15 replies to this topic

#1 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

Well, it was a bad day for my mom and just wanted to see if anybody had any experience with this.

Total accident my mom closed a door on a 4-5 week old kitten. No obvious physical harm (meaning bleeding, cuts, wounds, etc.) but the kitten is paralyzed from front of hips back. It's tale moves (slowly) around a bit but looks more like reflexive movement than anything else to me. Has no control over it's hind legs/end and no response to pain. Obviously the kitten was rushed to the vet's office and vet was looking at it within 1/2 hour. Gave it a steroid shot (sorry I'm not sure what) and said wait and see. Maybe it will get better maybe not. Vet wasn't terribly experienced (small town vet) but thought it was worth a try and that the kitten shouldn't be put down yet. Vet didn't think it was worth it for her to pay for x-rays as it will either get better or not get better and nothing else can be done. Thoughts suggestions anybody? It's killing me to see my mom and this kitten- saddest thing ever.

BTW- kitten is in NO pain. Doesn't seem to acknowledge anything is wrong. If you set it down it will drag it's hind end and try to follow you. Seriously saddest thing ever.

Thanks everybody. All prayers welcome! -Cat

Edited by Cat2, 19 June 2009 - 09:17 PM.

#2 Q horse

Q horse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

I sure hope your kitty is doing better. I had a cat that I found dragging his back end around, the vet did steroid shots also, and said it was wait and see. Oh yea, he did x-rays too, but they showed nothing.

I am sorry to say, mine did not get better, but we never did find out what happened to him.

I pray yours pulls through.

Let us know. angel3.gif
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#3 kidsncritters

kidsncritters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

We had the same thing happen to a cat. It was a barn cat but brought it into the house after it happened. Kept it quiet and in a basket. It took a couple of weeks but it started walking again. It always had a little dent in its spine but it moved pretty much like normal. Got well enough to go back to the barn and seemed to be happy. Hope your mom's kitten turns out the same.
We will keep praying for both.
Mary
Leave only hoof prints!

#4 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

kidsncritters- how long did it take before you began to see movement and did it completely loose movement? Thanks for the prayers! -Cat

#5 Margoddess

Margoddess

Master Mucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:58 PM

Young animals can recover if there was not anything actually severed. My girlfriend had a kitten that was partially paralyzed. It dragged its back end but was a happy kitty-purred and went outside whenever Nancy did with her gang of dogs and other cats-He was hurt by a dog when he was 5 wks old and never did walk correctly but could use the litter box. Nancy kept his back end clipped and wrapped him with cotton wool and gauze for the pressure sores he would get sometimes-He lived to be eight or nine. Friendly and would always purr when you picked him up and petted him.

I've had to put a couple down because of internal injuries due to trauma. And had two that died within 48 hrs of being shaken by neighbors dogs. Animals are not as disturbed as we are by physical disabilities...but the quality of life needs to be considered in the equasion somewhere--Prayers for you and your kitty-we have about thirty at our barn-we seen to be the unoffical no kill shelter for the cou nty-We've spayed/neutered and given rabies shots t-o 16 cats this month-PLEASE SPAY / NEUTER your cats. So if you need a good ratter let me know...
God forbid I should go to any heaven that is without horses.

Society can be judged on it's level of development in the way people treat other species-with kindness or cruelty.

#6 BethanyW

BethanyW

At Peace With My Inner Snark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:05 AM

I've had mixed experiences.

We had one kitten who was stepped on by a very large man and I feared that she would be injured beyond repair. She was up and moving almost normally by the second day.

Another kitten was actually thrown by a horse into a fence. He was not so lucky. He ended up with a very large hump in his spine and no control over his hind legs. The vet assured us he was not in pain so we fed him twice daily after he refused to stay in the house. He is seen to this day scrapping with the other cats and using only his front claws to climb rather well for his condition. We hae been told he will never regain use of his hind end.

Several other kittens were badly injured and I eventually put them down when it was obvious they could not move about well enough to use the kitty bathroom or get to food/water.

Please watch the kitten closely for signs that it cannot function on a basic level and consult with the vet.

I hope baby kitty recovers quickly.
Secret Society of the Snark Sisters ~ I'm the Slightly Sarcastic One

Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

Member of the 500+ Gang.

Proud Mom of Kings Poker Chic AQHA mare, Dirty Sunshine AQHA appendix mare, Saltys Charge AQHA stallion, and one grade gelding worth his weight in GOLD.

#7 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:17 AM

We had that happen to one of our barn kittens. She was playing and ran into an industrial fan while it was on. She got hit by the blade with no obvious damage. We then noticed her tail had become limp and she appeared to have no feeling in it, but she still was able to move all her legs. She wasn't taken to the vet right away, but was taken when we realized that she didn't have the ability to pass anything. The vet gave her a laxative and as she would walk, everything would just come out. We put her to sleep since it was ovbious she couldn't control her bowels. He didn't think there was a chance of recovery.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#8 jackie2925

jackie2925

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

I used to work at animal control and there were times that I saw dogs brought in that had been hit by cars. They had no use of their back limbs. We would cage them and help walk them with a towel under their belly to support it. Over a couple weeks I would say that 85% of them were walking again.

Give it time and see what happens.
Horseless

#9 Mia'sMom

Mia'sMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

Ditto to Jackie. Anytime the spine is injured the spinal cord swelling can cause a temporary paralysis; that's why you can't tell if the paralysis is temporary (swelling) or permanent (nerve injury). It can take a while for the swelling to subside and only then will you know if the kitten's condition is permanent. I would think that (just like humans) kitten bones are more "rubbery" than adult bones and harder to break too, so your kitten could improve.

Anyone out there ever shut their finger in a car door and yet nothing was broken?

There's definately hope that the kitten will get better!

angel3.gif

Paula
Horses: the best and cheapest therapy - Good for what ails ya'!

#10 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

I just talked to my mom and the kitten has started to tremble a little bit and hasn't passed anything since yesterday afternoon. She is getting set up to take it to a vet and unless they really think she should hang on for whatever reason she is going to let it go. No reason to make it suffer.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers. Please keep it up for my mom- she feels beyond terrible about this whole thing. -Cat

#11 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

Lots of good thoughts for your mom! I know she must just feel awful. huggy.gif

I accidentally slammed our kitten's tail in the door the other day. The little buggers are just so fast and silent, it is an easy thing to do! I'm so thankful that nothing other than my girl's dignity was seriously hurt. Your posting reminded me that it could have been much worse and I will certainly be more careful in the future.

Cadence Rhythm Beads is now on:
Facebook
and on
PhotoBucket

#12 Horse-Compassion

Horse-Compassion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

ya know the same thing happend to my mom and I she accidently closed a kitten in the door as well he went into like a sesure and his eyes roled into the back of his head it was scary we thought he was dieing my mom was freaking out but anyway after a few mins of that he came to and wasnt able to use his front legs he was cuaght by the door there and he didnt seem to be in pain or anything there wasnt any broken bones or blood but he was paralized for several hours then before we new it he was up and running like nothing happened cats are amazing healers expecialy when there kittens I hope all goes well with your kitten please give us updates!!!
Kisses, Krista

#13 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

I personally would've x-rayed this cat. Big difference in prognosis if there is a spinal or pelvis fracture than if there isn't. I too have had mixed results with these. Ultimately without a myelogram or an MRI there is no way to predict what damage occurred. As long as the kitten can urinate & defecate, there is no rush on a decision though.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#14 Cat2

Cat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

Hi everybody, just wanted to let you know. Mom took the kitten to the vet that afternoon. It pretty much slept all morning barely waking up even when moved. They decided to put it down as it had no ability to pass anything and was getting awfully full bellied. It also would hardly wake up and the vet said it was probably already on it's way out. Mom said it barely even woke up when they put the needle in. Very uncharacteristic of this kitten. Usually perma-awake and "talking."

Very sad but at least it didn't have to suffer. -Cat

#15 mydakota

mydakota

Ex-Con

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

Oh man. Hugs to your mom. (and you) I am sorry that is how it came out. huggy.gif
I got 2 wonderful horses at Emerald Valley Equine Assistance Horse Rescue.
Dakota-6 year old bay Quarab gelding
Macai-17 year old black Arab mare

May your horse never stumble, your cinch never break
Your belly never grumble, your heart never ache.

Until you learn to always take care of your horse before you take care of yourself, your horse can never be expected to take care of you. (Grandpa Thompson)

R.I.P. Kelso, Half Arab gelding B ? 1961, D 12-17-94 my companion for 23 years.
R.I.P. Nerak, Arabian gelding B March 1973, D 2-14-00 my companion for 25 years.
I will listen for your hoofbeats in heaven.

I met a few board buddies! MondaesMom, Andi, Audrey Mae, Silverdreamer3, Red Ripley, Beaucephus, Desperate Horsewife, Rodentra, Mrs. , xpasocorto, Scapoose, Paca Paca, Adoro Reina, Remy, LightningStrikesTwice and Quarterflash!

#16 kidsncritters

kidsncritters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

Sorry to hear about the kitten. It always hard but you know the kitten had the best care while your mom had it. Hugs to you both.
Leave only hoof prints!