6 replies to this topic

#1 16barrelracer

16barrelracer

I'm not short, I'm fun-size!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

Last week, my horse's right eye was weepy and teary. There was no gunk or discharge, just a line of wetness on his face and he didn't have his eye all the way open. Weird. So, i cleaned both his eyes with a cool, wet cloth, and the next morning, the eye looked better. I cleaned both eyes again anyway, and in the evening when i came home from work, the eye was weepy and teary again! Same deal, I cleaned both eyes carefully and in the morning, it looked fine. I had no more trouble with the eye after that, but i was just wondering, what could have caused this? He is turned out 24/7 with a Kensington Bug Eye flymask on during the daylight hours, so i don't think it was caused by insects, so does anyone have any idea what could have caused it? Thanks for any advice!
I shook my family tree and a bunch of nuts fell out.

#2 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

Sounds like a dust or pollen allergy.

The damp of the night lessens both.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#3 16barrelracer

16barrelracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

but if it was dust or an allergy, wouldn't it have affected both eyes? it was just the right eye that i had this issue with. thanks for your input!

#4 manesntails

manesntails

just an Olllllld Hippie with a KILLER ***.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (16barrelracer @ Aug 6 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but if it was dust or an allergy, wouldn't it have affected both eyes? it was just the right eye that i had this issue with. thanks for your input!

Ah, Yes, I see I got confused since you said you cleaned both eyes.

Is it swollen and dripping or just dripping clear water?

May be just a small speck of something in his eye somewhere.

Snake "Murdering" a Specialty

---In the quiet light of the stable, you hear a muffled snort, the stomp of a hoof, a friendly nicker. Gentle eyes inquire:............................................. ..................................................."Got Carrots?"

I'm IN with the "IN-CROWD"
"Fight nonsense with nonsense, it works everytime~!!!"
I am living proof that God made some people just for the "Hades" of it..
now don't that sound dumb?
Give them what they want until they don't want it any more.....
Skrew you~!! I crap brilliance.

#5 hsparks

hsparks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

My pony had a similar problem last year. When I first bought him I noticed his eye was teary(clear) and somewhat closed. I thought is was bugs and such so I cleaned it and applied a fly mask. It never went away but did not get worse. Long story short. he had a blocked tear duct. I would say that if it persists, clear discharge, slightly closed eye you may want to get is checked out. They had to flush it out and I was given eye ointment to apply. It would also drain more with work. Good luck..

Heather

#6 16barrelracer

16barrelracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

Manes, no, it was not swollen or anything like that, it was just teary and he only had it half-open and was blinking quite a bit (sorry, forgot to add that in my first post) i guess there could have been something, like a tiny piece of hay or speck of dirt in there maybe.
Hsparks, thanks for that advice, but i don't think it was a blocked tear duct because like i said, i have not had any problems with the eye since then. i just looked at his eye a few minutes ago and it still looks fine, no problems now grin.gif hopefully the problem was just something irritating his eye and nothing serious. Thanks for your advice, guys!

#7 TracyA

TracyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

If it happens again, please call your vet out. The half open, teary, and blinking eyes suggest some discomfort. Hopefully it is something simple that resolved itself, but you are also describing some of the symptoms of a uveitis flareup. IF the horse seems light sensitive, keep him inside during the bright times of the day.

Tracy
I'm still a horse crazy teenager at heart!