• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 twn2

twn2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

what can you do to keep the urine smell down in your horse stall / barn? Is there something that you can give your horse by mouth to help? I've heard cider vinigar, but then also heard that if you give them cider vinigar & they get a cut it could cause them to be a bleeder or something like that. I do clean her stall 2x a day (in the am & pm). There is no flooring in the horse barn / stall -- it's all sand bottom -- we live in an area where it is all sand, no dirt! I've almost forgotten what dirt looks like :) I do have one small fan to try to help with air movement in the summertime -- doesn't do a hole lot of good, but...
Also, when you hose down your horse after a ride to get all the sweaty off -- should you start at the hooves and work your way up? I've heard this and this is what I do, but not sure if it is correct or if it matters.

#2 chele

chele

Stop Global Whining

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

Do you use any bedding at all? Shavings or pellets? When I used to work at a barn we used lime to kill the amonia stench. I think you can get it at a feed store or co op.

#3 aphachick16

aphachick16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

do you put any bedding down? That would help also there are some products made for the bad odor in stalls.

And about the hosing down thing.. its good to start at their feet because you are getting them used to the water instead of spraying their whole body with cold water.
My babies:
Bonita Diamond Royal--Montana-- 7 yo blk/whte paint mare
Millie on the Highway--Keyona-- 9 yo breeding stock mare
Hawks Highway Diesel-- 2009 grulla colt

It is not enough for a woman to know how to ride; she must know how to fall.

There is no secret so close as that between a rider and her horse.

#4 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

Sweet PDZ works well to control urine odor. I like it better than lime; I vaguely remember that you can compost the bedding w/ it, unlike w/ lime, but that's an old memory, so double-check.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#5 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

Lower the amount of protein in your horse's diet. Too much protein (as in more than the horse actually needs) is turned into amonia by the horse's kidneys. This causes the amonia odor and can also cause the urine to be cuastic enough to cause a bad case of 'scratches' on the horse's lower legs.

So, I would start out by cutting back on the protein and then, if the horse is still turning a lot of the extra protein into amonia, I would look for an additive like PDZ and add more bedding.

By the way, horses also drink much more water and produce a LOT more urine if they are over-fed protein.

#6 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

You start at the horse's hooves to lessen the shock of the colder water on his system.

Work your way up the legs and then the body just like you would do going into a cold lake or stream.

If you use lime on the bottom of your stall DO NOT use it unless you have bedding over it.

Lime goes ONLY ON THE FLOOR IN A THIN LAYER.
Then you cover it fully and thickly enough so the horse's hooves do not touch the lime.
Lime will dry out the horse's hooves and enough of it can give your horse a crack right up the foot to the point of bleeding.

I saw this^ happen when someone MIXED lime with the bedding thud.gif
NEVER DO THAT. Put the lime on bottom thinly and only on the wet spot, then cover with bedding.

I give my horses Apple cider vinegar everyday and have for the last 4 years.
It DOES NOT thin their blood and make them bleed out.

Vinegar thinning your blood is an "Old Wives tale".

The vinegar acidifies the body slightly and makes the animal's smell a bit less sweet to the insects wanting to draw blood from them.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#7 2pacers

2pacers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

You need to take out all the wet spots. bedding and whatever, and let it air dry as long as you can. Stall mats make this so much easier. I have mats down and its so easy to pick out the wet bedding. After its air dried, I use PDZ on mats (you can also use lime) and then cover w/ clean dry bedding. If you are feeding alfalfa hay, which is high in protein, the urine will have a higher ammonia odor.

I was told to always hose legs first to avoid shock to the circulatory system.
Posted Image

#8 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

I agree on the Sweet PDZ, under the bedding. I prefer the granular type, though the powder also works. Plenty of absorbent bedding, particularly where they urinate will really help keep too much urine from ever reaching the sand/footing.

If you share a little more about the situation such as if this is a stall, the type of bedding you are using, how often it's cleaned, etc. that would likely help with the suggestions you get!

Cadence Rhythm Beads is now on:
Facebook
and on
PhotoBucket

#9 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

Here's another vote for the Sweet PDZ. Great stuff.

#10 mspaints

mspaints

• Members
  • Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

Sweet PDZ, and cut protien down will help the smell. If you don't use bedding, it will take forever for the smell to leave. Air dry is best but if your horse is on it all the time you won't be able to get the smell out very easy.

Hose start at the feet so they don't get scared by the water hitting the body. Legs are all ways worse on my horses anyway.

#11 Tazzin

Tazzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,016 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:24 PM

I also use Sweet PDZ. I shovel up some of the soaked dirt (he always pees there the mat ISN'T!!) then sprinke the PDZ, then shovel some fresh DG over it, then the shavings. smileywavey.gif
Posted Image

Member of B.I.R.U.

There is no value and respect for love without experiencing heartache. No bliss without despair. No prosperity without failure. No loyalty without betrayal. No faith without abandonment. No passion without suffering. - Sean Getty Lowe

I met a board buddy - JrRodeoMom, brlracr624, caseygrey, GemEllie0613, JPParadiseRanch, Quincy's Keeper, HolyJeezers, Quartermutt, Silk, SkyFireDelight, HeGotSpots, Sweet Caroline and kidlets, Kina Kat, Lynnehall, Equi-Librium, LongingToRun, TrottingRightBehind, Driftin Mom, Driftin Cowboy, Driftin Cowgirl, Hi Tech Redneck, iluvspots, CindyP, Katy BlackJack, Mrs, Buck, Andi, Mondaes Mom, Jacks Dad, Buck, mrs, KatyCox. and probably many others whose screen names I don't know ;)

Psaint VF+ - 11 year old Arabian gelding. Cassels Olympia, 16 year old Arabian mare, Khassandra BWB, 7 month old Arabian filly