• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mye

mye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

I am building a trail teeter totter for my horse & can NOT find any information on how long it should be.

I don't want it to be any longer than needed, & of course, I don't want it to be too short.

Does anyone know?
For my healing, God gave me the peace & serenity of the woods. He gave me animals, family, friends. I love to be out in the woods on a horse. I love horse camping,... my dogs along of course. When family & friends come with me, what more can I ask?
Horse trails & camps in the northeast

Real dogs eat raw meat.
Real cats eat it too. . . and real ferrets
Animal Fare

#2 psychorabiddog

psychorabiddog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

Hi-How are you?I'll see what i can find out.Take care.Brian

#3 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:37 AM

Years ago, I made mine out of a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, 4' long sections of 2x4s and a 6' diameter peeler core (aka garden timber/poles) about 8 foot long for the teeter section. A couple of lag bolts and some deck screws held everything in place.
If you start off with the peeler core set into a 3-4 inch deep "ditch" the height that the teeter-totter tips up and down will be less and will make your horse feel more secure. For a real skittish horse I set it to tip about 1/2 inch and then tossed in more and more fill dirt underneath as the horse became comfortable qith the angle and amount of up/down movement.

Have Fun!!!!!
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#4 NCTrailgirl

NCTrailgirl

Dare to be Bare...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

Lets see if this pix comes thru..

It's a pix at our training course.. I don't know the dimentions, but I do know the main supports are 6x6's So that should give you a rough idea of the size.

Proudly Owned By:
1995 TWH 'Charm', Chestnut - Gelding
1998 SSH 'Hotball', Black & White - Gelding
2000 SSH 'Kierra', Black & White - Mare
2004 SSH 'Saphira', Black & White - Mare
1986 AQHA 'Monty', Sorrel - Gelding - RIP my dear friend 5/17/08

NC ~ TN Trail Riding Buddies

Back Country Horsemen of NC

I've met Board Buddies!! Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, Hobbles and Mrs. Hobbles, Trinity, Yee Haw, Loverofhorses36, TequilaSkye, Blue Skye Traveler, edenn3583, brlracr624, smooth4me, KatyB

"All horses can go barefoot, but not all owners can." ~ Cindy Sullivan

#5 mye

mye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

Thanks guys for your input.
We've got one made... finally.
All 3 horses walk right across it. Guess I need to make it higher for more challenge. Only problem was the slipping on smooth wood. Same problem with wooden bridges out on the trail. For now I'm going to sprinkle some sand on the surface. I'd hate to have them become affraid to cross it because they slipped.
For my healing, God gave me the peace & serenity of the woods. He gave me animals, family, friends. I love to be out in the woods on a horse. I love horse camping,... my dogs along of course. When family & friends come with me, what more can I ask?
Horse trails & camps in the northeast

Real dogs eat raw meat.
Real cats eat it too. . . and real ferrets
Animal Fare