• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleCRanchGal

DoubleCRanchGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

Ok, so I have a 21 y.o. Arabian. He always seems to have something weird going on and this time its his skin. He has little bumps all over his neck, belly, and chest. It's starting to spread to his back, legs, and butt. I don't know what they are and none of the other horses have them! It almost looks like 1,000 bug bites in one tiny area, but theres so many I'm not sure if that would be the problem. Plus, we don't really have a problem with flies, though we do have those evil deer flies.

Anyways, any suggestions as to what they may be? Should I be doing something about it?
R.I.P. Southern Pine Taffy! You will always be in my heart! ~passed away March 4, 2007 at 34 years old. Red Roan, QH, gelding~

R.I.P. Jessie! Passed away December 12, 2009 at 20 years old. She was always everybodys "favorite horse" and was known as the "pig" for her constant snorting. You will be greatly missed Jess! 20 years old. Sorrel, QH/Tenn. Walker, Mare.

Lightning Star ~ 6 yr. old Palomino, QH, Gelding

Morning Star ~ 15 yr. old Palomino, Paint, Mare

Woody ~ 16 yr. old Bay, TB/Arab, Gelding

Copper ~ 12 yr. old Sorrel, Belgian, Gelding

Marianna's Misty Star a.ka. "Misty" ~ 1 yr. old soon to be Grey, QH, Mare

Dandy's Durriel a.k.a. "Billy" ~ 22 yr. old Chestnut, Arabian, Gelding

Mickey ~ 4 yr. old Grey, Jesus Donkey, Stallion/Jack

No Jumps, No Glory

Turn and Burn, baby!

www.mgharena.com

#2 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

Is it possible that he rolled in an ant bed?

#3 DoubleCRanchGal

DoubleCRanchGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

Yea, its possible that he might have. But wouldn't the bites dissapear after a while? Were going on three weeks with the bumps. I had originally thought they were bites so I din't worry about them. But three weeks?!?
R.I.P. Southern Pine Taffy! You will always be in my heart! ~passed away March 4, 2007 at 34 years old. Red Roan, QH, gelding~

R.I.P. Jessie! Passed away December 12, 2009 at 20 years old. She was always everybodys "favorite horse" and was known as the "pig" for her constant snorting. You will be greatly missed Jess! 20 years old. Sorrel, QH/Tenn. Walker, Mare.

No Jumps, No Glory

Turn and Burn, baby!

www.mgharena.com

#4 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

I highly doubt it. I didn't see anything about it going on 3 weeks.

#5 Powder

Powder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

It could be hives. It sounds like he is eating or rolling in something that he is allergic to. One of our horses has bouts with hives every summer, but they don't last so long as your horse's have. He may be continuing to react if he keeps getting exposed to the particular substance that is causing the reaction.

I would talk to a vet and get him or her to look at the horse. He or she can give you medication to help your horse with the problem.

It would be nice if you could identify what he is allergic to, but I know how difficult that can be!

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#6 Shawnee-Girl

Shawnee-Girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

My mare has these too. My vet said they are just bug bites. Hers are pretty good size too. Try lots of bug sparay and see if they go away!!!!

#7 zaar

zaar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

three weeks, can't you imagine what misery that poor horse must be in? My mare broke out in hives two years ago, the third day I put her in the corral and just feed her hay thinking she had gotten into something and it would clear up but it didn't, two more days and I HAD THE VET COME OUT. Come to find out she was suddenly allergic to every thing she was eating, I had to go find some oat or beardless wheat hay for her.
Ride trails, sometimes fast and furious. Own two kigers, one mustang and one plantation
walker.

#8 Skipatardy

Skipatardy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

smileywavey.gif Sounds like hives to me - my mare has a problem with hives, too. You can try HistAll, an antihistamine and your Vet could prescribe TriHist - a good tea tree oil bath can help soothe your horse. My mare has broken out so badly the Vet put her on a steroid for a short time and she gave her an immune booster shot. It seems like every other year (odd!) she has a severe breakout. This year was her off year, but we've still been dealing with mild breakouts. I have also used Benedryl tablets - she'll eat them out of my hand! - 1 per 100 lbs. - if the outbreak is mild, the Benedryl will usually help. Good luck - hives can be hateful to deal with! It's next to impossible to figure out the true cause. My Vet finally said she suspected my mare was reacting to something airborn, because she was on the same hay, same feed, same pasture, etc.

#9 DoubleCRanchGal

DoubleCRanchGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

Thanks. I hadn't really thought about hives. I pulled up some pictures and it didn't really look like it would be, but I'll call and check with the vet just incase.

No Jumps, No Glory

Turn and Burn, baby!

www.mgharena.com

#10 DoubleCRanchGal

DoubleCRanchGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

Oh, are hives contagious? (sp?)

No Jumps, No Glory

Turn and Burn, baby!

www.mgharena.com

#11 BethanyW

BethanyW

At Peace With My Inner Snark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

No hives are not contagious. Hives are the body's reaction to something like venom from bites or stings or plant material or even chemicals like fly spray. There is no disease, this is an individual horse's response.

At this point I would call the vet. There should not be a reaction for this long unless the horse is constantly being exposed to an allergen. Anything else in skin conditions is going to need treatment. If it's lasted this long it's likely the treatment should come from a vet.

On the off chance that someone here would recognize it, you might consider putting up a picture.
Secret Society of the Snark Sisters ~ I'm the Slightly Sarcastic One

Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

Member of the 500+ Gang.

Proud Mom of Kings Poker Chic AQHA mare, Dirty Sunshine AQHA appendix mare, Saltys Charge AQHA stallion, and one grade gelding worth his weight in GOLD.

#12 DoubleCRanchGal

DoubleCRanchGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

K, thanks. And yes, I will post pictures tomorrow morning. =]

No Jumps, No Glory

Turn and Burn, baby!

www.mgharena.com

#13 MidMopaints

MidMopaints

Dare to be different

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

sounds like hives my gelding gets them pretty bad sometimes. We have a allergy supplement our vet gave us last time he went to the vet. His dam got hives too. Sometimes it seems like they stick around forever and other times there gone after a day...
Posted Image

Member of the I LOVE JASPER Fan Club! #3

Helmets save lives, get one that fits!--and if you fall replace it. They are only good for one fall.

Owned by
Paint Me A Lake aka Misty 1997 tobiano *Speed*
Loots Custom Harley 2005 Bay overo *APHA show circuit all around*
Loots Choclate Legacy(pending) aka Isabella - 2009 black overo*Yearling halter & longeline*

*In Loving Memory*
Kojack-8 yr GSD June 16, 2001- November 24, 2009
My pride and joy and my very best friend. I will never forget you.
I FINALLY met a Board Buddy!!!! SpiffyGrl

#14 BethanyW

BethanyW

At Peace With My Inner Snark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

Pictures?
Secret Society of the Snark Sisters ~ I'm the Slightly Sarcastic One

Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

Member of the 500+ Gang.

Proud Mom of Kings Poker Chic AQHA mare, Dirty Sunshine AQHA appendix mare, Saltys Charge AQHA stallion, and one grade gelding worth his weight in GOLD.

#15 DoubleCRanchGal

DoubleCRanchGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

Ok, sorry I have not posted pictures. I've not seen Billy since Sunday night - family things.

I just went out to see him and he hasn't a bump on him. I have no idea what happened. Anyways, here is a picture from before he became covered. They were this size the whole time, but of coarse there were a whole lot more. The more I look at this picture I think its just a bug bite, but with the amount that he had I'm just not sure.

I'm sorry this isn't a good picture. I'm also sorry I didn't take a picture after it had gotten really bad. It really does look like just a bug bite here.

No Jumps, No Glory

Turn and Burn, baby!

www.mgharena.com

#16 wrangler

wrangler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

Sounds like an allergic reaction to something. Could be in the hay, could be a weed? Could be pollen! We had a number of horses break out with hives with a yellow serum weeping out from the oak trees during certain times of the year. Have you recently changed his food? Is the pollen count high there?
Hey Mr. Vaquero...put a handle on my pony for me..teach me the mystery!

I met a board buddy: Cutter, Reiner0227, Farm Mom, JG, Greyhorse,Scapoose,Audrey-Mae, Quincy's Keeper