• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 redsnow

redsnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Just curious if anyone has plans/ideas for a show box. We found one plan for a box, it's way too big, and would take 2 guys to carry it empty. Only need room for feed, brushes, etc. for 5 days. I've still got 4 weeks to get it made, but sure would appreciate any tips. Thanks. timbo

#2 MyDaddysJag

MyDaddysJag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

I've always used rubbermaid storage containers. You can get big ones with wheels and the hole for a padlock for $18 at walmart. Its affordable, light, has wheels, is waterproof, and will never rot.

#3 redsnow

redsnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:45 AM

I thought about that, also thought about buying a big ice chest. Really it's for my little girl, she's showing her goats. Then I found out the box will be judged for her "showmanship". So, can't hardly send her down there with a plain-jane box. Guess I'll get a sheet of plywood and see what happens. Thanks, anyone else have plans?

#4 LMK1975

LMK1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

We used to have plans for our horses tack boxes. NOt really big enough for a saddle IMO. But that was in 1991. I can't find them now. But I still have the box! Maybe ask other 4h'ers or horse 4-h'ers. We all had to have matching boxes.

Edited by LMK1975, 20 July 2009 - 11:47 AM.

"Chip" - 2001 ApHC gelding

"A cowboy on a horse is a mighty romantic thing to a woman." - Tucker Yelldell in "Texas"

#5 redsnow

redsnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

Darn, I hope they don't all need to be matching boxes, nobody said anything about that to me. The one I'm building is "one of a kind". Finished the box part today, need to get hinges, and make a lid. It's about 34" X 18" X 14, give or take. I'm making it so a 5-gallon bucket will fit, gonna have a sliding shelf, plus room for junk on the bottom. Using 3/8" plywood, trying to cut all the weight I can. Not sure about handles yet?

#6 MyDaddysJag

MyDaddysJag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

Please take a picture when you have it done, I would love to see it!

#7 redsnow

redsnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:57 PM

Here's the finished (almost) box, that's the shelf, it'll slide from side to side.

In this pic you can see, I made a "door prop", door chain on one end. It's far from perfect, but hope it'll do the job. Should have room for feed, brushes, water hose, bug spray, etc. Need to do a little sanding, scrape off some of the grime, and let her paint it, then go around with some caulk, and add the handles. Full of sawdust now, I'm no carpenter but it don't look all bad.

Couple coats of paint, should be OK. And I've got almost 2 weeks to spare. hehe.

#8 LMK1975

LMK1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

Wow, that looks nice!
"Chip" - 2001 ApHC gelding

"A cowboy on a horse is a mighty romantic thing to a woman." - Tucker Yelldell in "Texas"

#9 palomino_overo

palomino_overo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

That looks nice. Depending on your (or a friend's) artistic ability, how about a farm name on the front and top with a goat head?
I met a Board Buddy: SpiffyGirl, robertbel1

R.I.P. : Quite A Ladys Man AKA "Rio" June 10, '95--May 24, '10

"There are two infinite things in the universe: the universe itself and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former."---Albert Einstein