• Please log in to reply
726 replies to this topic

#1 saltwater redneck

saltwater redneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

The thread went kinda dead. I was just wondering if anyone had any new pics or vids?
I have started work on my newest and I tried the "hanging feeder" it worked quite well but the barrell was too large and they could not get all the hay out. It was fun watching them swing it around and nibble as it swayed! I think it would really work well over a pea gravel area. I will try again with another design.
Lee

Edited by saltwater redneck, 13 February 2009 - 07:17 PM.

"The sole of a horse is a beautiful thing"

#2 JMook

JMook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Okay, I made one, but can't seem to get the video to upload????

#3 Blazn

Blazn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:56 PM

I am thinking of trying the #3 design from the swedish hoof site. Hopefully I will get it built this weekend!
I have an alibi!

#4 saltwater redneck

saltwater redneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:01 AM

I did try square bales in my barrel feeders and as long as I tore the hay apart some it worked very well.

Lee

#5 saltwater redneck

saltwater redneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

Made some progress, I was in Lowes and saw the plastic lattice "excuze my spelling" and it caught my eye. I am quite pleased with how it works. I cut a circular piece to fit my drum. hooked a bungie cord to the lattice to keep it in and ran it out a hole in the bottom of the barrel. I will custom cut a bungie for the finished product but I just wanted to give it a test run. the hole thing is so simple to make and should take a beating. Watch the video and tell me what you think.
Lee

#6 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

oh wow.. do you mind if i use your idea??

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#7 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

I have a much shorter bucket though.. doyou think it would work with one shorter??

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#8 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:13 PM

I like it! Simple and effective! The bungee cord idea is just pure ingenuity! Really good idea! I can't though, with hilly fields and electric fencing, but I think this one is definitely a winner! yay.gif
Are you planning to put some drain holes in it? If you rinsed the hay down, it would eliminate the dust factor, especially with the horses nose in a closed-type space.

I've got the 3 hockey nets laced together and its fitting like a perfect sock over my round bales, but I don't think I'm going to be able to put it to use until I get the barn converted this spring, so that I can anchor the net to the ceiling above it. There's 3' of snow out there right now and although I can roll a bale anywhere, there's no similiar structure..the barn has concrete walls, no trees and I'm rotating fields all the time. I figure I have to string it up in order to keep taking up the slack and keeping the net against the hay as it gets smaller. I've kinda reluctantly ground to a halt on this. Maybe the bungee cord idea could be put to use here. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I haven't been able to find any information on slow feeding whole hay rolls. I also want to keep clearance around the bale, so that the pecking order is just a matter of simple rotation. I feel that if I don't do this, poor Walter is going to get cornered at some point.

The good news so far is that the barn renovation is going to be snap. Remove 2 doors, one small manger and take the stall divider walls out of their slots. All I have to do is create a 12' gate to block the aisle from the remaining operations area and add a new floor. The floor area will be "L" shaped with the bale against the one post that will be free standing and they'll be able to walk around it. Outside,....... meaning I could do it right now....I'm stumped.

If I attach this barrel to the side of building to keep it stationery, what would be the best way to do it? Maybe a couple more bungee cords? One thing that I've noticed with them is that they break down in the sun pretty fast. I've had more longevity out of the black rubber straps that they put on tractor tires for traction, but I'm not sure how long they come. They might interest you though, Saltwater...tougher/stronger.

I think the shorter bucket would work, but you'd want to see your horse still busy at it when you got back. When the horses are first put up against these things, some show irritation, which it understandable. Its when they realize that even though its a pain to get at, the hay is always there, then they relax and go with it. I would think that a barrel cut like Saltwater's would be better towards continuity. It's easy to cut a barrel in half.

I water the horses in these barrels in the summer. They're sitting on a slant with water in them and the weight warps the barrels. I have to keep turning them so they stay round. I have a feeling that the plastic grid may have another important function as well for keeping it round, should a horse decide to pounce on it or sit on it or get it pinched somewhere.

Yup! The KISS method! I'm a fan of this idea! yay.gif

Edited by missyclare, 13 February 2009 - 10:26 PM.

#9 saltwater redneck

saltwater redneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

Okay, I got a new idea to make the barrel feeder better. Take a doggie tie, one of those things that screws into the ground so tie your pet to. Bend it and attach it to the bottom of the barrel. You just spin the barrel and it will be firmly attached to the ground! When you need to move it just spin the barrel and unscrew it. This way you could move it around to keep one area from becoming a mud pit. It would also keep it from rolling away. If you wanted it not mounted I would put some legs on it like it did my other barrels. That will help keep it in a smaller space.

Hope this makes sense, click for a zoom view

Edited by saltwater redneck, 13 February 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#10 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:29 PM

You're just full of good ideas, aren't you? Keep 'em coming! I've had one of those spiral spikes for years, wondering what I ever was going to use it for! flirt.gif

You could probably attach the bottom side end of the bungee cord to it also? As long as it didn't wind up too much. I'd also be keeping those barrels tight to the ground as well, hopefully eliminating much of the movement, cause I wouldn't want that spike working itself out of the ground and becoming a free agent in the paddock. I'd be particularly watchful when the ground was soft.

Edited by missyclare, 13 February 2009 - 11:40 PM.

#11 JMook

JMook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

Hey Lee, I like that. I have been trying to figure out how to upload my video, oh well, my computer was down too. I like how my barrels turned out, only when we had this last rain, my horses desided they would rather push them into the standing water....but thinking I might do the dog stake. Thanks again.

#12 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

Wow!! notworthy.gif notworthy.gif You guys are really good!! What about putting the barrel into a tight fitting but heavier type tire? Or connect two tires together and put the barrel inside. Wonder if that would work. Or if you have a specific area the barrel stays in, could you maybe sink a post, and bolt or bungee cord the barrel to the post.
Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#13 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

I could imagine that trying to stabilize a barrel with bungee cords to a post would probably have them spitting the barrel out of place in the case of Murphy's Law, but coupled with the spike on the bottom, I imagine you'd be great, even in soft ground especially.

I'm not a fan of tires. I don't believe it to be safe. As long as a horse can get a foot caught inside the rim, it just doesn't feel safe. I've seen them with the inside rim blocked for this added safety feature. BUT, if that tire fit the bottom of the barrel like a glove and it was glued or attached there, it would be like a moving anchor and might even act like the Weebles, who wobble, but won't fall down? And if it did decide to go rolling, it would roll in a circle, then flip itself back upright....I see this as a possible delay at getting downhill and smack up against the electric fence. Hmmmm. Horse still moving somewhat also. I like this one better than the post. What do you think of this one?

Can anyone help JMook get that video loaded? I'm computer illiterate and I'm imagining that he's pulling his hair out by now... crazy.gif

Edited by missyclare, 14 February 2009 - 04:47 PM.

#14 BEARCAT

BEARCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

What's the ideal size for the openings?
(i'm helping a friend with her chubby Haffie... grin.gif )

#15 Mudder

Mudder

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Bearcat, 3"x3" approximately.

A tire should make it go in circles, but I suppose the circles could get bigger. Hmmm. Attach two tires together, then put cement in the tires maybe. But, the barrel would have to fit pretty snugly. confused0024.gif I just can't see the doggie thing holding it stationery for a horse, for long. Paw at it, or grab on to the barrel in their mouth and the horse could pull the stake thingy out. I can see mine doing that. My ground is not suiteable for a stake thingy. I was thinking the post be 4' in the ground, the same height as the barrel, and it would work better if you bolted the barrel to the post in a couple places, using some big washers so not to put a hole in the side of the barrel. You'd need to make sure your drain holes are in prior to attaching tho. Tarp straps or bungee cords would probably make it twist, and end up with the barrel all wonky. So that idea is not so great. I need to look around the farm and see what we have that could possibly work.
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#16 The Sugar Lady

The Sugar Lady

wack-a-doodle-doo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

Oooooooh, me likie! I wanna make one too! Only problem is I CANNOT find barrels around here. So far, none of the hardware or feed stores I go to even have a clue as to where I can go to find any. I posted on freecycle this evening, hoping somebody will answer, willing to sell me some barrels. I have my practice barrels that I use, but am hesitant to tear them apart. I do have two plastic water barrel halves that I could turn into feeders. I'd just have to find another container for water when I keep mine in the round ped when they're eating hay.

My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone.

Horsehair and Leather
My Etsy

#17 JMook

JMook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

Missyclair, I am a girl smileywavey.gif

Okay, I am going to just take pics., today of our new improved feeder.....this is what we did, I took the barrel I made the squares in, oh you haven't seen it yet, anyway, placed 2 poles into the ground, then made blocks with notches in it to place the pole length ways, then 1 made whole in the lid and bottom of the barrel, put the pole through the holes so the barrel will roll, it is a tight fit, I am sure with time it will loosen, turn more.....used small bungies to hold the pole in the mount....this morning will be the test drive, with pictures to follow...I am so excited.....

#18 Mudder

Mudder

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

JMook, you can load your video into photobucket, just like you do pictures. Just use the video option. If you can't figure it out, send it to me, and I'll load it for you. dbruteandshortyp@yahoo.ca
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#19 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

Sorry JMook! I actually went to your profile to see if I had gotten it right and it didn't tell me anything, so I left it as a guess. rotf.gif

#20 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

Hi guys, love the ideas! I've just been lurking thus far as I have no imagination but I like what I see!

Quesiton: How easily is the horse able to get hay out of the lattice (sp)? & barrel feeder?My older horse gives up pretty easily - he really will just allow himself to starve. I tried something like this once and when I could start seeing & measuring the weight loss I gave up on him getting the hang of it. I'm sure my other horse will do fine but I worry about my old guy. I'm already loosing the keeping his weight the same as summer during the winter game and I don't want to end up in bigger trouble.

Thanks for all your ideas!!! -Cat

#21 JMook

JMook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:07 AM

Thats okay Missyclair.....

Okay, tried to load the video, it will have to waite until I get home...but if you go to my album, I did put up pics of today...with the new toy...

Have a good day!

#22 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,334 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

That's a great idea. But is the horse supposed to tip it over? If so, I guess that makes it a play thing, too.

I don't like the idea of the dog stake, though. Not here. For one thing, you'd never get the stake in the ground while it's already attached to the barrel. Our ground is just too hard. And if the ground were soft enough, like in the spring, it wouldn't stay put.

What about putting the stake through the bottom of the barrel? Then you could grab onto the top of the stake and twist it in, without turning the barrel. Oh wait...then the top of the stake would be inside and the horses might get hurt on that.

I like Mudder's idea of the tires, once it's perfected. I don't know if you could find a barrel small enough in circumference to fit into a car or truck tire, though. You'd have to use a bigger tire. Might be hard to find those.

What about making a wooden box, with lattice or something in it, instead of a barrel?

BOARD BUDDY CLUB MEMBER I have met 33 board buddies!
MEMBER OF OZLAND SURVIVORS
MEMBER OF THE TURD POSSE - MSTRBKBHRWNS

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

http://www.allbreedp....com/hankie doc

PrettyRosie-1.jpgChiefforsiggy-1-1-2.jpgIMG_0194cropped-1.jpg
Rosie....................Chief...........................Jedi
Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

R.I.P. Snow Chief, August 25, 1980 - April 16, 2009
You were the best trail horse ever.

Old dogs and children, and watermelon wine...

#23 BEARCAT

BEARCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

Jmook, how does yours work?
I don't see how it would work if it's not totally full with the hay pressing against the holes... How does the horse get the hay out at that point?

#24 saltwater redneck

saltwater redneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Most feeders I have seen are square/rectangle I wanted to try the barrel because they are so durable, light and easy for me to get. If you watch the video you will notice that even when they tip it over they will flip it back to access the hay. The plastic lattice has square holes about 3" across and it seems to make the hay accesible but slows them down enough. You can buy it at your home improvement store and cut it very easily. They will push the lattice down as they eat the hay until all is gone. My bungie was mainly to keep the lattice from coming out when they tipped it over. I really think the doggie stake will work in my area. I have used them alot for reinforcing my awning on windy days. When that thing is screwed in you cannot pull it out. You have to unscrew it. This way I can move the feeders every few days to keep any areas from getting totally trampled. If you want it to be a toy and a feeder just put a leg through it like my other barrel feeder. I video of it was in the other topic "Newest in Natural Horsemanship" I think that was the title. The legs will keep it from just rolling at high speed out of your pasture.

I really like it that alot of people are interested, Keep the ideas coming!
Post more pics and videos! I can't get enough!
Lee

#25 saltwater redneck

saltwater redneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

Here is another one, I saw this somewhere else and I just remembered it.

Take a barrel, yes I love theses barrels!
cut the top off, hinge it and add a latch
cut out the bottom, hang a hay net from the bottom edge of the barrel
mount the whole thing to a post 4 feet or so from the ground, or as high as you can and still reach the top. Drop in a half bale and your done! The hay will gravity feed into the hay net as the horses eat. It will not be movable but still a slow feeder!
Lee

#26 JMook

JMook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

Hi all! Well Bearcat, when they push the barrel with their noses, the hay flips over the pole that is in the middle, then the hay falls to the wholes...I put more wholes in mine then Lee did...so there are more places for the hay to go...I did try it out on the ground free rolling, only we have standing water after the rain and my horses pushed it right into it...they rather played with it then eat from it..but having it this way they eat instead of play with it, but still enjoy rolling it with their noses......I did run out and check to see how much hay they eaten out of it, seems to have been a big hit. yay.gif Tomorrow we are going to finsh the barrels with the lattice in them, I am going to use 1 bungie, like Lee did because my horses like to play with things and I am thinking they will figure out how to take the lattice out, I found some smaller bungies that have a plastic snap on one end and a ball on the other, it is alot smaller in length, so hoping I can make this work. My horses love playing with anything they can push, pull and throw....they have balls all over the place...

Hey Lee, what do you think we could do with this barrel...I like the small one, my mind is thinking something they can play with?

http://www.southeast...mp;type=general

#27 saltwater redneck

saltwater redneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

the medium sized blue one looks exactly like the ones I used for the first videos I posted. Where I used the whole barrel and drilled 4" holes. The bigger ones would make a neat toy. No handles or latches, very safe to let them play with!

JMook
Just went to your album, what a very cool idea. How long does it take for your horses to empty it? How many horses? Have you weighed how much hay it will hold?
This is really good stuff
Lee

Edited by saltwater redneck, 15 February 2009 - 09:53 PM.

#28 JMook

JMook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

Sorry haven't weighted the hay, but I put 3 sqs in it, bales weight about 70/80 lbs. maybe 1/2 a sq in there now. I did throw 2 small sqs out, far away so they could take turns, but both ended up on it together, the sqs I threw are all over the place, nice and clean under and around the barrel... which is great! 2 horses.
Off to go feed, fill the feeder again and start the other ones....and weigh hay.

#29 BEARCAT

BEARCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

I have been sharing these ideas with friends, and here's another suggestion.
How about taking a galvinized water trough, cutting out the bottom (which you don't really need), then cutting 3" holes in it and making that the lid??
As long as you can make it so it's not sharp, I think it would work...

#30 JMook

JMook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

Well, I finished the other slow feeders yesterday evening, put them in the pasture, both horse went for them right away, only thing, they had a really hard time eating out of them, no pics yet....forgot the battiers....I cut 1 barrel in 1/2, drilled wholes in the bottom, fitted the lattices, used 2 bungies to hold the lattice down, but 1 horse figured out how to pick up the lattice on one side and pull the hay out, then the other 1 wouldn't eat from it, he couldn't get the hay to come through...so off to the drawing board again...any sujections? I need away for the hay to be easly gottin to for the gelding and make it were the filly wont pull it up...