9 replies to this topic

#1 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

We're having my mare seen by a vet Thursday afternoon to have her reproductive system checked out because she's just been "off" recently and is having a really rough heat cycle in general, so we're concerned that there may be a cyst/s on her ovaries.

So, since we've got the vet visit under control...I was wondering what they would do if they do find these cysts? Is it a surgical procedure to remove them? Very invasive or only slightly?

Thanks for the info :)
Bosses Big Deal "Eeyore" 1991 AQHA Gelding
My Partner
It Must Be Blue "Savannah" 2004 AQHA Mare
My Future

#2 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,196 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

Usually nothing is done, as it't pretty invasive. I have an old broodie with that problem. Doesn't cause her pain, but made her very difficult to get pregnant, which is why I got a $10,000 mare for cheap. Took me 5 years to get 2 foals, but they were worth it. Last one was pretty rough, so she's retired now.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#3 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hmm.

Will they suggest something like Regumate then? Because with how she is now, she seems to be in a fair amount of pain and it's causing some problems in her training. During show season she's on Regumate, but we take her off of it during the "off" season or whenever we'll be home for long periods of time. Will keeping her on something more long term her discomfort?

She just seems so miserable right now, it's bumming me out for her. And it's come on rather "suddenly", as in over the past couple heat cycles she's gotten touchier and touchier, which we find odd for her because she's generally VERY pleasant and lovely during her heat cycles.
My Partner
My Future

#4 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,196 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

If it's just a recent thing, and she's young, there's a possibility it may resolve itself in time. Best to see what the vet can tell you. My old gal has had hers for about 8 years now. Never seems to bother her any more.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#5 Beckham03

Beckham03

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

I have seen them treated with Regumate...
If you say nothing to a horse, you mean nothing to a horse.-Robert Dover
Proud owner of:
"This Charming Man"-Winston: 20 year old, bay, Appendix QH, Semi-retired, but still working and being rotten:-) The boss man!
"Bend it Like Beckham"-Beckham: 7 year old, black, Perch/TB. Showing Second Level and schooling Third.
"Grand Temptress Shelby-Shelby: 15 year old, bay, Oldenburg. Second and Third Level.

"You will never get to Grand Prix waving a carrot stick at a Warmblood."

#6 codysmom

codysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

Is this a mare you plan on breeding in the future? If the regumate doesn't work, there are cysts on the ovaries and you do not plan on breeding her you might consider getting her spayed.
Buddies met: Runnin'Colors, SCSpots, Abadan Arabians, Char & qhridinGA

#7 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

Bear with me here, as this is a pet peeve of mine. These "ovarian cysts" in mares ARE NOT OVARIAN CYSTS!!! And they don't need treatment or cause hormonal imbalances either. Women get cysts, cows get cysts. Mares do not. These structures formerly known as cysts are generally anovulatory follicles. They start as normal follicles and for some reason, never get the hormonal LH message to ovulate. So they grow and grow and grow and nothing happens. Some times they will fill with blood & fibrin and become hemorrhagic anovulatory follicles. In either case, nature will eliminate them over time, generally within 1-3 months. Since they don't undergo ovulation, they don't leutenize and subsequently don't produce progesterone, which a normal ovulated corpus luteum will. As a result, there is no physiological end point to the mare's estrus cycle and which is why they continue to act in behavioral heat. Its the presence of a progesterone secreting corpus luteum that leads to the end of a heat cycle.

Some mares have chronic problems with these and often times will have concurrent endocrine issues. Thought is that the entire hormonal axis is messed up to begin with.

This time of year, its EXTREMELY common for mares to be having rough heat cycles as they come out of the winter anestrus. It takes about 60 days of increasing daylight for these girls to mount an adequate hormonal surge to ovulate, so same thing holds true....They grow these huge transitional follicles and often times many of them, which then regress back and start over for the next cycle.

*Steps off the soap box and goes back to grumbling about the misinformation some vets spew.....*

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#8 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:50 AM

CVM -- Explain something to me please???

What is the difference between a 'cystic follicle' and an 'anovulatory follicles'?

My old Vet that just retired was a very good breeding Vet. He called a follicle that would not ovulate a 'persistent follicle' and if it got sore and a mare went into orbit when he palpated it he called it a 'cystic follicle'. Were these just different names (maybe 'old' names) for the same thing you are talking about? Will a shot of LH or HCG force an anovulatory follicle to ovulate?

#9 JumperCrazy

JumperCrazy

Just Jump It

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,047 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

codysmom: There are no immediate breeding plans as we want to her to have a few years in the show ring first, but yes, she is an eventual breeding candidate so spaying her is not really an option right now so long as it's not something that NEEDS to be done.

CVM: I didn't know how else to word it, really because I didn't know the correct terms. It wasn't information I got from a vet that was just ME talking. She's my first mare so I've never dealt with their little issues like this. The vet she's seeing actually specializes in reproduction and is very, very good. And just today my trainer brought up the follicle deal, so yes, that's cleared up.

Should she have one of these anovulatory follicle, what is done about it? Do they administer the hormone to clear it out? Will it eventually rid itself naturally? In the two years I've had her she's just never had this rough of a heat cycle and I just feel for her as she seems to be very uncomfortable.
My Partner
My Future

#10 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (Cheri Wolfe @ Jan 6 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the difference between a 'cystic follicle' and an 'anovulatory follicles'?

My old Vet that just retired was a very good breeding Vet. He called a follicle that would not ovulate a 'persistent follicle' and if it got sore and a mare went into orbit when he palpated it he called it a 'cystic follicle'. Were these just different names (maybe 'old' names) for the same thing you are talking about? Will a shot of LH or HCG force an anovulatory follicle to ovulate?

I would guess that yes, the term "cystic follicles" as used above would be the same as an anovulatory follicle. These things do NOT respond to hormonal treatment and no, hCG or deslorelin will not induce them to ovulate. True ovarian cysts--I personally have one--CAN be controlled with hormones.

Jumper,
This time of year, as I mentioned above, mares are what we call transitional as they're coming out of winter anestrus. As the days get longer, the cycles will regulate and she should ovulate uneventfully. Transitional follicles are normal follicles that don't get the hormonal input via the pituitary gland. Anovulatory follicles are those that have normal pituitary input, yet don't respond.

Edited by cvm2002, 06 January 2010 - 06:49 PM.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com