they take about a day to dry.

I show AQHA, APHA and a little bit of NRHA.

"An exhibitor went up to a horse show judge to complain about being placed below someone who made some sort of mistake, such as being on the wrong lead. the judge's explanation: "the other guy did it better wrong than you did it right."

#3 rnnthesun

rnnthesun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:48 AM

Thanks SilverCharm. I've been to a few open shows and they are pretty casual, so I didn't know what was in or out in the bigger shows.

I hear slinkys are out and the jackets are in, but they are fading out, too. In reining, most seem to show in just a western style button down shirt and some of the women show in wp type glittery stuff. What's your take on it?

I'll check out the Hobby Horse Chaps. Thanks!
Ride, Rinse, Repeat

#4 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

Once you go western, you'll never go back

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

Pleasure jackets are still going strong, they are more flattering and you can make them out of fancier material than the french cuff blouses.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 SilverCharm

SilverCharm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

Jackets were very much in at Sun Circuit for the western classes. Yes, most do show in a button down shirt for reining, but I still use my show shirts from showing the all around. Just didn't want to buy still another shirt. Probably will when I try out NRHA more next year, only showed it once in 2008. But, I still fit in fine with the other shirts and even showed in my extra fancy Showtime Shirt at our National Western Stock Show, just to add some flash. Even put in my reiner's fake tail, he lost his tail before I bought him and hasn't grown back all the way, that hadn't been used since the previous owner showed him at Youth World. Since there was actually a non horse crowd during the show, thought I would show more flash. tongue0009.gif

Here's a link to the photo from that run I plan on buying:

Reining on Tuffy

And then the shirt I usually wear in reining:

Tuffy Reining

Also, you could look at all of the photos taken by Jeff Kirkbride to see what is out there at the higher end of breed shows in AQHA, APHA, PtHA, and IBHA.

"An exhibitor went up to a horse show judge to complain about being placed below someone who made some sort of mistake, such as being on the wrong lead. the judge's explanation: "the other guy did it better wrong than you did it right."

#6 rnnthesun

rnnthesun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Thanks again! Those are some pretty great photos!!! Nice job! Nice shirts, too! I need all the advice I can get!

Sun Circuit, eh? I lived in the Phx area from 1983-1992, then in southeastern AZ until 2005, then moved to TX. I miss the dry climate. I hate the rain. And the cold. What area are you in?

Sandi
Ride, Rinse, Repeat

#7 SilverCharm

SilverCharm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

Thanks and your welcome. I actually live in Colorado. I bet though you are glad you got out of Arizona before the housing dropped dead though.