5 replies to this topic

#1 Ellie2WJumper89

Ellie2WJumper89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

I've always been an "eyeballer" when it comes to feeding hay, but with money getting a bit tight I'd like to make sure that I'm not overfeeding it unnecessarily. I would like to get a scale to weigh my hay. What kind of scale do you use for that? Do you use like a produce scale that hangs? Where would I get something like that?
<3 Caitlin

*Ellie's Way Won-1998 APHA Mare
*Renaissance Lady-1989 AQHA Mare

Rest In Peace
Sheza Breezy Willow
2.13.05-11.10.10

"No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come."
-Victor Hugo-

HC's Token Gay Girl and Resident Homosexual Penguin Expert

Another Hopeful Vet Student-My Blog

Board Buddies I've Met: t_aire_e, BuddyRoo, Lash Man and Al Girl, katie may, Goldentoes

#2 Diamond Jake

Diamond Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

Ellie,
You can go to any store that sells fishing supplies and get a fish scale if you do not have any other luck.

One that goes up to say, maybe 20 pounds?

The while you are at that same store, grab a canvas wood carrier. It should look like a long piece of canvas with a mesh handle at each end. Almost like a duffle bag with no sides. You can put your hay flakes in there, and hang the handles on the fish scale, which you can hang from just about anything..

So.. does this make sense? If no, let me know, and I will try and find a picture for you.
Forever in my heart, Molly, October 2006
Jake, 1997 Morab gelding
Stella, 2003 Doberman

#3 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

or...just get a digital scale. step on. weigh yourself. then grab hay, reweigh.

:)
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#4 lynnehall67

lynnehall67

I am still alive.... and here's proof.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

Baby scales work great too. You can get them at Target or Walmart. The tray is perfect for setting your hay on to weigh it.

Founding member of S.H.Y. (Silence Halts You)_ A social (and support) group for the anti-social.
Card holding member of the "Screw You, I'm Brilliant" Club.
H.O.G.G. WILD
Proud member Team Psaint
Any images included in my posts are my own and cannot be reproduced without my written consent.
Please Visit My Website... Lynne Hall Photography

6/1/09 I met my first board buddy... Skippysperson. I've also met BuddyRoo (and Giais... isn't he a memeber?) and Theo too... Oh, and Tazzin as well.

#5 Apps4Life

Apps4Life

Chief Turd Burglar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

I'll ditto the fish scale, mine's a 30-40# one, so you'll definitely get all your hay weighed. If you use a hay net just weigh in the net and then weigh the net separately..
Posted Image

BBs Met: ShezaSmokinGun, Mule_Freak's mom =), Kristina, Demon's Mom, SpottedT, MUT, Ratts, Notyo, HFF (and Bella), Pinky, Chey, Lora, Lash, Tuck, BB Blue, Hoofs In Motion, Got Barrels?, Meeker, Tuper, The Sugar Lady, Harley, journeysgirl, BuddyRoo, KatieMay, MizParker, DiamondJake, QuarterFlash, Andi, SweetAddiction, RunninColors, SCSpots, Heidi and FLEquus!

RIP Misty, thank you for teaching me so much

~Samantha~
My Tack for Sale

#6 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

I go mine here: http://www.affordabl...e...&Ohaus_SD75

I think I have the SD75. I have it sitting on a upside down storage container and the readout mounted on the wall at eye level. Very easy to weigh, read, and quite accurate, though I think probably from the other suggestion you could likely get something cheaper.

I do like that it goes high enough that I can weigh a few full bales of hay from a new load and figure out how long that load will last me much more accurately. In this area they sell hay by the bale and weights vary from about 35-65 lbs. The hay sellers can rarely tell you, accurately, how much their bales weigh. rolleye0014.gif

Edited by ExtraHannah, 12 March 2009 - 08:16 AM.

Cadence Rhythm Beads is now on:
Facebook
and on
PhotoBucket