Quantcast

Photo

Do Some Dogs Just Not Like Certain People?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JettyNJulie

JettyNJulie

Pit Bull Lover :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

Broo's post got me thinking. Rio had parvo when he was a pup. They had to put two things in his butt, plus gave him a very painfull shot in his muscle in his back leg.

When I took Rio back the next day he had me keep him in my car to avoid spreading the germs. As soon as Rio saw him coming up to the car he was instantly growling. I got in the back with him and held him when he got the shot. He is NEVER like this.

He was doing so well and eating so the vet ended his treatments.

I've had him back to the same clinic twice now. The first time, we got the other vet, who is married to the one who treated Rio for Parvo. Rio loved her! Was giving her kisses and everything.

The next time we had the original vet. As soon as Rio saw him and heard his voice he started growling at him. Now, I know what some of you guys may be thinking, but he is not an aggressive dog at all. My two and a half year old niece rides him and jumps on him. He only barks when people knock on the door, but not when we open it. (except for this one creepy guy who tried selling us a Kirby sweeper. Rio did not like him in our house.)

I held Rio's head as the vet examined him. I asked the vet techs to not touch him unless necessary because I didn't want him more upset. After we got done with the exam he let the receptionist pet him and love on him.

Now, does Rio remember the 'pain' the vet but him through, or are the some people that dogs just don't 'trust'?

Edited by JettyNJulie, 24 August 2009 - 06:14 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks to Indestructible ;)

#2 mehpenn

mehpenn

Christian Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,152 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

I believe some dogs just don't like certain people... for example, my acd mix does not like my sister's boyfriend... she has no reason to not like him but she tries to bite him everytime he tries to pet her. I also think horses are the same way....

~Mary~
Penley Farms

~*You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.*~

#3 Sol

Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

I think you're right. But I want to add something too. . . I think that dogs remember people that have hurt them in the past AND will associate someone else that looks like or smells like that orginial person.

Example: At Petco, I had my female Cane Corso Lacey with me and was absolutely terrified of this very tall (over 6 ft) black man. She loved this very tall black man's wife.

I have a ton of examples of this association stuff with Lacey.

"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." - Arabian proverb

I met a board buddie!!: fresianwelshx, Barnbarb

Stony Creek Cane Corso

Proud owner of Lacey, Vito, Luciana, Kara, Nox, and Ally - Cane Corso Italianos
Bella - JRT

#4 JettyNJulie

JettyNJulie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Sol @ Aug 24 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you're right. But I want to add something too. . . I think that dogs remember people that have hurt them in the past AND will associate someone else that looks like or smells like that orginial person.

Example: At Petco, I had my female Cane Corso Lacey with me and was absolutely terrified of this very tall (over 6 ft) black man. She loved this very tall black man's wife.

I have a ton of examples of this association stuff with Lacey.

Cane Corsos are beautiful dogs. I'd love to own one someday!
Posted Image

#5 Sol

Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:57 PM

Thanks. My guys are my kids.
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." - Arabian proverb

I met a board buddie!!: fresianwelshx, Barnbarb

Stony Creek Cane Corso

Proud owner of Lacey, Vito, Luciana, Kara, Nox, and Ally - Cane Corso Italianos
Bella - JRT

#6 t_air_e

t_air_e

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

one of my high school friends has a female boxer. He's had the dog for...4-6 years (not sure how long) to this day, the dog will bark and growl at my friend's dad. The dog has lived in the house, with the father, for the length of time that they've owned her, but she just does not like him
"Don't be afraid of making a mistake with your horse. We all do. An we're all forgiven. The biggest mistake is to succeed at doing nothing." John Lyons

#7 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,555 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Sol @ Aug 24 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree!
My boyfriend moved to Sonora, CA and had my dog for several weeks until I could get moved up there. He let her run around loose and she got SHOT. The area he let her run loose in is populated with biker-type people. Very rough and lawless.
Anyhow, when he called to tell me she'd been shot, I didn't believe him. It wasn't until I got up there and SAW her wounds that I believed him! 0_o The bullet had entered to the left of her spine, a few inches forward of her pelvis area and traveled through the top of her abdomen, exiting out her right ribcage, breaking several ribs. The vet explained (because I wanted to speak with the vet after I saw bf hadn't been pulling my leg) the bullet did a zig-zag around everything important and did no damage that required surgery. BTW, bf paid for *that* little adventure for letting her run loose and get hurt!
Anyhow, after that incident which happened when she was about 1.5yrs old, she would growl at any man who looked like a biker (leather?) or was wearing a ballcap. Even my husband (probably 3yrs after the original incident) if he were wearing a ballcap and she couldn't see/smell him for recognition first.
She also showed aggressive behavior towards motorcycles and bicycles. I do not know if that was brought on by the shooting incident or not.

I have read several Louis L'Amour books where the author described some gunshot wounds as having traveled under the skin, and I wonder if that is what happend to my dog, entering on the upper left side and exiting her right side, breaking some ribs. From the two hole-scars and the area of broken ribs, a straight line connecting the two would have involved her spine, but her spine was fine. Also, from the placement of the entry/exit wounds, the bullet would have pierced her abdomen AND chest cavity...wouldn't that have been a mandatory surgical repair? Collapsed lungs, at least?
...but none of that happened and she required no surgery at all...
So is it probable/possible that the bullet traveled under the skin but outside her body cavity?

I have the abilities of single-minded determination and pin-point focu... Hey, look! A horse!
croplegs0713.jpg

#8 Remy

Remy

The Old Un

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:36 AM

I think they do remember both good and bad memories, but I also think that they have a 6th sense that we humans have lost over the centuries. They can tell bad vibes from people as well as good. I guess we will never know.
A bay, a gray and a chestnut.
Rurutiki - forever in my heart
Home of Kranji Pioneer, now known as Comanche.

#9 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,705 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:50 AM

Research show that dogs have an intelligence of a 2 to 21/2 year old. Would you expect your 2 year old child to remember which doctor gave the painful shot? Of course they'll know and remember. The only times my girl has growled at peple was once when I REALLY didn't like the guy... and a couple of times when the person looked like a druggie -and with her reaction I'd guess they really were. What ever dogs can't smell, hormones tells them more than we know, they read in the body language.

Owned by:
'Mandy' Drybrucke's Amanda; GO, CDX, LP1, BH, CD, TD, HT, CGC (TD ink=Therapy Dog, HT=Herding Tested; Rottweiler)

'Diva', Drybrucke's Diva (Rottweiler)
'Michico' Rikardo KM (Paso Fino)

Kyle (Thoroughbred) dressage horse.
Breyer (Dutch Warmblood) dressage horse. Always in my heart. RIP, my friend.

Save the horses: The Brooke

#10 Sprite's Mom

Sprite's Mom

In the beginning, God created

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:09 AM

My BO has a dog that does not like me. I don't know why. I've never done anything to this dog, but I have to keep an eye out for it if it's outside, otherwise it will come up behind me, and try to bite me. Fortunately where I park to care for Sprite is away from the house, so I rarely see the dog-unless I need to go to the house for some reason.

#11 JettyNJulie

JettyNJulie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (hästflicka @ Aug 25 2009, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Research show that dogs have an intelligence of a 2 to 21/2 year old. Would you expect your 2 year old child to remember which doctor gave the painful shot? Of course they'll know and remember. The only times my girl has growled at peple was once when I REALLY didn't like the guy... and a couple of times when the person looked like a druggie -and with her reaction I'd guess they really were. What ever dogs can't smell, hormones tells them more than we know, they read in the body language.

I know that the guy trying to sell us the Kirby sweeper made all of us uncomfortable, but I LOVE my vet. Maybe it was his voice. He had kind of a loud traveling voice. Or maybe he really does remember.
Posted Image

#12 HeartFeltFarm

HeartFeltFarm

Sweet & Innocent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

I think some dogs just don't like some people. And I do think they remember people who have hurt them.

We went to a family thing at my husband's uncle's house not too long ago. His cousin had this itty bitty little yip yip dog named Shadow I think...that dog was a spazz. Would let everyone pet him...except for my husband. He actually tried to attack my husband probably 4 times in the hour we were there. For NOTHING. Wayne would just be standing there, and whammo, the dog would jump at his feet & try to latch on to his ankles.
Honestly? It was funny at the time. I was laughing so hard at this dog!!! Even Wayne was laughing. Because the dog was about the size of my fist. And Wayne is one of the kindest gentlest people I've ever met. Animals usually love him.
I FINALLY met some board buddies! Rockyforme, atankforme, and STORM! And now...ozland, rattusrat, Tuckaway, Jynx, SxyHyRidinCwgrl, MoodyHorses, KNJ, BB Blue, smokeyjoe, bella_notte, qhridinGA, draftiemama, draftiepapa, LongingtoRun, HorseLes, hastflicka, QTime, tuper, Shelley and Andy Carter, myraven00, littlebayroan, mrs, dixiecowgirl25, KatyBlackJack, Mr KBJ, Colspal, daisysmom, TrottingRightBehind, Driftin'Mom, Driftin'Cowboy, Driftin'Cowgirl, Lash, BarnBarb, PineBarSissy, Loranbama, flequus, Rockabilly, Demon's Mom, HoofsInMotion, SpottedTApps, and MixedUpTease! And *SQUEEEE!!!!!!!!!* I MET THREE STARS CORC!!!!! :D

http://www.etsy.com/...pyHippieTyeDyes

#13 Apps4Life

Apps4Life

Chief Turd Burglar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

Our old Lab/Husky mix hated my grandma.. he never went after her, but he always growled at her. It all started when they were first introduced and she spoke in a low menacing voice that he had mean eyes and she was shaking her finger at him.. from then on he was always growling at her. After a couple years he did calm down around her and would come up to her for food.. as soon as he was done eating he would rumble in his chest.

He also didn't like kids. As long as they were standing still and at an arms distance he was OK.. as soon as they ran around and rushed him he couldn't handle it.
Posted Image

BBs Met: ShezaSmokinGun, Mule_Freak's mom =), Kristina, Demon's Mom, SpottedT, MUT, Ratts, Notyo, HFF (and Bella), Pinky, Chey, Lora, Lash, Tuck, BB Blue, Hoofs In Motion, Got Barrels?, Meeker, Tuper, The Sugar Lady, Harley, journeysgirl, BuddyRoo, KatieMay, MizParker, DiamondJake, QuarterFlash, Andi, SweetAddiction, RunninColors, SCSpots, Heidi and FLEquus!

RIP Misty, thank you for teaching me so much

~Samantha~
My Tack for Sale

#14 SCspots

SCspots

Got Carrots?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

Dogs remember. Sometimes they generalize too much...you're lucky he doesn't hate all vets!

Duck, my rescue dog, is afraid of men. It took a long time for him to accept my husband, but even now after we've had him 10 months, he will go out of his way to avoid any man we meet. On the trail, if we meet hikers or other riders, he will go 25 yards out into the woods to go around them. He won't walk past them. Walking in the neighborhood, he keeps looking over his shoulder if there is a man walking behind us - even 2 blocks back! He sinks to the ground and trembles if a strange man stops to pet him. No problem with women. He refused to go past a house where there were roofers working. I picked him up and carried all 50 lbs. of him until we were two houses past them. He's come a long way, but I don't know if he will ever get over this. There's not a mean bone in his body, absolutely no aggression...he just avoids, or cowers. It's sad to see. I'd like to meet the man who had him. Or maybe not. I'd probably end up in jail for assault.

I took him to an animal behaviorist because he seems incapable of learning anything and basically doesn't act like any normal dog I've ever seen: No playing, no chasing, no happy romping.. He just wants to be with us 24/7 and will follow us around, sit and watch us. He's totally well behaved, wonderfully housebroken...but he sleeps a lot (basically most of the time)and doesn't even respond to treats. (I have to pry his mouth apart to give him one - even after all this time!)
What she told me is that this happens to dogs that have been punished and punished for no particular reason: They give up. It's like learned helplessness. Nothing they do stops the beatings, so they just shut down. They've learned that fighting back doesn't work, so they don't.
There's absolutely no aggression...but also very little curiousity, and no iniative. They just endure whatever happens to them. It's sad, sad, sad. This dog may never progress any further than he has now. He tolerates anything and seems to actively enjoy nothing except being petted. And he won't "ask" for that..he just likes it when it happens! He's easy to live with...and easy to love. It's just incredibly sad. He's only 3, but he remembers a man...and now he expects the same thing from all men.

I'm not a complete idiot - There are parts missing!

Charter member of the OMHC (Ol'meany head club!) and loyal minion to my Exhalted Henchman Andi!

#15 Model City

Model City

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

I do think there are some people dogs just don't like, whether it's from a previous memory or just a random dislike.

My dog, Ellie, will bark at people when they're smoking. She doesn't really bark or show aggression towards people (she'll sometimes try to run after/barn at joggers), but if they're actively smoking, she growls and barks.

Who knows why? I got her from the pound, so who knows what her experiences were before I got her.

As far your puppy, I think it's more a matter of him associating the pain of the shot(s) with the place, or maybe the way the vet smells, or if it's the same vet every time, the person him/herself. They remember things.
.Anna.
Twitter - I has it | Tumblr - I has this too

I'll Call You ("Corey")
May 20, 1998 - January 4, 2009

#16 ExtraHannah

ExtraHannah

Chief Stall Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Remy @ Aug 25 2009, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they do remember both good and bad memories, but I also think that they have a 6th sense that we humans have lost over the centuries. They can tell bad vibes from people as well as good. I guess we will never know.

I agree Remy! I totally trust Nikki's instincts. There are very few people she dislikes, but I trust that there is a reason and am on my guard around those individuals. It is very possible that they just remind her of someone that did something bad to her before I got her, but I think that much of the time there is more to it than that.

Cadence Rhythm Beads is now on:
Facebook
and on
PhotoBucket