16 replies to this topic

#1 Kristina

Kristina

Cowgirl Up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

I need to find a cheap, but safe way to build my horse a shelter or find a place that will sell something cheap. Any pics would be greatly appreciated, or any info on how to build or where to buy horse shelters. Thanks for any help.
Buck (Appaloosa)
(RIP)

Proud owner of my second horse- Sarge, QH/T-bred, 8 years old, 15.3hh chestnut gelding

Heart Breakin, Horse Breakin Cowgirl!!!

Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Live each day to the fullest, like it's your last and don't be afraid to cry.

I met a Board Buddy... Ride 18, Apps4Life

#2 Bertha's mom

Bertha's mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

one of my friends used old privacy fence for the sides and found some old tin for the roof. it is not the prettiest but the horses do not care.

#3 CowgirlUp5707

CowgirlUp5707

.... and butter sauce!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

We have carport shelters for sale all over around my area... i cant remember the brand.. TSC i believe sells them (or the closest one near me has before). The smaller ones would be great for a horse or two with the proper horse-proofing done to it. I believe they sell for $600 or so, just depending on where you look.

I was looking in to one as a run in shelter when we were moving my horses home, but we got the chance to build something permanent instead.

ETA:

Heres somewhat what im talking about... im not sure who manufactures them. And im certain you can get them much smaller! lol

[attachment=2864:carport_art.gif]

And heres a "real life" picture of one... tongue0009.gif
http://www.circlecsa...ges/carport.jpg

Edited by CowgirlUp5707, 14 June 2009 - 04:31 PM.

s14.jpg

#4 brlracr624

brlracr624

Insane and loving it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

5 to 7 pieces of plywood, 5 or so 4x4's and a good water proof tarp. That iw how we made a lean to for our mini and goat. Our is short, being for a mini and goat but you can make it taller if need be.

Go to Lowes and ask about cull lumber, it is usually 75% off retail price for slightly damaged wood. Nothing major and it isn't like a horse needs perfect wood. We used barn paint and did an 8x8 square shelter that is 6 ft tall for under 80 bucks.

I'd post pics but my laptop is old and decrepid and will crash if I try. Hope that helped
BB's I've met...Tazzin, Trinity, NCtrailgirl, DixieBelle, Loverofhorses36, edenn3583 and Lynnehall67

Slave to my animals
Tank my loving Heeler mix
Scout my feline master
JuneBug AMHA bay roan
Jinky the wonder goat Went to greener pastures 10/27/11

#5 Kristina

Kristina

Cowgirl Up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I too was thinking of using a waterproof tarp or something for the roof and sides, just something cheap, but shelter that is safe. Thanks again. Any pics would be helpful.
Buck (Appaloosa)
(RIP)

Proud owner of my second horse- Sarge, QH/T-bred, 8 years old, 15.3hh chestnut gelding

Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

#6 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

Have you looked at any of the tarp carport type things? Google tarp buildings. Some of them are for as little as $150. They work well for hay storage too. I use a carport like the one shown by cowgirlup.

#7 Kristina

Kristina

Cowgirl Up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

Thanks guys. Would I need to do a sloped roof or can I just do a flat roof? Thanks again.
Buck (Appaloosa)
(RIP)

#8 Debi Z

Debi Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

Just a word of caution-if you use any type of portable car port, make sure it's anchored good to the ground! Otherwise, you get a wind, and it just might blow over.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ. For it is the power of God to salvation to everyone that believeth, for the Jew first, and also for the Greek.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father but by Me.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

I've met the following board buddies: KLN and Staci (fellow boarders) Irishsheets, Kerosene, and Jeremiah Bullfrog.

#9 CowgirlUp5707

CowgirlUp5707

.... and butter sauce!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

Ditto to Debi Z! Ive seen even the metal ones get taken with just a good amount of wind, so anchoring is a MUST (as with any shelter). Thats why i would suggest the metal ones if youre wanting something that could be somewhat permanent. I dont think (correct me if im wrong) the tarp ones would necessarily stand up to a whole lot of wear and tear a horse can put on it...

s14.jpg

#10 Kristina

Kristina

Cowgirl Up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

Thanks guys. What about this one that I found on TSC web site? Do ya'll think it would work, it's cheap and seems like it would be safe? Thanks again for the great info, will definetely anchore it down somehow.

http://www.tractorsu...t...rue&cFlag=1

Edited by Kristina, 14 June 2009 - 09:37 PM.

Buck (Appaloosa)
(RIP)

#11 Debi Z

Debi Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

What you're looking at is the sides, not the shelter itself. The shelter is shown on the right. You can add the sides if you want. A friend of mine has some kind of run in that she bought from TSC. It has a curved top, and works great. I don't think it has any door to it, but does extend all the way to the ground.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ. For it is the power of God to salvation to everyone that believeth, for the Jew first, and also for the Greek.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father but by Me.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

I've met the following board buddies: KLN and Staci (fellow boarders) Irishsheets, Kerosene, and Jeremiah Bullfrog.

#12 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Kristina @ Jun 14 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys. What about this one that I found on TSC web site? Do ya'll think it would work, it's cheap and seems like it would be safe? Thanks again for the great info, will definetely anchore it down somehow.

http://www.tractorsu...t...rue&cFlag=1

That's the kind I was talking about. I've often thought of getting one for a hay shed.

#13 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:45 PM

Kristna,

I have a carport type shelter that I've used since 01, I put extra steel down the sides, & lined it with boards 4 foot up, plus I put a partial end wall in it with all oak lumber I had settong around. The wind won't blow it anywhere, it fits my 3 horses real well. PD

Edited by Peppers Dad, 15 June 2009 - 11:10 AM.

#14 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:00 AM

We have two that we got at Sam's Club for $199 each.
The vinyl breaks down within 3-5 years. and even with heavy anchoring, they can still flip over in high gusty winds. Place the shed with the narrow section facing the direction of the wind to minimize lift-off.

Our local power or phone companies used to drop off old or broken poles for free. But the creosote used to preserve them is considered to be toxic waste by CA and they can't do that any more. Your state may have different regulations. The following link should be helpful.

http://www.motherear...al-Shelter.aspx
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#15 brlracr624

brlracr624

Insane and loving it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

Here is a pic of ours so you can kinda see it. Ours has a tilted roof and the 4x4's are 2 ft into the ground.
BB's I've met...Tazzin, Trinity, NCtrailgirl, DixieBelle, Loverofhorses36, edenn3583 and Lynnehall67

Slave to my animals
Tank my loving Heeler mix
Scout my feline master
JuneBug AMHA bay roan
Jinky the wonder goat Went to greener pastures 10/27/11

#16 QH_LUV_R

QH_LUV_R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,299 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

Kristina, I learned from experience, those do not stay put in a bad storms with wind or strong wind gusts.
I got one for a temporary cover for my mare last year when she was injured during hurricane Ike and we lost our barn roof.

There is too much surface area for wind to catch the canvas and lift the entire structure.
Also too, the frame isn't designed to withstand the wind and I don't know how you would secure it to the ground where it doesn't blow up during a bad storm.

You would be better off sinking posts and building something with solid plyboard on 3 sides and a tin roof with a good pitch for runoff.

Be sure the boarding is off the ground several inches to discourage moisture rot.

Around here, you can go to lumber mills and buy what they saw off the outside of a pine tree when milling it into lumber planks.
It's a plank but still has the bark in tact.
I forget what they call it. Not very uniformed, but does the job just fine.

It's really low cost per running foot compared to milled lumber.
A lot of people here use it for planking in their horse stalls, barn alleys, rd. pens.
Looks kind of cool too.

I don't know if you are in a forested area as I am, but you might call around to mills and see if they have anything like that.
I wish I had a pic of my friends rd. pen, it is so cool looking.

My HC Board Buddies in Order of Appearance+++J.R.&Gin+++FarmGirl824+++MagnumGirl, Crazychicken/family+++SmileItLooksGoodOnYou ttt

#17 Kristina

Kristina

Cowgirl Up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:09 AM

Thanks QH LUV R, I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but I have to figure something out before this winter. I might just put 4x4's in the ground and use metal for the roof and plywood for the sides. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Buck (Appaloosa)
(RIP)