Quantcast

Photo

How To Get Rid Of A Hay Belly On A Weanling?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

Living life with the ponies!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

Ok Knight is 6 months old and i have wormed him every month as instructed my the vet with Ivermectin and Safe Guard so i don't think he is wormy. he has free access to hay 24/7 so i think it's a hay belly. How do you make it go away? I know i can't really exercise him hard so what do you do?

Here is the last pic i took of him.

It's actually bigger now. He does not look proportioned. He eats Alfalfa pellets in the morning 1/2 scoop and Heritage professional 1/2 scoop in the evenings this feed is the same as safe choice just without the price tag. I know he is growing but i am i panicking for no reason or should i be worried?

#2 Cactus Rose

Cactus Rose

Mountain Trail Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,565 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

A hay belly - to me - and ON ME for that matter crazy.gif is just indicative of lack of muscle tone.

A person could always pony from another horse or an ATV I suppose.....but I really don't see it as an issue.

He doesn't look overweight to me....matter of fact he looks like a very pretty colt in shiny condition.

CR
♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Shut Up & Enjoy The Music ! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

#3 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

I guess i am being a worry wart. He has been so cute from the start and he is changing and i guess i don't want to see him ugly LOL. although i know most horses do the ugly growth thing i don't want to see it with him. I am silly i know.

Here is another pic

Edited by Halo's Mom, 14 September 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#4 Cactus Rose

Cactus Rose

Mountain Trail Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,565 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

Dang that's a purdy colt !

I'm thinkin' you need to take two aspirin...........and call me when he's pushin' three years old so I can come and pick him up..............

winking0073.gif
♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Shut Up & Enjoy The Music ! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

#5 Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

I don't see a hay belly. Just a baby belly.
Are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Add 5000+ posts to my count.

#6 reinnin4fun

reinnin4fun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

First I don't see anything wrong with the photo, looks good to me.

A hay belly will come on some horses that are eating a large quantity of (possibly) lower quality hay, they eat more bulk and it fills them out as it moves through the digestive system. If those same horses where to be put on a given amount of high qaulity hay, with possibly grain (concentrates) they may lose that belly and instead gain fat allover.

The true hay belly to me is when you can see the ribs but the horse has a huge belly as well. Eating a lot of hay in the effort to get the nutrition or just boredom, maybe.

#7 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I also see no hay belly in those photos! If you are worried, get him more alfalfa pellets and less grass hay.
Show me your horses and I will tell you what kind of person you are.

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall gently on your fields.

Run Chicken Little RUN!

Knowledge is power
I met boardbuddies! Bryna, lpalomino, scapoose, wrangler, mydakota, Andi, Reiner0227,silverdreamer, Rodentra, desperate horsewife, Remy, xpasocorto, PacaPaca, Equuzen, Lightning strikes twice, and VAQHMA!
Mandy Eagle '03 Paint mare
Elfin Magic '86 Saddlebred mare
Settn the Hotrod Bar '07 QH gelding
Raisn the Hotrod Bar '08 QH gelding
Meko '88ish pony mare

RIP Sweet Vaga
Poco Vaga Bar
4/2/86-3/27/09
RIP Phoenix
CT Booger
2/2/02-8/28/09

http://fishycitysupplies.webs.com/

#8 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,315 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

Looks like a normal weanling to me, and I have 5 of them this year. If you are worried about it, get him some probiotics, it won't hurt anything.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#9 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

I need to take new pictures. I will get some today and post them tomorrow. See it has gotten worse since i took these pics. I was looking at him from behind on Sunday and he has a pot belly. he is not skinny anywhere and you can't see his ribs but the belly is sticking out which is what makes me think he has a hay belly not wormy. I will get more pics this evening.

#10 Kristina

Kristina

Cowgirl Up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

I see no hay belly, but one cute little colt.
Buck (Appaloosa)
(RIP)

Proud owner of my second horse- Sarge, QH/T-bred, 8 years old, 15.3hh chestnut gelding

Heart Breakin, Horse Breakin Cowgirl!!!

Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Live each day to the fullest, like it's your last and don't be afraid to cry.

I met a Board Buddy... Ride 18, Apps4Life

#11 Sprite's Mom

Sprite's Mom

In the beginning, God created

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (reinnin4fun @ Sep 14 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First I don't see anything wrong with the photo, looks good to me.

A hay belly will come on some horses that are eating a large quantity of (possibly) lower quality hay, they eat more bulk and it fills them out as it moves through the digestive system. If those same horses where to be put on a given amount of high qaulity hay, with possibly grain (concentrates) they may lose that belly and instead gain fat allover.

The true hay belly to me is when you can see the ribs but the horse has a huge belly as well. Eating a lot of hay in the effort to get the nutrition or just boredom, maybe.

I don't see a hay belly either. And, I have to agree w/this. When you have a poorer quality hay, the hay will accumulate in the cecum. It can stay there for up to 72 hours, and the cecum will become expanded. Switching to a better hay should get rid of a hay belly.

#12 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

I also don't see a hay belly. You can't compare him to a weanling that has been fitted up to show
I also agree that feeding a higher quality hay works for young growing horses because they just don't have the bowl volume to process large amounts of lower quality hay and derive enough protein to meet their growth demands
I believe it is advised to feed at least hay that is 14% protein to young growing horses-combined with the right amount of minerals to support that growth
Raising attractive , athletic Appaloosas, equally at home in the show ring and on the open trails
Cody Chrome Supreme member of the breed( superiors in trail,halter western pleasure hunter under saddle )
San Stone Image superiors in reining, western riding and trail
Miss Kilo Bright ApHC championship ROMs western pl, trail, HUS , hunter in hand, halter
A New Dimension three year old filly presently working with
Awarded With love 6 year old mare by Awarded, riding well and proven producer
Frankie hubby's senior trail horse
Rubix Hubby's jr trail horse
Dont Skip The Cadence by don't Skip This chip-three year old in training Sold
Mex , Dun Boy and Image, three yr old prospects

http://s335.photobuc...home/KiloBright

#13 Foxie

Foxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,374 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

You can send this poorly starved, abused, and neglected boy to me and I'll fix him up. ;) Just no returns! - He looks great. Just a growing boy!
United States Army - Military Police - Hooah!
~ Current New Adventure: From Military Police to Civilian Police Officer, oh boy.. here we go! ~

#14 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:51 AM

Ok got more pics of the baby LOL i swear he has a big belly and looks crappy to me but what do i know.

Now from the back i don't see it just from the side

I know i am nuts

As far as the hay he gets great quality bermuda hay i make sure they get the green stuff nothing nasty they get round bales and free choice of this stuff and they eat every bit of it.

Edited by Halo's Mom, 23 September 2009 - 08:53 AM.

#15 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

I still don't see a hay belly. Looks like a normal, happy, healthy weanling to me!

#16 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:25 AM

Ok then i am a dork! I guess i am just wanting him to bloom and since he is growing he looks doofy to me lol.

#17 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

Weanlings do reach ackward growth spurts, and combine that with them not shedding out fully that first year (at least in our climate zone), they can appear rather scruffy compared to the rest of the horses
he does have a bit of a belly, which if it really concerns you could go with an alfalfa second cut hay and a grain ration.
Soon as you feed for optimum growth though, the amount of minerals and percentage become more critical
Horses can be fed for maximum growth, but only if they have the right amount of minerals to support that growth, and that is where people get into trouble.
A slower growth rate is more forgiving of mineral imbalances and slight deficiencies
Free excercise and play go along way to conditioning the weanling 's muscles and joints, and weanlings raised on ample pastures , allowed to play with fellow weanlings , do develope fittness and tone which is never possible with confinement
Raising attractive , athletic Appaloosas, equally at home in the show ring and on the open trails
Cody Chrome Supreme member of the breed( superiors in trail,halter western pleasure hunter under saddle )
San Stone Image superiors in reining, western riding and trail
Miss Kilo Bright ApHC championship ROMs western pl, trail, HUS , hunter in hand, halter
A New Dimension three year old filly presently working with
Awarded With love 6 year old mare by Awarded, riding well and proven producer
Frankie hubby's senior trail horse
Rubix Hubby's jr trail horse
Dont Skip The Cadence by don't Skip This chip-three year old in training Sold
Mex , Dun Boy and Image, three yr old prospects

http://s335.photobuc...home/KiloBright

#18 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

He lives in a pasture 24/7 with a yearling and my old gelding Kon in a herd situation he has about an 1 acres to run and play with them which they do. Alfalfa here in Oklahoma is a bad deal the real stuff gets blister beetles. i do give them Alfalfa pellets in the morning. and grain in the evening his diet is mostly forage with some grain. I was using he ADM grow strong minerals and Show boost RB but i can't seem to find that stuff near me without paying 70.00 in shipping. He was looking awesome when he was on that stuff so maybe i just need to get him on it again.

Edited by Halo's Mom, 23 September 2009 - 01:01 PM.

#19 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

I do see what you are talking about, and I do understand why it bothers you! I like my babies to have slim, trim bellies too! Ditto smilie, more protein content. He really doesnt look bad though. I have seen FAR worse here on HC, and shockingly there are many people who think a ribby, gutty weanling or yearling is acceptable and normal!

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall gently on your fields.

Run Chicken Little RUN!

Knowledge is power
I met boardbuddies! Bryna, lpalomino, scapoose, wrangler, mydakota, Andi, Reiner0227,silverdreamer, Rodentra, desperate horsewife, Remy, xpasocorto, PacaPaca, Equuzen, Lightning strikes twice, and VAQHMA!
Meko '88ish pony mare

RIP Sweet Vaga
Poco Vaga Bar
4/2/86-3/27/09
RIP Phoenix
CT Booger
2/2/02-8/28/09

#20 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,315 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

I don't do ribby. I prefer them a bit chubby this time of year, and free choice hay is better than too much grain and messing up young joints. They DO soon grow out of the haybelly stage.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#21 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

Thanks everyone i love him no matter what hay belly and all LOL... He is such a sweet colt i just hope he stay's that way.

#22 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

I wasnt saying he was ribby or gutty lol. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Run Chicken Little RUN!

Knowledge is power
Meko '88ish pony mare

RIP Sweet Vaga
Poco Vaga Bar
4/2/86-3/27/09
RIP Phoenix
CT Booger
2/2/02-8/28/09