• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Luv2runbarrels

Luv2runbarrels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:11 AM

Okay, my mare is 11 years old. She's been running since she was around 7. Over the last year or so, she's developed something while we run. Whenever we run, she pee's. ALL THE TIME. It's like when I kick her or spank her, she pee's. And she's not even the type of mare that goes in heat either. It's pretty disgusting, and it gets all over her back boots, and quite frankly, I'm tired of it. I thought maybe it was just kind of something small, but this year, it's gotten worse than ever. I just gave her two months off, thinking maybe she was just possibly getting ran too much (but I honestly, don't even run that much), and brought her back last weekend. When I am just riding around at home, I can practice barrels, and she won't pee. It's like only during competitions. I am going to be calling the vet this week, but I was going to ask you guys if maybe you possibly knew what could be going on?

I have had someone tell me, to get a can of coca cola, and open it up, and let it sit out for a few days so it gets flat, and then give her the whole can (8 oz.) and it'll help flush out her kidney's...because they thought it might be something to do with her kidneys.

It doesn't affect her when she runs, we're pulling faster times this year than we ever have. Someone said that if we got the problem fixed though, she'd run faster.

Another person insisted on getting her "sewed" up...but that's the last thing I want to do because I would love a baby out of her later on in her life. She's a fantastic mare. Willing to do anything, and tries her hardest 110% everytime.

If anybody has any thoughts, or input, let me know.

Thanks =)

Edited by Luv2runbarrels, 03 August 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#2 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:16 AM

She's been doing this for a year and you are calling the vet next week?

Seriously, Call the vet NOW.

Peeing and squirting are two different things.

If a mare squirts at other horses or winks and squirts and she is a high dollar race horse racing for big purses on the track; THEN you would THINK ABOUT sewing her up. Sewing her up is to keep her mind off breeding and on her job. That is TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN peeing.

I can't believe you have let your mare pee when she runs and don't see that this is a medical condition and that you need a vet.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#3 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

This is a sign of anxiety, usually related to pain. Probably her back or kidneys.
Spotted T Riding Blog

I've met board buddies! - Quincy's Keeper, Cutter123, LongingToRun, Cowgurl*, Horseygrrl, RoyalBTBs, RixKatToy, Blonde on a Warmblood, Tuckit, BrokeBackCoolBreeze, Forever in Blue Genes, NitrousForce, Holy Jeezers, Demon's Mom, Cowgirlartist, Draftiemama, PineBarSissy, Hastflicka, Shelly Carter, Pinky, Tuper, Flequus, Poldi, Rockabillygal, SmokeyJoe, BB Blue, Tab, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Florida Cowgirl, Little Cow, Tuck, Hoofs In Motion, Ratts, Notyo, Apps4Life, Lash, Loranbama, Heart Felt Farms, LuckE, First String Farms, The Sugar Lady, Spring Storm, SCspots, Runnin'Colors & Heidi n Q!!! That's 47, how many you got?

Posted Image

#4 JettyNJulie

JettyNJulie

Pit Bull Lover :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

My mare did this when her back was in pain. Or I was told it could be from drugging or kidney/bladder infections.
Posted Image
Thanks to Indestructible ;)

#5 Luv2runbarrels

Luv2runbarrels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

ManesNtails - Please don't just freak out like this. The ONLY reason I haven't called a vet is because it hasn't affected her performance in any way. Like I said - we have ran faster times this year that I ever have. And FYI, I've ran 6 times this year. That's it. So it's not like I'm running her out of her mind. I basically run her once a month, if that.

To the other two - Thank you for actually responding in a kind and helpful manner.

I have had her chiropracted, a few days before a show (since you can't ride them for 24 hours, for it to be an effective chiro session), and she still did it. So maybe it's the kidneys or a bladder infection.

And I've never ever drugged her in her life. She's been with me, since she was 5, and before I got her, she was just broke to ride.

Thank you.

#6 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

Honey,

That wasn't freaking out.

It's irresponsible to own an animal and see, with your own two eyes, that it has a problem and let that problem go "cuz it doesn't affect her performance"

Her performance is what the human cares about. What affects whether or not the human wants to be bothered riding that animal or not.

If you peed every time you ran you would take yourself to the Doctor IMMEDIATELY, but it's ok to let the horse suffer cuz "It doesn;t affect her performance."

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#7 Luv2runbarrels

Luv2runbarrels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

Ok, I do understand what you're saying.

I was just looking for some help or thoughts on what it might possibly be. Thanks.

I called the vet. Busy, till the end of the week (because he's a race-horse vet) So I will let you know what he says.

Edited to add....I'm not an irresponsible owner, thank you. And I'm pretty darn sure she isn't suffering, because if she was, she would tell me in other ways. I know my horse. She just ran a 20.7 in poles. Suffering much? I don't think so. But if you want to make me feel like an irresponsible owner, and what not, you can I guess. That's just a little harsh for you to say, without knowing someone. Just saying.

Edited by Luv2runbarrels, 20 July 2009 - 10:56 AM.

#8 barrelracer17

barrelracer17

Genuine Redhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

We had a horse in our area that did that and she was really sore. Far as I know they haven't competed on her in a year...the girl found another horse to run.

I don't think you're an irresponsible horse owner. I went thru the same thing...horse worked great at home just not anywhere else. Had the hocks injected and he was much better. Put him in a hackamore so I wasn't pulling on his face....way better. Got him calm and relaxed going in the gate and he's never been better. You just have to figure out what works for your horse and eliminate what could be causing abnormal behavior. Like you said, you've only ran 6 times this year and she doesn't do it at home. Could be anxiety/ulcers/pain....all of the above? Hope you get it figured out and hopefully it's not serious. =]

Edited by barrelracer17, 20 July 2009 - 12:08 PM.

Pippi Longstocking

~"If you are thankful for what you have, you'll end up having more.
If you concentrate on what you don't have you will never, ever have enough."~

#9 Luv2runbarrels

Luv2runbarrels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

Thank you barrelracer17. =) I appreciate it. Well I am going to have the vet look at her. See if he can figure anything out.

Usually I can tell when she is truly in pain. Because she won't want to run (alley way issues and what not.) That's when I know she needs chiropractered, and she'll run fine. She is a fast little mare. And people have said she'd be faster if I could get her over this problem. She has good legs. I've had those vet checked, and the vet said they're some of the best legs he's seen for her running a bunch of events. (We don't do NBHA so much, we do a thing in Washington called PSHA.)

And lately, she's been wanting to run, not giving any issues with the alley way. But I want to figure something out. The vets coming Friday, I believe.

But thank you for your comment, and I'm glad you got your horse working good for yourself! =)

#10 Corvette

Corvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

I know someone who owned a horse like this. NOTHING was wrong with her. SHE IS A VET's HORSE. She is 18 and still running.

#11 Luv2runbarrels

Luv2runbarrels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hmm. Interesting. I just would love to get her over it if I could. Because it is pretty gross. But, that's very interesting.

#12 barrelracer17

barrelracer17

Genuine Redhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

I'm in WA too, Central WA. You on the westside?
Pippi Longstocking

~"If you are thankful for what you have, you'll end up having more.
If you concentrate on what you don't have you will never, ever have enough."~

#13 Luv2runbarrels

Luv2runbarrels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

Yeah southwest. About an hour north of portland.

#14 MidMopaints

MidMopaints

Dare to be different

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

I know of a mare that does this exact thing ..every run. She has been checked out too. Its very wierd but she is always first or second.
Posted Image

Member of the I LOVE JASPER Fan Club! #3

Helmets save lives, get one that fits!--and if you fall replace it. They are only good for one fall.

Owned by
Paint Me A Lake aka Misty 1997 tobiano *Speed*
Loots Custom Harley 2005 Bay overo *APHA show circuit all around*
Loots Choclate Legacy(pending) aka Isabella - 2009 black overo*Yearling halter & longeline*

*In Loving Memory*
Kojack-8 yr GSD June 16, 2001- November 24, 2009
My pride and joy and my very best friend. I will never forget you.
I FINALLY met a Board Buddy!!!! SpiffyGrl

#15 Lindsay H

Lindsay H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

There was a mare around here that does that too. Shes been seen by countless vets, and there is NOTHING wrong with her. She runs great too.

Just because something changes dosent mean you need to call the vet like the horse is in the pasture dying. When my horse dosen't show me hes hurting, I assume he's fine. That dosen't make you a bad owner, it makes you sensible and not a waste of your vets time.

#16 Margoddess

Margoddess

Master Mucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

If your mare had a bladder infection her urine would be cloudy-(puss) - sore kidneys and pain will cause a mare to pee-my mare gets excited when she hears me come into the barn and pees-She's 26 years old.

As animals age some things stop working like they once did-after children my plumbing wasn't quite the same. So if there is no sign of infection a urine or blood sample can determine this...It's probably just that she's getting older-some feed and hay (alfalfa) will cause some horses to urinate more too.
God forbid I should go to any heaven that is without horses.

Society can be judged on it's level of development in the way people treat other species-with kindness or cruelty.

#17 Luv2runbarrels

Luv2runbarrels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

**Update**

I took my mare to the vet. He asked me questions about her, and I showed him a video of her running and what she does. He took a look inside her, and he said everything looked normal...

He said what was wrong with her, was very common in the race horses. She had a tipped uterus, and because of that, she was sucking air in through where she pee's, causing the urine to shoot out as she was running.

What he did to fix it was a Caslicks surgery. He sewed up about 1/2 of her, vulva I think is what it's called, maybe, maybe not, I was too intent on what the vet was doing to realize what he was calling everything. And he said there's no recooperation time, and that I could ride her off and go. Which I'm not going to do, I'm going to give her a week off, and then start riding her again.

He said it should fix her right up, and if i wanted to breed her later on, that all I had to do was bring her back, and they'd basically take scissors, and cut her back "open."

Hopefully it will be a success =)
I heard that once this gets done, horses run faster, too, because they are more focused on whats going on with their body than what they are actually doing. I will find out in a couple weeks, and update you all again.

#18 FL Cowgirl05

FL Cowgirl05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

glad you figured out what was wrong and fixed it!! hope everything goes well for you!

Tori<3

#19 DaisyTenPonies

DaisyTenPonies

Ive always been crazy ..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:57 AM

One of the nicest appaloosa barrel mares ive ever seen does this. A caslicks did not help her. Curiously ive seen more than one arena horse with this problem and not one track horse.

Hope it works out for your mare.

Cowgirls are the gypsy kind ..
They need their reins laid on them loose.