2 replies to this topic

#1 Simple

Simple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

of a horse with/had laminitus.
And a horse with extreme navicular. I would like to recognize the signs. If someone could do that and give some info as well? It would help me a lot!
Thank you!

#2 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

Laminitis is a metabolic problem and concerns the sugar and starch present in the diet. The torque on the toe will stretch on the weakened white line. Thrush will move into the weakened white line and make it look black or moreso, eat it out and make it look like a trench. But mostly its pain akin to a toothache as the inflammation of the white line is inbetween two hard places of hoof and bone. The horse will be quick to show it...leaning back to get off his front toes, standing under to make the hinds help with the weight...reluctant to move and look like they're walking on glass.

This is a LF back in Sep/07. A barefoot trimmer had this foot for 6 months and I took this pic before I ever touched it and after I fired the trimmer. This horse is fat, low thyroid, huge cresty neck, mastitis, and miserable. I bred this horse and it was born in my barn. So sad. No amount of kicking this owner in the rear has improved this horse's situation. I fired the trimmer for how she left the hooves on this horse's companion. The trimming has been in a tight box on this hoof and still is..all the symptoms mentioned above remain to this day. She is standing on the edge of the cliff of founder and has been for a long time.

You can see the unmistakable prominence of the sole, how it bulges upwards as it leaves the wall, how shallow the groove is, how the white line is stretched and thrush has moved in. (This thrush is caused not by the environment as its sandy and dry, but metabolic. The same yeasty, plugged up, low pH acidic situation that has caused the mastitis etc. The diet is to blame for this thrush. Thrush coming from an internal source, not the outside environment.
That sole is prominent and convex because its trying valiantly to protect the bone on thin sole. To support the bone and prevent founder in the face of a badly weakened white line that's lost its integrity.

This is 10 months later and you can see that there is progress, but very slow. It should be transitioned by now, but the trimming box is still tight versus her comfort and the weak white line not much tighter because no matter the bevel, it just wants to splat and stretch and let go. My trim is literally holding this foot together. The frog is better, the hoof shape better, but still the sole and stretched, angry white line....still fat. The sole is yellow, sickly, and new looking. Moving in across the hoof like glacier in its determination to hold and protect. Its not going out, its coming in and staying there. I'm still in a tight trimming box, or should I say the owner is, I don't trim her anymore.

She was so spirited and "in like flint" to train. Now she'd just as soon bite you because she is so miserable. So sad. I think she's IR, headed for Cushings and death with a lot of suffering until then. Maybe I should go kidnap her, but all her horses are fat and she's killing them with kindness.

This one says it all.

Navicular is a broad term meaning some kind of pain at the back of the foot and the horse walks/stubs on his toes trying to stay off the heels. Only xrays will show what's going on and where the problem is as its internal. On my thread for Hero. "Missyclare's new visitor" there are xrays at the beginning that show navicular changes that I've pointed out with arrows.
Hope this helps.

Edited by missyclare, 15 July 2009 - 06:20 AM.

#3 Simple

Simple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

Thank you very much for those helpful pictures! Poor horse, that first picture it looks...gooey.
Thanks ever so much, missyclare!