• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mkueper

mkueper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

I have a quick question about rain rot.I live in centrel Il and we have had so much rain this year that every body is dealing with rain rot,it has been a horrible year.Does anybody have any good treatments for it.My horses have a big barn they can get into when they want but they hardly ever use it so their coats are never dry and with the winter hair they are starting to get rain rot and iodine is hard to come by and I don't like the blue stuff the vet gave me it really don't work,and it is starting to get cold.They don't have the kind that the hair falls out in patches,it is the little bumps that have a scabe on it and if you pull the scab off it is kinda moist.Any advice would be helpfull,a lot of people are struggling with it this year.

#2 Mels

Mels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

Shapley's M-T-G ... Best Stuff EVAR. Our Fjord ponies got eat up with it bad on their backs and hindquarters....I used it ONCE and last time I checked they were all cleared up. It's oil based so it won't just "wash off" next time it rains.

I squirt it on and use a good curry comb to really work it down in the hair to the skin.

http://www.jefferseq...amp;pf_id=12006

Oh and wear some gloves...or don't get it on your hands. It smells...like bacon or a smokehouse or something and even after you wash your hands, they'll still stink.

You can also get Iodine shampoo from Jeffers.

http://www.jefferseq...p;pf_id=0027753

Edited by Mels, 18 November 2009 - 02:44 PM.

I wanna be a cowboy's sweetheart.
I wanna learn to rope and ride.
I wanna ride o'er the plains and the desert,
Out west of the great divide.
I wanna hear the coyotes howl,
While the sun sets in the west.
I wanna be a cowboy's sweetheart,
The life I love the best.

Are You Gonna Cowboy Up, Or Just Lay There And Bleed?

#3 SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

Hotter than fish grease...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

I will say this once:

MTG is NOT A CURE FOR RAINROT. It is a product to aid in HAIR GROWTH. It is not an ANTIFUNGAL. Rainrot is a FUNGUS. Putting a hairgrowth product on it will not cure your horse.

Using MTG for rainrot is like using rogaine for athelte's foot.

When MTG seems to "cure" rainrot all it means is that the horse's immune system got rid of the infection and you helped the hair grow back.

I use Betadine scrub in combination with microtek shampoo in the black bottle. I put on the shampoo (which is clear) and curry to a lather with a pimple mitt and then squirt batadine on and curry into an orange/rusty colored lather. The batadine by itself runs off and the shampoo by itself doesn't always kill the fungus.

I also spray the affected area throughly with 70% rubbing alcohol and rub it in. It helps dry out the damp skin surface and kill the fungus at the same time. It also helps the coat to dry out faster than just water alone.

Reese - '07 black half welsh mare
Lucy - '06 dark bay Zweibrucker mare

Benjamin - now running in greener pastures - '89-'10 bay TB gelding

Real-Life board buddies: KoolKatsGirl, TheBigRedDog, LostHorseRider, Storey, Texan Jumper, Duke of Hazard, QH_LUV_R, FarmGirl-824, and morningdusk.

"Throw your heart over the jump and the rest will follow." -Dion Dana

#4 Mels

Mels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (SmileItLooksGoodOnYou @ Nov 18 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will say this once:

MTG is NOT A CURE FOR RAINROT. It is a product to aid in HAIR GROWTH. It is not an ANTIFUNGAL. Rainrot is a FUNGUS. Putting a hairgrowth product on it will not cure your horse.

Using MTG for rainrot is like using rogaine for athelte's foot.

When MTG seems to "cure" rainrot all it means is that the horse's immune system got rid of the infection and you helped the hair grow back.

Well, alrighty then. My vet is actually the one that got me started using it and it says clearly on the bottle: "It is also a dermatitis treatment recommended by veterinarians for a variety of skin problems including: fungus, rain rot, girth itch, scratches, dandruff and tail rubbing."

I had a pony that had fungus on his face that his "immune system did not just get rid of." We started the MTG and he got better.

I used nothing else on the Fjords, but the MTG, so I guess their immune system just magically healed their skin.

I wanna be a cowboy's sweetheart.
I wanna learn to rope and ride.
I wanna ride o'er the plains and the desert,
Out west of the great divide.
I wanna hear the coyotes howl,
While the sun sets in the west.
I wanna be a cowboy's sweetheart,
The life I love the best.

Are You Gonna Cowboy Up, Or Just Lay There And Bleed?

#5 uglydog

uglydog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

Yeah we have used the MTG and Rain rot and many other issues with great success too.

It is the sulphur in the MTG, that helps with skin problems, works on dogs too.

#6 theaussiecowgirl

theaussiecowgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:49 PM

Betadine is the best for this,if you do it daily for a week it should be gone.Also i use baby oil to help get the scabs off and it clears pretty quick and apply the betadine again directly onto the scab.

#7 Pure Country Singer

Pure Country Singer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:00 AM

Vetricyn is supposed to cure rain rot as per the ad they run on RFD-TV
haven't needed it thankfully !!!
P.C.S.

#8 vicklynn

vicklynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

My horses both got rain rot this yr.
I used iodine shampoo and then used MTG.
If your area is cold, like it was here. I only spot washed the withers to the tail bone and down the sides a hair.
I used a hot bucket of water with the iodine shampoo, using rags, then rinsed with clean buckets of hot water, using rags again. I then towel dried, then put MTG on when hair was dry.
I hear, but do not know for sure, that you dont have to rinse diluted iodine shampoo. Id check on that first if that is an option.

I then continued on with loosening the scabs and using MTG.
One horse cleared up right away, the other took a couple weeks.

Dont forget to clean your brushes, blankets(if youve had them on the horses) cause the fungus will still be on them.

Right now I use 2 different brushes on my horses and clean between brushing. I will do this until I know they are 100% free of the rain rot.
Im probably being a bit anal about that, but I just wanna make sure.

Proud owner of Mystic, 7 yr old Tobiano Pinto mare

I met a board buddy, Dixiecowgirl, Wildmare, DriftenMom, Goldpiper, Scrimbaby.
MOBB crew Robertbel1, JustMe & Hubby, Skippen & Grandson, Hoofsinmotin & Son, Spiffygrl, Loud Appy.
What a great forum we have :)

#9 Tuckaway

Tuckaway

Dog Whisperer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,497 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

When I bought Amber she had it.
I mixed 1/2 Listerine, 1/4 water and 1/4 baby oil all together in a spray bottle. And sprayed her morning and night with it.

Tohi,

"Tuck"

Posted Image

#10 glm0711

glm0711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

I have heard the MTG debate over and over again. I have never used the stuff b/c of all the bad things said about it UNTIL this year when I took in a rescue that was covered in rain rot. I just was so overwhelmed with how much rain rot he had and I was told over and over by so many ppl to try it so I did. I have no idea if it "cured" the rain rot but i did find that when the affected areas are covered with the stuff then left to sit for a day or two, the scabs are SO much easier to pick off. So for me the MTG helped to soften the crude and then I was able to use an iodine solution to clean the area. He's not cured yet, but certainly headed in that direction!
To teach is to touch a life forever.

#11 mspaints

mspaints

• Members
  • Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

I have all ways used Listerine and it has worked everytime. I recommend it to everyone that asks me. My personal vet recommends it as does the Vets I work for. It is cheap because you can buy the cheap generic stuff and it works the same as the name brand. I keep it for ANY kind of skin funk and can not use any kind of oil because we have paint horses that will burn if they have oil on them. Listerine has cured rain rot, girth itch, tail rubbings, some kind of fungus from rodeo pens, dermititis from allergies and summer funk. I will only use it when there is a skin something going on in any of my horses. It doesn't stain and turn our white horses orange like betadine does and is a lot cheaper then Nolvason (what is recommended for rain rot - blue stuff sold by vets) so I use it. I haven't had any horse ever that didn't heal within 1-2 weeks with this. This is just what I use and is my opinion and what I recommend to everyone so please if you don't like what I said that's your opinion and everyone is allowed their own thoughts. Good luck with you horse and I hope it ends well.

#12 DraftyGirl43

DraftyGirl43

• Members
  • Pip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

My mare had rain rot really bad on her legs this winter and I called the vet. They gave me furazone with a few extras mixed in. However I've used it before without the extra medicine in it and it still works well. I put it gererously on the affected areas, rubbing it in gently and picking scabs off as I go. I did this every few days for about 2-3 weeks and it's almost cleared up.
Cooper - 2003 Spotted Draft
Cheyenne - 1999 Quarter Horse

#13 mspaints

mspaints

• Members
  • Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

Someone asked me 2 weeks ago about this topic and I told them Listerine and they called me last night and said it took less then a week for it to work on their horse. I belive it's the quickest and easiest way yet. I try not to use Furazone salve now since they have done testing on lab animals with it and it produces Cancer in them when used for sores and wounds. I know everyone has all ways used it and I did to until the last year. Just a thought you should know about.

#14 bex DK

bex DK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

Will any mouth wash do or is it a particular ingredient we need?

#15 mspaints

mspaints

• Members
  • Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (bex DK @ Mar 20 2010, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will any mouth wash do or is it a particular ingredient we need?

Any type of mouthwash that has the antiseptic properties that listerines has in it. I buy the generic store brand that is a lot cheaper. It's all the same generic or name brand so buy the cheapest and it will work the same. Good luck.

#16 indiziequine

indiziequine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

twitch.gif Rain Rot. yuck. We had two rescues we brought home about four yrs ago. We worked with a vet and this is the way we went. Surgical scrub. he gave us a gallon. everyother day until the oozy spots started drying off. then we tapered down because winter set in and the scub ran out.
Then the old timers took over with their advice and the vet tech. mouth wash rinse. Be careful because I experienced a very intoxicated horse and she was not a gracious one. crazy.gif
We have a system that goes into effect in early spring till the rain stops in early summer. We get several bottles of iodine, which you can obtain from most co-ops(Farm)Iodine is now mixed to keep meth heads from using it. It still works. We mix it with the shampoo we are using at the time. Something mild. We really enjoy washing our horses. more they they do. so we scrub them up then rinse thouroughly. After all that we would pour the mouthwash over them massaging it all through thier coats. some will leave that on but because my horse is some kind of funny, I rinse her then condition her coat because all treatments are harsh to the hair and skin. After she drys we apply the mtg. yes the sulfer does the rest in mtg. yay.gif
 Email meWithout God there is no justice; without justice there is no peace.

#17 Tigger'sGotGame

Tigger'sGotGame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

I have used MTG, Listerine, and white vinegar all with great success on fungus etc. MTG actually does work on alot of things, I use it mostly to grow hair, but it works really well on rainrot.
"Aries to a Sheik"- Frost, 2009 APHA Red Roan Overo Gelding.
ND's Silver Bullet- Bullet 2008 Weimaraner

www.lopetx.org
"If you come to Texas and kill some one, we will kill you back!"- Ron White

Legalize it and tax the heck out of it!

#18 painted.cowgirl.524

painted.cowgirl.524

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

I've definitely seen great results with MTG too.

Also, I spray down all of my western saddle pads with athlete's foot spray since it has an anti-fungal, and clean all of my tack and halters regularly during the rainy season. We had a case go around my old training barn and nobody could figure out why we couldn't get rid of it, but some girls weren't cleaning their tack.

#19 BHQH

BHQH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

The Vetericyn worked really well for me. Brought a mare and colt in that was covered in rain rot, so we put the Veterycin on them 3 times a day and after about 3 days, they were both cleared up.

#20 Nikki6293

Nikki6293

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Theres a spray I use and I cant remember the name right now but it comes in a black and pink bottle and it works amazing!