2 replies to this topic

#1 Prancer&Onyx

Prancer&Onyx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:07 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm posting in reference to my 10 y.o. quarter horse mare, Onyx. I purchased her in January and we took her shoes off then. In February she foundered due to having to get steroids because she had strangles and purpura hemorraghica (sp?). I have been working with a barefoot trimmer in my area and she has been wearing boots and pads. I know she may have either foundered or at the very least did lose a lot of her white line connection in June due to spring grass. (My fault, learning curve). I have had her in RX boots which she just broke due to getting them twisted on her feet somehow. This was Monday and so I was walking her around barefoot and noticed she was doing much better. Still some ouchiness but oh my god, what an improvement. I know she still has thin soles and she is tender on the pea gravel in her sacrifice area. So I guess my question is this...I think she is walking good enough to go without boots, but there are times she has to walk on the pea gravel to get to her water or in her stall when the bugs are bad or its just so dang hot she wants to be in front of her fan. So have any of you had success using the keratox, keratex, however it is spelled. I read old posts and I can tell that venice turpentine seems a bit old school. So please, let me know your opinions. Oh and is keratox like durasole? Thank you all in advance. If there is anything else you need to know that you feel I left out, please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Donna

#2 SCspots

SCspots

Got Carrots?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

I've used Keratex on a thoroughbred with thin, brittle hoof walls. It worked wondrously well!!
He was also on Biotin+ and the combination solved his problem. Our farrier said he had never seen a horse grow such strong, healthy hooves in such a short time. He used to throw shoes and break off portions of hoof wall all the time. We are now contemplating pulling his shoes and letting him go barefoot. It will be the first time in 17 years he will be without shoes. I'm really worried about this, but as far as the Keratex goes, I would recommend it without hesitation. I have no knowledge of Durasole. His problem was with the thin, brittle hoof walls and we used to paint them with the Keratex.
I'm not a complete idiot - There are parts missing!

Charter member of the OMHC (Ol'meany head club!) and loyal minion to my Exhalted Henchman Andi!

#3 K. Blue

K. Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

I love Keratex. The stuff is amazing and I highly recommend it. I've used it on my gelding with great success. My horse that used to still gimp over rocks with pads on can now walk across them barefoot and not bat an eye (combination of Keratex and barefoot trimming).

I also recommend Farrier's Formula or Horseshoer's Secret for a supplement. FF is one of the only ones with many years of research behind it, but HS is basically the same thing and is usually cheaper.

When using Keratex, don't paint the frog or coronet band. The stuff is pricey (around $38/bottle), but you use very little of it at a time.

Good luck!
Proudly owned by:
~Quantum Leap (Spots), 20 year old Appaloosa Sport Horse gelding
~Indulgence (Indy), 6 year old OTTB mare
~A Knight's Tale (Ledger), Appy yearling

Auchmeddan Stable, Ltd.

*~*~*EVERY TIME, EVERY RIDE: I am proud to wear my helmet!*~*~*

I met board buddies!!!! BlueRibbonHunter2002, t_air_e, BarrelRacinChick127, HunterEquitation, JLHorseChic16, Clip-clop, CoolRabbit, Ricepaddle03, Revlon's Mom. rc_rosealetta, robertbel, and Daphne!