• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mspaints

mspaints

• Members
  • Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

I was told to give my horse human Aspirin instead of animal pain medicines to help control pain. Someone had said they give their horse aspirin instead of bute to help with arthritis. I asked her how much and she said whatever he needs. It was to broad of an answer for me so I just used the bute then but it got me curious as to if you can give a horse human asprin? Has anyone? If so how much and what for?
Thanks..

#2 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

You can definatly use BUFFERED asprins but I cannot remember the dosage for certain.

Its something like 400mg per 100 lbs of horse? I know I had to crush a TON of them when we did not have any bute before the vet came for a muscle injury. Vet told us what and how much, but its been awhile ago.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#3 mydakota

mydakota

Ex-Con

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

I have had my vet instruct me to give aspirin to my horse before. I gave it to my old gelding, Kelso. He was a smaller horse, maybe 900 lbs. He received 10 pills of buffered aspirin twice a day. Unfortunately, I can't remember how many mg they were. So I guess I am not much help. But yes, they can indeed take aspirin.
I got 2 wonderful horses at Emerald Valley Equine Assistance Horse Rescue.
Dakota-6 year old bay Quarab gelding
Macai-17 year old black Arab mare

May your horse never stumble, your cinch never break
Your belly never grumble, your heart never ache.

Until you learn to always take care of your horse before you take care of yourself, your horse can never be expected to take care of you. (Grandpa Thompson)

R.I.P. Kelso, Half Arab gelding B ? 1961, D 12-17-94 my companion for 23 years.
R.I.P. Nerak, Arabian gelding B March 1973, D 2-14-00 my companion for 25 years.
I will listen for your hoofbeats in heaven.

I met a few board buddies! MondaesMom, Andi, Audrey Mae, Silverdreamer3, Red Ripley, Beaucephus, Desperate Horsewife, Rodentra, Mrs. , xpasocorto, Scapoose, Paca Paca, Adoro Reina, Remy, LightningStrikesTwice and Quarterflash!

#4 dressagechamp

dressagechamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hmmm.....interesting to know. I was thinking, if you could give dogs human joint supplements, horses might be the same.

Proud mommy to,
Bradley: 12 year old/TB 3rd level dressage horse
Max: 15 year old/Holstiner PSG dressage horse

#5 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

i ahve a horse on aspirin right now.they make them in huge pills for horses.he gets them am and pm.you can also get aspirin powder...one tablespoon a day i think is average
<div align='center'>There's no sense beating a dead horse --
but if you've reached the point where
you even seriously consider that abusing
a dead animal might improve your lot in
life, I say go ahead and give it a shot</div>

Board Buddies I have met:RixKatToy,Doublelhorses,Daphne
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->www.horseadoption.com<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#6 spotz58

spotz58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

There are a couple of flavored aspirin powders available also. Easy-peasy!

#7 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,321 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

One of my vet books says to give naproxen sodium instead of aspirin. That's Aleve. It said it's less likely to cause stomach problems. I gave Chief 9 of them for something. It was a long time ago, I don't remember clearly what he had going on....some kind of leg strain, I think.

BOARD BUDDY CLUB MEMBER I have met 33 board buddies!
MEMBER OF OZLAND SURVIVORS
MEMBER OF THE TURD POSSE - MSTRBKBHRWNS

Rosie, aka Hankie Doc

http://www.allbreedp....com/hankie doc

PrettyRosie-1.jpgChiefforsiggy-1-1-2.jpgIMG_0194cropped-1.jpg
Rosie....................Chief...........................Jedi
Rosie_in_the_mist.jpg
Rosie in the Mist

R.I.P. Snow Chief, August 25, 1980 - April 16, 2009
You were the best trail horse ever.

Old dogs and children, and watermelon wine...

#8 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

Because medications are metabolized differently between species, some meds that are safe for one aren't for another and the dosages (mg/kg) vary.

For example....Soloxine. A thyroid hormone pill....people take it, dogs take it. But dogs take it at a much higher dose than people.

Another example...Rimadyl. Originally created as an anti inflammatory for people, it caused far too much jaundice and is now approved for veterinary use only.

Acetaminophen? Toxic to cats. But not to dogs.

Bute? Used in veterinary medicine now but not human medicine because there are more effective and safer NSAIDS to use.

My point is that just because something works for species A at dose X does not mean that it is the best choice for species B or that it will be given at dose X.

When in doubt, it is always best to consult your veterinarian.

For horses, aspirin is not the safest and most effective NSAID available and therefore, is not widely used. In a pinch you sure could. But I wouldn't when other medications are available.
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#9 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

actually it is marketed for horses in pill and powder form.

the horse we are currently dosing has some issues with his veins.we brought him home from the sale and he tied up the second day he was on the track,even though he was carefully worked.it was a nightmare getting into his veins to jug him with fluids and DMSO.our vet thinks that any time he has been given lasix or any other meds thru the vein it is casing some scarring and small blood clots.so he is on a vet prescribed regimen of aspirin tablet twice a day for the next 60 days.it will help dissolve the clots is the theory.

if i have a horse that is a bleeder,i use a tablespoon a day of aspirin in the grain.i worked for a vet who went to a seminar in Ca.using video they showed a horse that was treadmilled and bled thru lasix.he was put on aspirin and treadmilled again 30 days later.lasix was used both times.the thought is that the aspirin thins the blood and prevents the platelets from coating themselves and bursting the capillaries in the lungs.i have had success with the two horses i treated with the aspirin .
<div align='center'>There's no sense beating a dead horse --
but if you've reached the point where
you even seriously consider that abusing
a dead animal might improve your lot in
life, I say go ahead and give it a shot</div>

Board Buddies I have met:RixKatToy,Doublelhorses,Daphne
<!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro-->www.horseadoption.com<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->