11 replies to this topic

#1 hsparks

hsparks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first bag of beet pulp (shredded). It is the kind with the molasses in it, not plain. My husband actually bought it for me and I'm not sure if the one with the molasses is the right one to get. Although I've heard, correct me if wrong, that a lot of horses won't eat the plain stuff.

Anyway just wanting some tips on how to start feeding this stuff. I know about the soaking. Just wondering how much to start feeding and what is a normal end ration. Horse in question is an 11yr old QH gelding, about 1200 lbs. He is only on grass hay and water with loose salt being provided. He has 24 hr turnout and is ridden lightly throughout the week, about 2-3 times at about 1 hr each time.

Just wanting to keep weight on him this winter. He is by no means a hard keeper but had lost some weight this fall due to some teeth issues and did not put on the weight I had hoped for before the really cold weather hit. He is at a good weight now just not as chubby as he usually would have been this fall. So this is not for major weight gain, mostly just to maintain and maybe add a few.

Thanks in advance, Heather

#2 Bumper

Bumper

Evolution is a Fact of Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

Some people will tell you to soak and rinse to get rid of the molasses, but that's totally a judgement call on your part. I've fed plain beet pulp (pelleted) for 20 yrs and haven't ever found a horse who wouldn't eat it. I know people who have of course, but all mine have loved it. It can be fed dry if you prefer as well. I just got back from feeding and because it's going to be below zero yet again, i didn't soak my beet pulp. It freezes before they can eat it in these temps.

Just take a cup full of dry shreds and see if they'll eat them. You can take a cup full of them and soak them and see if they like it that way. What i always do when starting a new horse on beet pulp is top dress it with whatever grain ration they are getting.

Here's a website that can help you understand Beet pulp.

http://www.shady-acr...san/index.shtml

Make sure to read the infamous squirrel story!!!

Bumper

Founding member of GOATS: Guardian Of All Things Stray!

Jasper's #1 Fan!

Visit My Website, Harvest Kennels, Field Bred Springer Spaniels

#3 Ellie2WJumper89

Ellie2WJumper89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

I try to stay away from anything with excess sugars like molasses. I have an older mare, a mare who had laminitis this past summer, and a fat pony so all are kind of high-risk horses when it comes to too much sugar. Mine each get 1/4 lb of beet pulp AM and PM with the rest of their grain rations. I've never had a problem with them eating the plain beet pulp right out of the bag. In face they seem to love it. Just start out with a small amount and slowly increase it until he's eating the amount you want. He should get used to it pretty easily. Good luck!
<3 Caitlin

*Ellie's Way Won-1998 APHA Mare
*Renaissance Lady-1989 AQHA Mare

Rest In Peace
Sheza Breezy Willow
2.13.05-11.10.10

"No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come."
-Victor Hugo-

HC's Token Gay Girl and Resident Homosexual Penguin Expert

Another Hopeful Vet Student-My Blog

Board Buddies I've Met: t_aire_e, BuddyRoo, Lash Man and Al Girl, katie may, Goldentoes

#4 kidsncritters

kidsncritters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

I used to feed it but quit because I couldn't get the plain. I have an HYPP N/H horse that also has navicular. He couldn't have the molasses because it could trigger an attack. I never had any problem with him eating it- just being able to find it plain.
Leave only hoof prints!

#5 Bumper

Bumper

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

It's interesting, because here i've never seen beet pulp WITH molasses. Or i'll take that back, i saw my first bag of shreds a month or so ago and they had molasses. But every place i've seen it it's plain pellets.

Bumper

Jasper's #1 Fan!

#6 Ellie2WJumper89

Ellie2WJumper89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:04 AM

That's funny Bump, because my local feed store doesn't sell it in pellets, just shreds. And when you go up to the counter and ask for beet pulp shreds the question you're asked is "with molasses or without." Maybe a geographical thing?
<3 Caitlin

Rest In Peace
Sheza Breezy Willow
2.13.05-11.10.10

-Victor Hugo-

Board Buddies I've Met: t_aire_e, BuddyRoo, Lash Man and Al Girl, katie may, Goldentoes

#7 Apps4Life

Apps4Life

Chief Turd Burglar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

you're lucky, because you have to special order here if you want without molasses.. and then it's $16 for a bag duh.gif might as well feed a complete senior feed for that.
Posted Image

BBs Met: ShezaSmokinGun, Mule_Freak's mom =), Kristina, Demon's Mom, SpottedT, MUT, Ratts, Notyo, HFF (and Bella), Pinky, Chey, Lora, Lash, Tuck, BB Blue, Hoofs In Motion, Got Barrels?, Meeker, Tuper, The Sugar Lady, Harley, journeysgirl, BuddyRoo, KatieMay, MizParker, DiamondJake, QuarterFlash, Andi, SweetAddiction, RunninColors, SCSpots, Heidi and FLEquus!

RIP Misty, thank you for teaching me so much

~Samantha~
My Tack for Sale

#8 Chocomare

Chocomare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (Apps4Life @ Dec 10 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you're lucky, because you have to special order here if you want without molasses.. and then it's $16 for a bag

Hmmm, I must be lucky then. Plain BP shreds are $11 a bag right now.

I won't risk a choke by feeding it dry. Yes, it can be done but why add one more worry to your list?
Besides, anything to get more water into them is a good thing. My mares get it cold during spring/summer and warm/steamy during fall & winter. They loff it hot!
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." Gal. 5:1a --
http://forever-free-farm.tripod.com

#9 Bumper

Bumper

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

We pay about $11/bag now. Four or five years ago we paid $4.20 a bag! we bought it by the ton then and stored it.

Bumper

Jasper's #1 Fan!

#10 Ellie2WJumper89

Ellie2WJumper89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

It's $16 a bag here for a 40 lb bag. It's alright though because I don't feed too much of it...about 1 1/2 lbs per day total, so it lasts me about a month.
<3 Caitlin

Rest In Peace
Sheza Breezy Willow
2.13.05-11.10.10

-Victor Hugo-

#11 Apps4Life

Apps4Life

Chief Turd Burglar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

Wow, I can get with molasses shreds here for $9 and with molasses pellets for $10.50.. that's what I had been comparing it to.
Posted Image

BBs Met: ShezaSmokinGun, Mule_Freak's mom =), Kristina, Demon's Mom, SpottedT, MUT, Ratts, Notyo, HFF (and Bella), Pinky, Chey, Lora, Lash, Tuck, BB Blue, Hoofs In Motion, Got Barrels?, Meeker, Tuper, The Sugar Lady, Harley, journeysgirl, BuddyRoo, KatieMay, MizParker, DiamondJake, QuarterFlash, Andi, SweetAddiction, RunninColors, SCSpots, Heidi and FLEquus!

RIP Misty, thank you for teaching me so much

~Samantha~
My Tack for Sale

#12 ScorpionOcean

ScorpionOcean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

$15 bucks a bag here for 40 lbs