20 replies to this topic

#1 Ellie2WJumper89

Ellie2WJumper89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Mudder wanted to start a thread where we could all post pictures of the homemade hoof stands we've made, so here it is!

Even if you've already posted a topic with your hoof stand on it, feel free to post it here so we have all the ideas in one spot smilie.gif

Here's mine!

I started out with my mom's old umbrella stand.

Then I added a tennis ball.

And some Gorilla Tape.

And voila! A very inexpensive, fully functional hoof stand!

Can't wait to see everyone else's ideas!

<3 Caitlin

*Ellie's Way Won-1998 APHA Mare
*Renaissance Lady-1989 AQHA Mare

Rest In Peace
Sheza Breezy Willow
2.13.05-11.10.10

"No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come."
-Victor Hugo-

HC's Token Gay Girl and Resident Homosexual Penguin Expert

Another Hopeful Vet Student-My Blog

Board Buddies I've Met: t_aire_e, BuddyRoo, Lash Man and Al Girl, katie may, Goldentoes

#2 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:01 AM

I made Mine of a small car jack stand.. I cut a tennis ball almost in half to cover the top and then duct taped it.. works great is light weight and height adjustable.

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#3 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

Thanks Ellie, you Ba Bestest. huggy.gif I didn't know if I'd get back to this anytime soon, as we're seeding up here. And I thought these good ideas are worth keeping handy. We may be starting another forum soon for leather working and other things we've invented or improved upon, and I will put a link to all this forum's nifty ideas there as well.
Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#4 Mudder

Mudder

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

I wanted my own hoof stand as well. I tried looking online for one, but found what I liked was out of my price range. So I took a picture of two different hoof stands into my local welder. I told him I like this from this stand, and this from that stand, make it for me. And he did. It works quite well to.

He took a large disk from an old disk drill, welded a 18" high piece of square tubing to it. He drilled a hole in the square tubing, then welded a nut to the outside, and put a bolt thingy there, so I could make the height adjustable. On top of that he took another piece of 10" long square tubing, and welded a 4" square plate on top of it. That's for filing. It was a bit slippery, so I bought some non slip stuff from the automotive section, and stuck that on there, and now the hoof stays nicely. The square tubing is about 2" square.

The cradle part, he welded a curved light metal piece (could have been harder metal, but it still works), to another piece of 10" long square tubing. He filed the edges nicely so they wouldn't cut. I wanted something cushioning on this cradle part so I bought a thick non slip place mat, and glued it on. So far it's staying put.

Now for some pics.

Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#5 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

When I look at the first one, all I see a horse's foot pushed through the fancy iron work on the bottom and can just see said horse going crazy trying to get the thing off of his hind leg.

The second one is made on an old disk. I have one just like it that I won't use any more. I had a friend that saw mine and told me about a horse he knew that sliced completely through a hind tendon when he flipped it over. With the stand on its side, he proceeded to put his full weight down on the upright disk. The horse was put down. He said he went home and bent a piece of 3/8 inch rebar all the way around the bottom of his stand and welded it there. I just retired mine and continued to use the other one I have.

It is 'L' shaped with a stall jack head on one end and a trailer hitch ball on the other that has had a small circle cut out of an old rasp welded to the top of the ball. The small piece of rasp keeps a horse's hoof from slipping off of it. I just stand on the other end when I use it.

More recently, I bought one of the good new ones with the adjustable cradle that holds a hoof for me. I still use the old one to rasp off nails to pull shoes and to 'round up' and finish a trim.

#6 Ellie2WJumper89

Ellie2WJumper89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

smileywavey.gif

Thanks Cheri.

I can't really afford to purchase a new hoof stand right now. I'm just a struggling college kid, you know, so I have to make do with what I have.

My horses are all very quiet and never give anyone problems with their feet. I'm certain they'll be fine, though I do appreciate your concern.
<3 Caitlin

Rest In Peace
Sheza Breezy Willow
2.13.05-11.10.10

-Victor Hugo-

Board Buddies I've Met: t_aire_e, BuddyRoo, Lash Man and Al Girl, katie may, Goldentoes

#7 Mudder

Mudder

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

No way that 18" disk is going to tip over. It's heavy and very stable, and has no sharp edges anywhere. He's pulled his foot off that stand many times, plus I stand on it.
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#8 ShelleyC

ShelleyC

It not unusual to be loved by anyone!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

Here's Ours,..

Steel pipe that screwed into a 55 gallon drum lid. Another pipe slides down into that one and then a piece of strapping was welded onto the top for a the hoof rest. We wrapped that in old Neoprene Saddle fenders and then wrapped it in place with duct tape. The hoof rest is removeable and as soon as hubby gets the right bit,..he will be drilling holes in the pipes so he can use a cotter pin to raise and lower the height.

He will need that when he goes to do other people's horses but for ours right now,..it works fine. Our horses will put their feet on anything their asked to so hubby gets away with not having to do the work yet!LOL I don't think that will be the case with other's horses!LOL

When the rest is removed and the hoof is pulled forward? That pipe has been filed and rounded with a disc grinder so if they "miss" and hit it they hit smoother surface instead of sharp metal.

Anyway,..works for us for now til we can afford to buy a nice one!

Edited by ShelleyC, 17 May 2009 - 07:30 AM.

#9 Ellie2WJumper89

Ellie2WJumper89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

Awesome, Shelley, thanks for sharing!
<3 Caitlin

Rest In Peace
Sheza Breezy Willow
2.13.05-11.10.10

-Victor Hugo-

#10 Vicka'sMom

Vicka'sMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:16 PM

OK, so here is my "Brelly" Hoof stand. A business acquaintance of my hubby's did the welding of the cradle and drilling of the adjustment holes...the cap is just a galvanized cyclone fence post cap. I am going to dip it in liquid rubber a few times for cush and grip.

Now I have to take Feets pics to study before I dive in!

I think I'm ready!
10 year old Reg. Appaloosa mare: "OK Goin' for Carrie" aka "Vicka" (Former PMU)

#11 Ahab

Ahab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

I love the umbrella stand idea, but couldn't find one. So I improvised with some used 3/4" plywood.

This can be built with a jig saw... The trick is to make sure that the pieces fit tight, so they are nice and solid once put together.

Slide the the pieces for the stand together, fit the larger pipe into them, screw the circular bottom to the stand, and drill height adjustments through the outer pipe and inner pipe (with tennis ball).

The pictures should be self-explanatory...

Note that I added some triangular pieces to the base to help keep the stand solid.

This stand is working really well. It's solid enough, not too heavy and has a good height.
I support P.E.T.A.
(People for Eating Tasty Animals)

#12 Chocomare

Chocomare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:08 PM

I need to get new pictures of it clearly, but in the lower left of this shot you can see mine: http://pets.webshots...015305252YBboMX

I did the umbrella stand, too.... cast iron square. Very stable for my big mares.
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." Gal. 5:1a --
http://forever-free-farm.tripod.com

#13 Sprite's Mom

Sprite's Mom

In the beginning, God created

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

I don't know all the details, but I know someone who made one out of the agitator from an old washing machine.

#14 Ahab

Ahab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (Chocomare @ Sep 17 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did the umbrella stand, too.... cast iron square. Very stable for my big mares.

It looks good!
Those umbrella ones are great because there is next to no work to build... You just need to make the attachments for the top.
I support P.E.T.A.
(People for Eating Tasty Animals)

#15 ringoabc

ringoabc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new on here but this bulletin caught my attention, last year I made a hoof stand by taking a piece of diamond plate metal and cutting out a circle, if I remember correctly it was a little over a foot in cir. and I welded on three metal toobing pieces at different heights. One for the hoof, one to hold my rasp (not in use), and one to hold my nippers (not in use). I ground down all the edges and added a tennis ball to the top. If anyone wants to see a pic I can try to upload one later!

Well it's nice to be on here with everyone!

~Ringo~

#16 Mudder

Mudder

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:32 AM

Welcome Ringo. Absolutely post a pic, we'd LOVE to see what you got. happy0203.gif
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#17 Chocomare

Chocomare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

Wellllll, I must confess that I broke down and ordered a real hoof stand.

My homemade stand, while faithful and true, just wasn't cutting it anymore. I didn't have a sling and this old lady just cannot hold 6.75" hooves between my knees anymore. I'm in too much pain afterwards and can't stand up straight.

Since it Tis The Season, I asked Santa Claus for a Hoof-It Stand....especially since it was on sale. It was just delivered and OH MY GOSH is it fabulous!!!!!! yay.gif

Lightweight, very very easy to change from Peg to Sling because it's allllll one piece! You just open the tensioner at the neck, slide down the sling and retighten. To return to the sling, open the tensioner and slide it up/retighten.

Can't wait to trim the Percheron tonight!

P.S. Info here: http://www.hoof-it.c...;products_id=80

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." Gal. 5:1a --
http://forever-free-farm.tripod.com

#18 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:16 AM

My brother in law made this hoof stand out of an old car stand and some other spare parts. It was my birthday present. He did good. I really like it but it is HEAVY. I think eventually I will have to break down and cheat like Chocomare and get a real one but for now this works great. No complaints other than the weight.

#19 madlikeness

madlikeness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

does anyone have a pattern could follow? i would love to make the square umbrella stand, thing. if anyone has osme info that would be great thanks!
~shoot for the sky, and if you miss, land in the saddle~

Don't Squat with your spurs on.

#20 shana136

shana136

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

I just made one today to try and see how it works :) I am pleased to say it is VERY sturdy and I don't ever have to stand on it like my other stands. I don't have to worry about the horse pulling it over and one of them who constantly yanked it foot off (a hoof jack stand, which I still love as well) doesn't even try anymore. I think he likes how sturdy this stand is and there is no wobble to it on any type of ground. Best of all I got everything (except the doggy balls, much stronger than a tennis ball, which I will use until my rubber tops gets here. )at a Home Depot for under $40 and had it made in 10 min. :) It adjusts from 14 to 21 inches :)

Umbrella stand

Posted Image

A $5 dollar steel pipe from the plumbing section

Posted Image

With doggy ball and taped ready to go. :)

Posted Image

Edited by shana136, 28 May 2011 - 06:00 PM.

#21 buckbreaker

buckbreaker

MFT fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

LOL, everyone is so creative......I would have never thought to make my own. Nice work!
When they lay me down to rest, put my spurs and rope upon my chest. Get my friends to carry me and then go turn my horses free.
Posted Image