6 replies to this topic

#1 t_air_e

t_air_e

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

Hey guys, I had a friend email me this question earlier today and I don't know what to tell her. she just purchased 2 geldings a week ago. One is a 15ish appy gelding and the other is a 5 year old appy gelding. Both of them came from the same place and both of them had lived together for several years (Lady owned the older gelding for 10 years and the 5 year old for 4 years). anyway, the owner noticed yesterday that one of the horses had orange pee and saw today that it was the younger one. Currently, both horses are out on pasture. They get that supplemented with hay (probably a tim/orchard) and water. The water is sulfury as that is the kind of water in the area.

anyway, any suggestions?
"Don't be afraid of making a mistake with your horse. We all do. An we're all forgiven. The biggest mistake is to succeed at doing nothing." John Lyons

#2 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

Is the urine discolored in the stream or once it hits the ground, especially in shavings? If the stream itself is discolored, a urinalysis is probably in order. Its probably nothing more than overly concentrated, but better to err on the side of caution, as urine discoloration can indicate liver issues (bilirubinemia), tying up episodes (myoglobinuria), or kidney disease (hematuria).

If its discolored once it hits shavings, its likely normal oxidation. We have this question pop up every winter when urine hits snow.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#3 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

If he's not used to the water, he probably isn't drinking it so he's concenrated his urine.

CVM, would it be appropriate here to add salt to this horse's diet considering he may not want to drink the water?
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#4 t_air_e

t_air_e

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

I don't think it's in the shavings since he's out 24/7 with shelter. I got to her house soon after the horses arrived and I do know that he would play in the water, but I'm not sure he drank any-just splashed a lot. She does sound like she's planning on getting the vet out soon, so I'll let you guys know what I know.
"Don't be afraid of making a mistake with your horse. We all do. An we're all forgiven. The biggest mistake is to succeed at doing nothing." John Lyons

#5 t_air_e

t_air_e

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

what about black walnuts? She has a black walnut tree outside of the pasture, but the leaves are starting to fall and some of them are in the pasture.

#6 simply kim

simply kim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:16 AM

The only problem I have ever heard with Black Walnut is bedding them with sawdust made from it can cause laminitis.Any red Maples around?

#7 Zinge

Zinge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

At my old barn my horses had orange urine on the ground, freaked me out. I had sulfur water. I spoke with a gal (a friend) from the county department of land and soil. Anyways, she had horses too. She told me it was my soil, not necessarily my horses urine. The sulfur in my soil caused my horses urine to look orange when it hit the ground. And of course they were drinking the sulfur water too. So although your friend should do whatever she needs to get peace of mind because there is always a chance of a problem, the good news is, it may be nothing at all.