15 replies to this topic

#1 Running_Free

Running_Free

Ready? Set. Lope!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:03 AM

Okay, so long story short, we have been told that my friend's horse may have WLD. I will head out and try and get pictures for everyone, but he came up lame last week while being ridden. The vet came out this week and told us he could have an abscess since he has a deep chip/crack in his hind hoof which goes up about a 1/3 of the hoof. The vet told the owner to call the farrier and have him take a look asap. "Sam" is on natural hoof care and so today the hoof trimmer came out and said it could be white line disease. He trimmed accordingly and has suggested soaking the hoof (*edited) with White Lightning or CleanTrax to clean out any infection. They are also setting up an appointment in another 3-4 (no more than 4) to re-trim.

Between the time writing this post I got some shots after the trim and was wondering what people thought. Just some extra information this horse is fed Safe & Sound (cheaper generic-brand of SafeChoice) and has access to a round bale. He's kept outside 24/7 on an acre 1/2 and is ridden lightly. Weight wise I'd say he's a 6 on a condition score. The weather has been below freezing and ground conditions have been wet and muddy.

I'd just like to know what we are dealing with and what we can do it help aid the recovery process. Not to mention reassure my friend that her horse will be okay. (She searched pictures of WLD and is really worried).

Edited by Running_Free, 12 December 2009 - 02:07 AM.

~Emily

“Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn.” - John Wesley

I met a board buddy: JenniferLVAQHA, Horsenut, Missa, Goldiebabe (and Pat), Dragon, KuroReiAnge, Tuckaway, barefootpaws, TxPALOMINO-Kim (and hubby), and Skippysperson. Who's next?

#2 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

I don't think you use White Lightning or Clean Trax on a daily basis. It's more like a 40 minute soaking session, then you're done for now. It certainly would help. Regular farrier care to maintain the bevel is key to getting that crack grown out.

#3 Running_Free

Running_Free

Ready? Set. Lope!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:06 AM

Oh, okay, well that makes more sense. I wasn't sure about that because I've never used it before. Definitely wouldn't use until reading the directions in any case.
~Emily

“Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn.” - John Wesley

I met a board buddy: JenniferLVAQHA, Horsenut, Missa, Goldiebabe (and Pat), Dragon, KuroReiAnge, Tuckaway, barefootpaws, TxPALOMINO-Kim (and hubby), and Skippysperson. Who's next?

#4 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:44 AM

Is that a crack that won't go away or is it growing out? Honestly, it could be WLD, but it doesn't really look bad. Just do the soak with Clean Trax and keep on the trim. Possibly could add a hoof supp to speed some growth. I don't see anything to worry about tho.
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#5 Running_Free

Running_Free

Ready? Set. Lope!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:49 AM

As far as I know it's a crack that is reoccurring, but it's the lameness that has worried us.
~Emily

#6 shiloh04

shiloh04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:56 AM

If the lameness was sudden, even though the crack has been there a while, I would be more inclined to think abscess than WLD. Cracks like this can be a bear to grow out though. Your friend should ask the trimmer about touching up that toe between trimmings. It's really not difficult to do, and it would help that crack grow out more than anything else you can do for it.

You could try the CleanTrax or White Lightning. I don't know how much it's going to help for a crack that is probably packed with dirt, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

And your friend might want to consider adding a hoof supplement. I like SmartHoof the best of anything I have tried. It really does seem to do wonders for a horse with difficult hooves. For example, my mare stopped having issues with thrush when she was on it. It is pretty inexpensive, and there is usually a free shipping code available if you google "SmartPak coupon".

#7 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (Running_Free @ Dec 14 2009, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as I know it's a crack that is reoccurring, but it's the lameness that has worried us.

Whoa, I completely missed the lameness part. What kind of lameness is it? How does it affect the horse?

Did the vet actually test the horse for lameness to try and ID the cause? Does the trimmer have hoof testers? Severe WLD can cause wall seperation and other ugly things that may actually founder the horse, but I don't see anything that severe here. I just see a stubborn crack.

Some may disagree with me, but I think the toe wall has been bevaled to the point that it no longer supports the hoof. The beval on this horse's toe may be so severe that it cannot tolerate the pressure on the rest of the hoof.

Edited by ..::Felda::.., 14 December 2009 - 11:56 AM.

Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#8 Zinge

Zinge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

White line disease is a strong group of words. It looks like seedy toe to me, same idea as white line only much milder. Im currently working with a friends who's horses had seedy toe quite some time ago and now have full blown wld...much different!! Her horse's toe cracks looked the same as your pic. As someone mentioned I think its important for your friend to rasp between farrier visits. I would rasp just the area where the crack is so the horse is not putting any pressure on the crack. So a severe bevel where the crack is but a normal bevel around the rest of the hoof. To me it looks like the horse is still putting pressure on the crack area. And I would also treat with something like koppertox. Chances are there is a fungus in there. If she can keep the crack free of pressure and treatment with an anti fungal (white lightening and clean trax I hear are the best and a one time treatment) the lameness should go away and the crack should begin to grow out. I think the challenge for your friend will be trying to keep the hoof dry. We are going through that in our area this year, all is wet and muddy and fungus thrives in those conditions.
Please remember as many out here, Im no vet and Im no farrier....just my opinion.

#9 Zinge

Zinge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:22 PM

Oh, and another thought. The lameness could have absolutely nothing to do with the crack, or everything to do with the crack. Again, thinking of the wet muddy conditions the hooves are soft. We have had the worse year this year due to rain and mud. I have heard of friends taking horses to vet hospitals for terrible abscesses. I recently had one of my horses come up 3 legged lame and although I treated soaked, packed and wrapped I never saw a sign of a blown abscess. Took him 2 weeks to completely go back sound. So I guess my point is, you just never know. Who knows if there is an abscess, a deep bruise, or maybe the horse slipped and possibly injured his shoulder. So many possibilities. But I would still treat the crack, if its reoccuring its time to stop that.

#10 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

Areffe I just got the text of the before photo lmao. I am going to say she def. has a case of seedy toe/beginning of wld. So yeah, I still agree with what we discussed in chat with the precautions. If the owner does her part with treatment, and keeping it clean and dry, then halos mom and her hubby will be able to get her straightened right out, shouldnt take more then another trim or 3 at the most I would guess, if the owner does her part.
Show me your horses and I will tell you what kind of person you are.

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall gently on your fields.

Run Chicken Little RUN!

Knowledge is power
I met boardbuddies! Bryna, lpalomino, scapoose, wrangler, mydakota, Andi, Reiner0227,silverdreamer, Rodentra, desperate horsewife, Remy, xpasocorto, PacaPaca, Equuzen, Lightning strikes twice, and VAQHMA!
Mandy Eagle '03 Paint mare
Elfin Magic '86 Saddlebred mare
Settn the Hotrod Bar '07 QH gelding
Raisn the Hotrod Bar '08 QH gelding
Meko '88ish pony mare

RIP Sweet Vaga
Poco Vaga Bar
4/2/86-3/27/09
RIP Phoenix
CT Booger
2/2/02-8/28/09

http://fishycitysupplies.webs.com/

#11 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

Living life with the ponies!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

Hello folks just thought i would chime in here. The bevel was put on strong to remove all pressure off the crack for the time being. I spoke with the owner and told her according to the pictures that i saw that it may be the beginning of WLD and could be treated and corrected. The owner was just very worried after researching online and seeing what WLD is. Here is a before picture of the same hoof.

This horse has gone lame on this foot and so that is what makes me think he has some seedy toe/WLD wanting to get nasty in there. The owner is taking him back to the vet to x-ray and see if there is any separation in there and if so how far it goes.

We are fully aware that this can be gone with prudent care and keeping the hoof shaped between trims and that has been discussed with the owner as well.

edited to add that i did have pictures of the bottom but they are gone from my phone unfortunately. In those pictures when you look at it from the bottom the crack goes all the way through the WL. I told hubby to take it high and tight and that's what you are seeing in the after pics. He does not usually do so drastic a bevel but in this case i felt it was needed.

Edited by Halo's Mom, 14 December 2009 - 04:44 PM.

#12 HorsesInParadise

HorsesInParadise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

I just got thru growing my horse's hoof out from WHL that started out looking just like that crack. She ended up having the foot resectioned by the vet and also xrays. Then she was shod over about a 6 month period by the therapeutic farrier that worked with this vet. She has now recovered completely.

The vet and his farrier both had me treating daily with Koppertox. I put it on at the back of the hoof letting it run forward until it drips off the front of the toe while I am holding the foot (hard to explain but I hold the hoof just like I was going to pick it out). I still do this about 3 times a week and daily in rainy weather.

That crack that you are seeing in your horse's foot allows water to get inside of it. The Koppertox not only treats any fungus in there but helps to create an oily barrier to the wetness. Best of luck.

#13 LassieLu

LassieLu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

Trying to learn here...
So as far as seeing WLD, is it the crack that 'could' be an indicator of it or what?
The sole photo looks relatively normal to me....am I not seeing something?
Thanks for your help!
When you're young and you fall off a horse, you may break something. When you're my age and you fall off, you splatter. - Roy Rogers

Everyone has a photographic memory...some people just don't have any film! The Arch 106.5

#14 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

The sole is fine but if you would have seen a picture of the hoof from the bottom before it was trimmed you would have seen that the crack goes all the way through the white line and in far enough that it's allwoing the bacteria to invade therefore causing lameness in that hoof. The picture you are looking at is after the trim where the bevel was applied all the way back to the white line to remove all pressure off the crack so it's won't get any deeper causing more space for the infection to get into. The name of the game here is keep it trimed, clean and use a product to kill the existing bacteria or fungus that is invading that space so that the hoof has enough time to heal and grow then as the trim is maintained the crack and space will go away. Hope this helps.

Edited by Halo's Mom, 15 December 2009 - 10:45 PM.

#15 LassieLu

LassieLu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Halo!!
When you're young and you fall off a horse, you may break something. When you're my age and you fall off, you splatter. - Roy Rogers

Everyone has a photographic memory...some people just don't have any film! The Arch 106.5

#16 Halo's Mom

Halo's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

Your welcome! Just wanted to add that this horse will be coming to stay with me for a week or two to make sure he heals since his pasture seems to be a muddy mess. We plan to keep him nice a dry stalled with turnout and maintain the trim. He has already had the white lightning soaks so he should make good progress as long as we keep him dry. I will post pictures as he progresses for those that want to learn. winking0073.gif